Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

My apologies to everyone in the BC for not showing up for the last while. I have been trying to sort out a lot of things. I'll do my best to make it this evening. God, I don't even know what book we are supposed to have read :)

The shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

I'll make it tonight, it feels like a long while since I was there.

Of course I'll be stupidly late.

If I make it in I might be a bit late also. See ye later.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

My apologies to everyone in the BC for not showing up for the last while. I have been trying to sort out a lot of things. I'll do my best to make it this evening. God, I don't even know what book we are supposed to have read :)

The shame

El Presidente, you are now officially denounced!
    :p

This week's book is The Private Lives Of Pippa Lee by Rebecca Miller.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

At the beginning of this book you discover that Pippa move with her husband in a village for only retirees. Her husband is old enough for this place but not Pippa (she is 30 years younger than her husband). It’s very hard for her to live in a community, where people settle one’s affairs. Next she found out that she is a sleepwalker. For example she went shopping at night (the shops are clossed) dressed with a nightdress. Next up another topic, (there are many different topics) the difficult relationship Pippa and her daughter. The question I asked me: Why is this relationship so difficult and I got the answer in the book. The topic expands throughout the book. Bit by bit I found out more background knowledge.
    Other topics are Pippa’s side trip to the local SM – scene and her drug addiction. How she got her first drugs and her plummet collapse and the way out was broached (but not enough deep sealer for my liking).
    In the meantime was the life of the minor characters (insofar as for the story) described. Each one of these stories are enjoyable and sensitive written and are complementary to a diverting reading.
    My questions to you: Were there too many topics (that the story was too superficial)? Would it be better, if there is more room for example the topic “drugs”? Or would that matter that the book would be boring, if it be stretched? (I really hope you could understand what I mean.)
    I think that this book is entertaining, but too shallow to linger in the memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

I'd really like to join, I need an kick up the arse to do things. Can someone give me that kick?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

@ germanSandra:

Sorry I managed to miss your latest post somehow, but I am glad you didn't dislike the book too much. :) I think it is a very decent debut novel and I really enjoyed it! Yes, it touched on several interesting themes but didn't dwell on too many, which for me was kind of refreshing, I just went with its flow, so to speak. The characterisations are especially well done, everyone in there is a pretty rounded personality and I think that always helps a lot in terms of drawing a reader into the novel's world.

@ jackthelad321:

newbies always welcome! :) Next meeting is the coming Tuesday, at 8-8:30 pm at The Cottage Bar, and the book discussed is Charles Frazier's "Cold Mountain".

(Although it will have to be a pretty strong kick for the distance from Limerick... just saying...)

Hey, Is it always a tuesday at that time or does it vary? Am doing a night class at 7-9 for next few weeks.

I live in Galway, never bother me arse changing the limerick thing.

geekychick wrote: »
    @ germanSandra:

Sorry I managed to miss your latest post somehow, but I am glad you didn't dislike the book too much. :)

I have to say sorry when you (or the others too) could think that I dislike this book. I liked it, but there where some things I wanted to read your opinions. And how could I achieve it without a basis for discussion?;)

Be that as it will, I can't writing something about Cold Mountain (anyhow not yet, because I only read ca. 60 pages - I enjoy the beginning of it and I'm sure I'll like the rest, too) and the book Started Early Took My Dog doesn't exist in German language, so I won't write anything about this one.

Hey, Is it always a tuesday at that time or does it vary? Am doing a night class at 7-9 for next few weeks.

I live in Galway, never bother me arse changing the limerick thing.

We meet up at the said location every second Tuesday, starting at around the time specified. People keep dropping in til late, we usually stay til closing time. :eek: :D So it doesn't really matter if you are "late". Or you can join once you've finished the other thing... all the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Ebsis

I still haven´t made it to the bookclub, but am hoping to make it on the 15th of March.
    The name of the book sounds unusual(Started early took my dog), so I´m looking forward to reading it.

Anyone going to the Dublin Book Festival next week?

geekychick wrote: »
    We meet up at the said location every second Tuesday, starting at around the time specified. People keep dropping in til late, we usually stay til closing time. :eek: :D So it doesn't really matter if you are "late". Or you can join once you've finished the other thing... all the best.

It could be a touch late, but I might pop down for a look after class, which ends around half nine, be there by around 10 i suppose. Won't have the book read though, but might just come for a look see.

Will aim to def. go the following week, again might have to join later. It might just get me under pressure to read a book anyway, which is step one. Plus i'd never think to read that type of book. I usually buy massive classics that i just never read.

Pretentious, Moi?:D

Ebsis wrote: »
    I still haven´t made it to the bookclub, but am hoping to make it on the 15th of March.
    The name of the book sounds unusual(Started early took my dog), so I´m looking forward to reading it.

Anyone going to the Dublin Book Festival next week?

http://www.dublinbookfestival.com/

I might go to it on Saturday since I will have time to kill and am going to Dublin anyway.

