Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

hyperbaby wrote: »

What do you mean you didn't read this book?! It was my nomination and it was brilliant! Shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Martty81 wrote: »
    What do you mean you didn't read this book?! It was my nomination and it was brilliant! Shame on you!

I wasn't around for a few weeks last year and it that was nominated during my absence. I'm a disgrace :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hi to all on Blooms Day next nomination Ulysses? :D

Link to our facebook page for any new members wanting to know about upcoming books and meetings.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_123833927673803&ap=1

• Registered Users Posts: 22 deedana

hyperbaby wrote: »

have the film of Philippe Petit walking the wire that book is based on if anyone wants it?? worth a watch if ya haven't seen it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

deedana wrote: »
    have the film of Philippe Petit walking the wire that book is based on if anyone wants it?? worth a watch if ya haven't seen it

Don't have it myself I've watched it and highly recommend it. Whoopsie daisy! :)

Anybody interested in going to see the Ayrton Senna flick?

carol123 wrote: »

Anybody interested in going to see the Ayrton Senna flick?

Me - pick me!! When were ya thinking?

deedana wrote: »

Can I borrow that from you? I'll swap it for the Julie and Julia DVD at the next meeting!!

Me - pick me!! When were ya thinking?

Well how's about tomorrow in the Eye at 7pm or 9.35? I should be able to buy concession tickets at work. Should I PM folk to see how many d'ya think? :)

• Advertisement

Well how's about tomorrow in the Eye at 7pm or 9.35? I should be able to buy concession tickets at work. Should I PM folk to see how many d'ya think? :)

I can't make tomorrow night but sure PM some folk and then the majority will have to rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

Hey everyone

my nomination is "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by John le Carré. that makes the next three meetings

05/07: "The Secret Life Of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, bethm's nom
    19/07: "Homer and Langley" by E.L. Doctorow, carol123's nom
    02/08: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by John le Carré, tompneary's nom

Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

Dia dhuit!

As I read that this is a book about cooking, I thought that my stomach would growling the whole time. At some certain points it was the case, but maggots, brain, bone marrow extraction, made be fell that I should be a vegetarian. Not only the adventure of cook by following a recipe book, above all thing the quest of finding the meaning of life was charming. A book which is enjoyable, easy to read, sometimes nauseating (only because of the illustrative presentation).

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bethm

Hope you enjoyed the book that is if ye read it at all. Not much action on the book club thread for a while, suppose summer is here and all is quiet. See BBQ. is on Sat well hope weather keeps fine and at least rain keeps off. No problem with rain here maybe next year have it in sunny Morocco:D Have a good night and early morning hi to all wish I could make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

Never thought i'd have a combination of cloud cake and spanish tortilla for breakfast! but it was really good

There is a copious amount of food left here, how did we think we'd manage to eat it all?

We may have to have round 2 later to eat it all before it goes off

would like thank everyone for coming and for all the lovely food

tompneary wrote: »
    Never thought i'd have a combination of cloud cake and spanish tortilla for breakfast! but it was really good

There is a copious amount of food left here, how did we think we'd manage to eat it all?

We may have to have round 2 later to eat it all before it goes off

would like thank everyone for coming and for all the lovely food

Thank you to Tom and Orna(Ornaith, Ornagh? I'm sorry, I've no idea how to spell your name properly.:o)

Had a great time. Think we'll have to do something before Martty81 goes away to London town though.

Anyway, here's my gift to everyone as a souvenir from the night. Note the throngs of people, people.

http://youtu.be/oZFZ3JesBcw

Go Barry the cameraman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Anyway, here's my gift to everyone as a souvenir from the night. Note the throngs of people, people.

http://youtu.be/oZFZ3JesBcw

Go Barry the cameraman!

Stick to the day job Amanda.

Thanks a million Tom and Ornaith. Yum yum...cloud cake for breakfast.

bethm wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed the book that is if ye read it at all.

I liked this book very much. It's the right one for the summertime (not too heavy but a good diversion). Now I know a lot of honey and its production.

OHMIGOD, I'm in a state of shock!

I'm so glad I didn't see that vidjeo last night cos I'd have been ranting about the fact she did a U2 song. I mean does Bono know about this?! Did he let her cover the song?!

That's one of the worst things I ever seen and heard. The hippy outfit and she hardly even sang and then shouting out in the middle out of it "how's it going so far"! I'm cringing for her. Dire, absolutely dire!

Hi peeps!

I was wondering if we could maybe pick the next couple of books for the BC so I have time to get them before I go because next week's meeting would be a bit late for me? :)

• Advertisement

Yeah sounds good. If anyone has anything that they'd really like to nominate then just go for it.

I'm drawing a blank at the moment but if i think of anything I'll post it up.

Thought of a book! I'm nominating Room by Emma Donoghue.

According to our book list deedana hasn't nominated in ages so maybe you'd like to nominate something now?

Thought of a book! I'm nominating Room by Emma Donoghue.

According to our book list deedana hasn't nominated in ages so maybe you'd like to nominate something now?
    Can i nominate before i go? Pretty please...

Fine by me hyperbaby. I have Room and I put it in the pile to read when I go so yaaay! Think we could take another two nominations.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Hi everyone,

just to join in the thanks to our hosts on the weekend, it was a great evening; I'm only sorry that we didn't see the A. Brunker vidjeo on the night, cos going by Martty81's reaction to it, we coulda had another hour or so of entertainment out of it at least! :D

Cloud cake: YUM.

bethm and germansandra, you were and are on our minds - wish you were here! ;)

hyperbaby, you will be missed. Have an amazing year! (as I'm sure you will)

carol123, I hope you get to really help where it's needed and have a lovely adventure with it.

Later, folks... :)

geekychick wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

just to join in the thanks to our hosts on the weekend, it was a great evening; I'm only sorry that we didn't see the A. Brunker vidjeo on the night, cos going by Martty81's reaction to it, we coulda had another hour or so of entertainment out of it at least! :D

carol123, I hope you get to really help where it's needed and have a lovely adventure with it.

Thanks for that geekychick. Hope you both also have a lovely time and soak up a little much-needed sunshine. See you when I get back! :cool:

I need your help. I know the word cloud, I know the word cake, but what the hell is the meaning cloud cake? (A dictionary can't help, but I'm sure you can.)

I need your help. I know the word cloud, I know the word cake, but what the hell is the meaning cloud cake? (A dictionary can't help, but I'm sure you can.)

Hi Sandra

Cloud Cake is a type of chocolate cake. It has a very rich dark chocolate base and a thick creamy topping. It's flavoured with orange liqueur and is delicious! :pac:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for that geekychick, I hope it is amazing too :)
    Pity I won't see you again this week but it is more than likely a mental week for both of us. I will make sure your magazine gets back to you.

There is lots of calories in cloud cake!
    http://www.cookstr.com/photos/recipes/93/medium/recipe-93.jpg?1297065264

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Recently finished 'The Last of The Hitlers' by David Gardner.

Very fascinating and interesting read.

Advertisement