Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi geekychick!

Doubt I'll make Black Swan early this weekend but am hoping to be around to see Winter's Bone in the Town Hall on Sunday night if you or anybody else would fancy it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

How's everybody keeping?

I really don't like How To Be Good so far, it will be a struggle to read the last 100 pages to be honest.

I signed up for the library, free books at last, hurrah!!

I'm going to see Black Swan tomorrow.
    EYE Treat of the Week

To reward our loyal customers, we have set up a scheme called 'EYE Treat of the Week' that involves offering a Screening of a popular movie every Saturday & Sunday morning in the Luxury Screen at the Early Bird rate of 5 euro per ticket. Only 40 seats are available for this event so we advise to book in advance or arrive at the Cinema bright and early.The movie selected for this Saturday 29th & Sunday 30th of January 2011 is 'Black Swan' (16) playing both days at 11.55am.

Only 5 euro and in the luxury screen! you are welcome to join me if you would like.
    I'm also going to see Winter's Bone on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

The €5 deal sounds good, hyperbaby.

I think I may join you so! :)

I'll give you a shout anon.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Black Swan love to go and that sounds a great deal how do we book it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Five quid?

Saturday morning?

Sounds too good to be true.

I'll go along if there's tickets still to be found.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Bump

Howdy, fraid I won't be able to attend tonight.
    Hyperbaby, I'll have the bookseller of Kabul with me at the next meeting.
    Anyway, was there talk of a table quiz or something of that nature? If it's happening let me know. Who knows I may even be able to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

In advance I would like to say sorry for this review. I don’t like to offend somebody, it’s only my way of looking at things.

This book has made what not many books has made. It annoyed me. The frantic attempt to be jocular was tedious. Sure jokes at clichés are everywhere around us and most of them are funny. But only very few in this book.
    Actually were the jokes not the worst point for me. The book is solely crammed full of moral. And again a book with moral is of course good. But how much moral can a book bear?
    From the beginning wailing during the whole book. All is bad and everything need to be changed. As if this wasn’t enough: a faith healer!!! And the end of the book was anyhow different than I thought, but not better than the rest. The story was rather trivial.
    I would like nothing better than to write something good about this book, but maybe I’m too bad to write something good. I think I should look in the phone book to find a faith healer.

Hi follks!

So, the quiz is on upstairs in Monroe's this coming Friday night the 4th, followed followed by a night of live music for anyone who's up for it.:cool: I would advise you to be there early as there's a lot of interest and it needs to begin at 8 on the dot to facilitate the bands afterwards. The price of a table is e40 and if any table is short I'm sure we can find a friend you haven't met yet to make up a full team. A prize for best team name isn't confirmed yet but hopefully there'll be something to reward the more imaginative. ;)

If you've any questions if I've forgotten anything please let me know. I know my sister appreciates the fact that you're coming so thanks so much, it's a very worthy cause. :D

In advance I would like to say sorry for this review. I don’t like to offend somebody, it’s only my way of looking at things.

This book has made what not many books has made. It annoyed me. The frantic attempt to be jocular was tedious. Sure jokes at clichés are everywhere around us and most of them are funny. But only very few in this book.
    Actually were the jokes not the worst point for me. The book is solely crammed full of moral. And again a book with moral is of course good. But how much moral can a book bear?
    From the beginning wailing during the whole book. All is bad and everything need to be changed. As if this wasn’t enough: a faith healer!!! And the end of the book was anyhow different than I thought, but not better than the rest. The story was rather trivial.
    I would like nothing better than to write something good about this book, but maybe I’m too bad to write something good. I think I should look in the phone book to find a faith healer.
    I disliked the book immensely so I agree with most of your review.
    I disliked the main character, her whinginess and her attitude.
    Her kids, her husband and GoodNews irked the sh!t out of me as well.
    Even though it was easy to read I found it a big struggle to finish it because I just didn't care what happened to any of characters or about their quest to be good.

