Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi everybody!

These are the details of the quiz I'm running as part of my fundraising for A-Z Children's Charity which I'll be travelling to work with this Summer. For anyone who doesn't know yet the orgamisation works with children who have been made vulnerable by the effects of HIV or AIDS. The Big Night is in Monroe's Tavern on Friday 6th May st 8pm sharp. Prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, also spot prizes and prize for best team name. e40 per table with free entry to the late live music venue afterwards. I'd really appreciate as much help as I could possibly get. Thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I will do my best to go to the quiz and I'm sure we will get a team of boardsies to go too.

Any new book nominations or did I miss any shenanigans last night?

Anybody going to anything in Cuirt this week?

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I will do my best to go to the quiz and I'm sure we will get a team of boardsies to go too.

Any new book nominations or did I miss any shenanigans last night?

Anybody going to anything in Cuirt this week?

Thanks for that hyperbaby! Yes calling all boardsies the Quizaganza of the year!!! It was Breeda's last night so she's going to nominate from far off Agadir. :o

Not sure if I'll make it to anything. Moving house this week. If someone posts a possible event I'll see if it suits. Would be a shame to miss out!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Put me down for the quiz please! I do enjoy a table quiz and I should definitely be able to make that night.

I'm hoping to be at the next meeting. I'm long overdue the catch up with you all!

• Advertisement

I just googled "from far off Agadir" thinking it was the name of the next book!!! I then twigged what it meant!

Well if it's not it should be!:D

I thought the same as well, I was like I wonder what that book is about.

Might go to something in Cuirt on Saturday, there is a couple of plays on or I might go to the poetry slam which is on Saturday afternoon.

Good luck with your move Carol123 and we are looking forward to your return Martty!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Biddybogy

Hello, just wondering what the schedule is for the upcoming book club meetings, I have meant to join before but am intent on making it this time! thanks for your time, :)

Upcoming nominations:
    26/04: "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, hyperbaby's nom
    10/05: "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" by Milan Kundera, collective nom

• Advertisement

Upcoming nominations:
    26/04: "Atonement" by Ian McEwan, hyperbaby's nom
    10/04: "The Unbearable Lightness Of Being" by Milan Kundera, collective nom

Then bethm is to nominate 'From Far Off Agadir'...:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi Biddybogy. Don't know if anyone else has replied to your post, but the next meeting is in the cottage bar in Salthill on tuesday the 26th. People usually don't arrive until after about 830.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

Hi folks. Won't be making it tonight. It's the same story as the last time, some nights of the week I finish at a later time and by the time the finish arrives, it's far too late to go really.
    Hopefully this won't be the case in a fortnight, so all being well should be there next time.

Hi folks. Won't be making it tonight. It's the same story as the last time, some nights of the week I finish at a later time and by the time the finish arrives, it's far too late to go really.
    Hopefully this won't be the case in a fortnight, so all being well should be there next time.

Ok but you'd better make my quiz or you're a dead man. Ya hear me hogamos? A dead man!!!!!!!!:eek:

Sorry folks, wasn't able to make it again this evening. I will still be able to make the table quiz though if my names been included?!

Martty81 wrote: »
    Sorry folks, wasn't able to make it again this evening. I will still be able to make the table quiz though if my names been included?!

No worries Martty81. Will be great to see you back though, things are starting to get a bit quiet in the BC. Of course you're still included in the quiz! And anyone else that might fancy it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi guys. I'm going to stick with On The Road, by Jack Kerouac for my nomination. The book is a pretty divisive one due to the style of writing, so it would be interesting to see what people make of it.

Upcoming nominations:
    24/05: "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac, Robert1782's nom

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

First back to the beginn of the year: The House of the Sprits by Isabel Allende

A wonderful written family epos. All members of the family were described that I could picture them myself, as if there were real.
    The historical and political part was insofar moving as the current distress in North Africa and special Libya. (Insurgencies, oppression, despair and a seemingly hopeless plight)
    Only a little point I didn’t really like: It was in spots a fairy story. (flying tables, chairs, playing a piano without touching the piano keys, …)
    But that was only a part of this book, the rest was impressive and gripping.

The Book of Evidence by John Banville

Since the beginning it was clearly recognisable what will happened: He is behind bars and than he told his story. First I thought: what a dumb-ass, but with more background knowledge I had pities with him. The descriptions of the people, places, actions are well elaborate. And the end is a little bit like American Psycho. What really happened? Yes, the whole story is fiction, but …
    By the way I saw the movie American Psycho. The movie is good, but the book is better.

Nomination

I’m really glad to hear that I may choose a book once more. I hope the book Murphy by Samuel Backett will be a good choose. We will see.

Hi folks!
    For anyone who thinks they might like to become a new member you have the chance to meet some of us before the next meeting. On Friday I hold a quiz at 8pm upstairs in Monroe's to raise money for a charity with which I travel in July to do volunteer work. All money raised goes directly to the organisation(ie A-Z Children's Charity who care for and educate children left vulnerable through HIV and AIDS). So feel free to pop along and see if we're too weird or not weird enough for ya! :D

C

• Advertisement

Upcoming nominations:
    07/06: "Murphy" by Samuel Beckett, germanSandra's nom

Upcoming nominations:
    07/06: "Murphy" by Samuel Beckett, germanSandra's nom

That's a great list... Makes us look very clever! :D

Sure we are clever!
    That mandatory IQ test to get into the book club was really difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

I'll be there to partake in the quiz tomorrow night.

Threatening me with death usually proves effective.

I'll be there to partake in the quiz tomorrow night.

Threatening me with death usually proves effective.

Excellent! Just as well, I was getting my toenail pliers ready!:D

carol123 wrote: »
    Excellent! Just as well, I was getting my toenail pliers ready!:D

Ugh! Thats seriously disgusting!

So how many teams are we having and how many on each team? I don't want to get stuck with any duds!

Martty81 wrote: »
    Ugh! Thats seriously disgusting!

So how many teams are we having and how many on each team? I don't want to get stuck with any duds!

It is...and very painful! :mad:Not exactly sure how many teams, but it's 4 per team max, e40 per table. Something for best team name so be creative! Tristan and Martty81 are coming too. A reunion! :D Could be a slight change in that it may be downstairs, dunno yet but everyone would still get into the live venue for free.

I'm going!
    I hope we have someone on the team that can answer the sports round!

Higomanos, Martty, Tristan, me, geekchick(?), Robert1978(?) and anyone else? We could manage to make two teams!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Higomanos

Sounds Spanish... Ole!! :D

Yeah, I'll be there - see ye all soon! :)

• Advertisement

No worries re finding more bodies to make up the teams. There'll be plenty floating around! See everybody soon!:cool:

Advertisement