Does anyone know if there is an up to date list of all the books read in the book club? I know there was something put up on Google docs but that was a good while ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 TellTalesIrl

Also check out Thursday is world book day on www.worldbookday.com

Loose lips may be of interest to ye too, on the last Wednesady of each month upstairs in the Roisin Dubh, where attendees can share a story or just listen. February's theme was 'Excuses' for a 5 minute story from whomever. :)

Does anyone know if there is an up to date list of all the books read in the book club? I know there was something put up on Google docs but that was a good while ago.
    This is about 2 months out of date
    https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH#gid=0

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi folks!

For anyone who hasn't yet got their hands on Started Early, Took My Dog, Charlie Byrnes' has just got a new supply, and they're the more recent paperback copies.:)

*coughs and bumps*

Well it is Tuesday after all...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Just received this email through our facebook page. I'll give her my contact details so she can send me the programmes. Shall I also tell her she can attend the next meeting?

I'm away in Dublin for work for the next 6 weeks so I won't be able to attend the next few meetings. Who will I put this girl in contact with about maybe coming to the next meeting if people are interested?

http://www.galwayartscentre.ie/cuirt

Subject: Cúirt International Festival of Literature
    I work for Cúirt International Festival of Literature, which will be taking place in Galway from 12-17 April this year. I was wondering if your group would be interested in attending some events; we could work out a discounted rate for groups of 5/6 or more. If you could give me an address I can send you on some programmes. The Programme Director, Dani Gill, and I would be interested in coming to join your group for your next meeting!

All the best,

Fíodhna

That's sounds cool.

You can put her in contact with me if you want or if anyone else wants to I don't mind.

We are finally getting the recognition we deserve!!

• Advertisement

"Yes, please" to getting some discounted tickets for the Cuirt! :D

We've been talking about going to see the French film "On Tour" in the THT on Sunday, so am just making it official that I will be going - whoever wants to join, post here or text (as usual...:)).

The film starts at 08:15 PM, so meeting in front at around 8 seems ok, yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Howdy folks, better get my arse in gear and nominate a book!

I'm going to put forward The Book of Evidence by John Banville for your consideration. Should be in plentiful supply around the place.

I was going to nominate a book after higamos hogamos' choice.
    The week of my nomination is the week Cuirt is on.
    Should we pick a book that is related to Cuirt or not?
    The author of the book I was going to pick was at Cuirt, but that was in 2007.
    What do ye guys reckon?

Howdy folks, better get my arse in gear and nominate a book!

I'm going to put forward The Book of Evidence by John Banville for your consideration. Should be in plentiful supply around the place.

So is this the book for next tuesday (i haven't been before)?

Nevermind, I was mistaken...

Upcoming nominations:
    29/03: "The Remains Of The Day" by Kazuo Ishiguro, carol123's nom
    12/04: "The Book of Evidence" by John Banville, higamos hogamos' nom
    26/04: "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, hyperbaby's nom

Well hello Book Club.....

Upcoming nominations:
    12/04: "The Book of Evidence" by John Banville, higamos hogamos' nom
    26/04: "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, hyperbaby's nom
    10/04: "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" by Milan Kundera, collective nom

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_123833927673803&ap=1

Goodbye for now...

Hi all

am just finishing 'the remains of the day' and really wanted to come last night but things got in the way... that and i only began it monday night! :o Well, I might post my thoughts on the book here when i have it finished... would that be ok... maybe I can attach it...

JAK

Hi Jack,

absolutely, you are very welcome to post your thoughts on the book on here. Members posting their reviews is one of the main reasons for the thread's existence, although it has been woefully lost amid all the minutiae of the Book Club life... :D

Most of us present last night enjoyed the novel and found it both easy to read and well crafted indeed. I found the butler's characterisation particularly compelling and real (as well as very sad); he is such a deluded and defended man in so many ways that one can't help but feel sorry for him!

Also, taking the opportunity to officially welcome our three newest members, who quite unexpectedly but very felicitously joined us last night; hope to see ye on-thread as well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Updated GBC book list below. I think someone was looking for this recently.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH

• Advertisement

I also think that this novel was easy to read. It was like a real person told his life story. And this was a sad story. Actually it’s a story of a man who lives only for his work. I believe each boss wants an employee like Stevens. There was nothing else in his life. Not much fun, no free time, no own opinion. At the end of the story Stevens understood for only a brief moment that something went wrong in past. At this moment the novel has the saddest point. Immediately after that he only thought again about his work (as if he couldn’t live on with this knowing). It’s a powerfully eloquent, grippping story. I was moved and sometimes chafe at the fact that nobody could explain Stevens a better way to live and that dreams can enrich life. But this involve that he had to think about himself and and only about his lord.

Once more (like Never let me go) a really great novel by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Advertisement