Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

Hi everybody!
    Thanks for coming to the quiz on Friday. It raised e690, which is a good chunk of my target and will go a long way in Uganda. Hope to see every one this evening and well done to the champs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

First a big success for me: I read this book in time. Yay!

This book did it in my top ten with ease.
    A mix off lovestory, politic, philosophy, melancholic, human abysses ...
    Profound thoughts, interpersonal relationships were literarily described.
    Acutally it's book about a love triangle. But it's much more than a lovestory. Dreams of these people were described and how they crumble.
    All was analysed: love, betrayal, trust, richness, lightness, spiritual abyss, misery, desperation, guilt, ...
    Fact is: It isn't a normal novel. But in my way of thinking a brilliant book (profound and sophisticated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

I'll be there tonight, but I'll be late as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I'll be late too, but not as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

I was just updating the Books List and noticed that this is the second time On the Road has been nominated in the life of Galway Book Club!

Murphy by Samuel Beckett was to be our 80th book but has now been demoted to 79th. Out of the 79 I've read 24 and a half!

What's your number?!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH

• Advertisement

Martty81 wrote: »
    I was just updating the Books List and noticed that this is the second time On the Road has been nominated in the life of Galway Book Club!

Murphy by Samuel Beckett was to be our 80th book but has now been demoted to 79th. Out of the 79 I've read 24 and a half!

What's your number?!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AizyyHWRI72LdFNwVmZ4ckJuZGU1LWtmVGk0Uk54MkE&hl=en&authkey=CKir3cwH

That's true Martty81 but it's been so long ago that none of us have read it so we decided it was worth another go. :)

24 books too which i find hard to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

have been looking for a book club in galway, would it be ok if i joined? Going by previous posts you guys seem to have a decent taste. where et when do you usually meet?

tompneary wrote: »
    have been looking for a book club in galway, would it be ok if i joined? Going by previous posts you guys seem to have a decent taste. where et when do you usually meet?

Hi tompneary

We meet every second Tuesday night in the Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill, starting 8.30-9pm ish. Next meeting is Tuesday 24th when we will discuss On the Road by Jack Kerouac. We're in the little room on the left just indside the door. Hope to see you there. Even if you haven't read the book yet, come along anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi everyone,

and thank you for patiently waiting for my nomination.

As the summer has been getting closer, and the corresponding drop-off in attendance has been getting more and more pronounced (only three - 3 :eek: - of us at the last meet!), I feel a bit braver and more justified in my indulgence in nominating a "lighter" kind of read... after all, it's not like it will be read by a huge number of ye anyway. :p

My nomination for 21st of June is Julie Powell's "Julie & Julia".

24/05: Kerouac's "On The Road"
    07/06: Beckett's "Murphy"
    21/06: Powell's "Julie & Julia"

Also, I would like to take the opportunity to invite any lurkers and wanna-be Bookclubbers who have so far been... well, lurking and wannabeing :D, to take the leap and join us NOW; if you are in any way shy, or the prospect of walking in to a room full of people who know each other but are strangers to yourself is just a bit too daunting to contemplate, there is no better time to join than these summer months when the attendance gets so abysmal and we actually have to advertise for some fresh blood! (Hopefully not sounding too werewolfish :pac:...[oh, that reminds me, I have to book a waxing, first thing tomorrow...:cool:]...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi all sorry to hear that the turnout was not too good last week you are right the summer tends to see a drop off. I said I would nominate a book from Agadir so here it is I hope it has not been nominated before. I am finding it hard to get deacent books but think I have found a good source. I have read many books mainly holiday reads thrillers etc., will not be able to sleep with the shocking murders. However they have kept me busy and am greatful for that. I found a lovely little book the other day and like yours geekychick its a light read. The secret life of bees by Sue Monk Kidd. Its a short little book so wont take up too much of your time. Let me know if it was nominated before.

Hope all is well in Galway all good here still enjoying the newness of my new home.

Greetings fellow book-clubbers!