I'll be there, carol123. Looking forward to it! :)

I think it would be a good idea if everyone coming aimed at being there around 7:30? Just so there is no rush and we can get good table(s). :D

• Advertisement

That's a great idea geekychick, as it looks like we might need their larger room to hold the numbers. :cool:

Right, hands up if you are going to the quiz this evening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭spender.j

I'l be at the quiz! Apologies for not making the meeting on Tuesday, I'll do better next time... :)

Also, a friend of mine joining me if there's room...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

Hello ,
    was just reading about the eye cinema sounds good! luxury screen very fancy. Hope the pub quiz went well. I couldn't venture out in the gale winds even though our crazy ice cream man was out circling the estate, pedaling his wares..
    I was think about book choices and was thinking of picking Kate Atkinson "Started Early Took my dog" think thats after Remains of the Day , which I am going to purchase today!
    Have good weekend everyone!

Hi folks!
    Just to say thanks to the guys who came to the quiz on Friday and no worries anyone who couldn't make it.:-) Team BC won best team name by the way! Hurray! :-D

15/02: "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee", geekychick's nom
    01/03: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier, spenderj's nom
    15/03: "Started Early Took My Dog" by Kate Atkinson, deedana's nom
    29/03: "The Remains Of The Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro, carol123's nom

hyperbaby, isn't this the order of the upcoming noms:

15/02:
    "The Private Lives of Pippa Lee", geekychick's nom
    01/03: "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier, spenderj's nom
    15/03: "The Remains Of The Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro, carol123's nom
    29/03: "Started Early Took My Dog" by Kate Atkinson, deedana's nom

as per deedana's post?

If memory serves me correct deeDana 's was before carol123 because it has been longer since she nominated a book. Either way i don't mind..

Don't think it matters really. Can't see either of us falling out over it! :)

FYI from Facebook:

Third week in the Irish Top Ten non-fiction bestsellers for The Grass Arena. Also, the title chapter from John Healy's long-awaited novel The Metal Mountain will appear in next weekend's Irish Times. It's the beginning of a new chapter in John Healy's extraordinary life.

• Advertisement

Going to see The Fighter tomorrow morning in the Eye at 11.50 am for €5.
    Anyone care to join me?

Hi hyperbaby,

I won't be able to make it tomorrow. Enjoy! :)

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Going to see The Fighter tomorrow morning in the Eye at 11.50 am for €5.
    Anyone care to join me?

Blast just seen your post and it 12.30 would have gone with you teach me to check book club updates. Anything on in town hall tomorrow worth going to.

Ah that's a pity. Martty123 came with me though.
    It was great, Christian Bale is an amazing actor.

I'm not that interested in going but an animated Spanish movie is on tomorrow evening in the town hall
    http://www.tht.ie/1174/Chico-and-Rita

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_123833927673803&ap=1

I had some interested in the book club today on our facebook page so to make sure both are working together I'm putting the link to our facebook page here and have put the link to our Boards page on the facebook page.

Ah that's a pity. Martty123 came with me though.
    It was great, Christian Bale is an amazing actor.

I'm not that interested in going but an animated Spanish movie is on tomorrow evening in the town hall
    http://www.tht.ie/1174/Chico-and-Rita
    Think i will give it a miss no interest, saw True Grit the original on tv today might go to the new version when it here, see you Tuesday

Hi everybody!

Won't make it tonight I'm afraid :(, so enjoy. really liked the book by the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

are new members welcomed still?
    i've read the book in all!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi,

New members are always welcome. There's a meeting this evening around 8pm in the Cottage Bar, Salthill. We usually sit in the first room on the left immediately inside the front door. Hopefully I'll see you later.

• Advertisement

FYI from Facebook:

Third week in the Irish Top Ten non-fiction bestsellers for The Grass Arena. Also, the title chapter from John Healy's long-awaited novel The Metal Mountain will appear in next weekend's Irish Times. It's the beginning of a new chapter in John Healy's extraordinary life.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0212/1224289304235.html

Oh el preseidente, we haven't seen you in ages!

Advertisement