I bought American Psycho last week, so when I read it and if I like it, then I will eventually be part of the book club elite :P

Wow, we actually have the next few books sorted, nice one! :D

Is this correct?

Upcoming nominations:
    24/05: "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac, Robert1782's nom
    07/06: "Murphy" by Samuel Beckett, germanSandra's nom
    21/06: "Julie & Julia" by Julie Powell, geekychick's nom
    05/07: "The Secret Life Of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, bethm's nom

Glad to hear all is well in Agadir, it's so frecking windy in Galway today! No problems like that over there, eh?

I actually will make it this evening for a proper meet, as opposed to a special ultra late appearance.

I haven't a great deal of the book read.

So it goes

Me neither. But what the hey! :p Will be there with feckin' bells on Ted!

Drum roll..... I too will be attending the book club meeting tonight!! I'm very excited! I have not read the book but then what's new?!

If you've seen the films for both Julie and Julia and The Secret Lives of Bees does this mean that you have to read the books?! If I skip those books it means that I'll be able to catch up a little.

The Secret Lives of Bees hasn't been nominated before.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Greetings fellow book-clubbers!

I bought American Psycho last week, so when I read it and if I like it, then I will eventually be part of the book club elite :P

Wow, we actually have the next few books sorted, nice one! :D

Is this correct?

Upcoming nominations:
    24/05: "On The Road" by Jack Kerouac, Robert1782's nom
    07/06: "Murphy" by Samuel Beckett, germanSandra's nom

When you read this weird and wonderful book love to know what you think of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Dont waste time on "On the Road"..its poor.

Maybe I will bring it with me on my holiday for some light reading... :p

I just stumbled across this
    http://galwaybookclub.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2008-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=17

Wow, actually posts and reviews! Oh how times have changed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

Hi guys, I'm not able to make it tonight for my nomination but hope ye enjoyed it. See you for Murphy in 2 weeks :)

Hi folks just saw this on the Town Hall website if anyone else is interested? :Dhttp://www.tht.ie/1246/Blackadder

• Advertisement

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi folks just saw this on the Town Hall website if anyone else is interested? :Dhttp://www.tht.ie/1246/Blackadder
    Yeah I'd be interested in that Caroline. PM to arrange.

I won't be able to attend tonight and I haven't read the book either.
    Shocking bad I know :o

So I thought I would mention on the thread about the Book Club Summer party extravaganza.
    Are people still interested in doing something?

Sure we can things out tonight to see what people think and maybe see when people are free. :)

Hello peeps!

My nomination is Homer and Langley by E.L. Doctorow. Should be easy enough to get, I've seen a few copies in Charlie Byrnes. "So it goes":

15/07: "Homer and Langley" by E.L. Doctorow, carol123's nom

Enjoy! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Kat007

Hi,

I've just moved to Galway and I'm interested in reading and books.
    Could I join ye're book club? Where and when do ye meet?

Le meas,

Katie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hello Katie,

The book club is always open to new members so you are very welcome. We meet in The Cottage Bar, Lower Salthill every second Tuesday night around 8/8:30pm. We usually have use of the little room immediately on the left as you enter through the main bar entrance. I haven't been there myself in ages but I am determined to make it to the next one. See you then. The book list is updated regularly so just keep an eye on this thread.

Kat007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've just moved to Galway and I'm interested in reading and books.
    Could I join ye're book club? Where and when do ye meet?

Le meas,

Katie

Hi Katie

Just to add to Tristan's reply, it's morelike 8.30-9.00 that we're there and we haven't managed to get that room for the last couple of meetings so you might want to have a look around, maybe in the room at the back on the left hand side. The next book is Julie and Julia by Julie Powell, for Tuesday 21st. C ya! :)

To all in the book club, Happy Bloomsday everybody!:D:cool:

• Advertisement

carol123 wrote: »
    To all in the book club, Happy Bloomsday everybody!:D:cool:

I can safely say it's easier understood than Murphy!

Advertisement