Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭germanSandra

carol123 wrote: »
    Hi Sandra

Cloud Cake is a type of chocolate cake. It has a very rich dark chocolate base and a thick creamy topping. It's flavoured with orange liqueur and is delicious! :pac:

Thanks. And from me also: Yum!

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭carol123

hyperbaby wrote: »
    Can i nominate before i go? Pretty please...

Hi hyperbaby!

Do you have a nomination in mind yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Hi!
    I was going to reply to this thread a few minutes ago, but I changed my mind.
    Oh spooky...
    Anywho, I have two completely different nominations in mind but I haven't fully decided yet. By Saturday I will have decided if that is okay.

I wanted to nominate a short story collection for a while and I had several in mind but each one I picked proved to be difficult to get so I asked the girl in Charlie Byrne's and she gave me a few recommendations.
    Hopefully it will be good.
    Three books in August, oooohhh August is a busy month for the book club :D

19/07:
    "Homer and Langley" by E.L. Doctorow, carol123's nom
    02/08: "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" by John le Carré, tompneary's nom
    16/08: "Room" by Emma Donoghue, Martty81's nom
    30/08: "Getting Through" by John McGahern, hyperbaby's nom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

To whom it concerns-

Meeting tonight 8-8 30ish.

The book that will be discussed, amongst other things(hopefully), will be "Homer and Langley" by E. L. Doctorow.

• Advertisement

This novel is very sad. Two brothers (Homer and Langley) had rich parents and lived in a great mansion next by the Central Park. First disaster: Homer lost his sight. Next one: Langley had to go off to war. Next: Their partens died.
    Langley came back (souvenir: lung disease)
    Either way the lost all the staff in their house. Langley turned into a clutterer and the house was in the end a deathtrap with all its trash.
    Homer enjoyed to play his piano, but then after years he also lost his hearing.
    The neighbours went into enemies. Reporters besieged their house, …
    And the very last passage is the saddest I ever read.
    My conclusion: it’s worth to read but not the right novel for rainy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tompneary

i second that, keep away from sharp objects the last few pages. We found it hard to agree as to who's fault it was that they ended up dying of hunger in a cluttered house that was probably worth millions. although the story was sort of analogous to the isolationist theories practiced by some countries in the 20th century.

I have to say i liked the book, but thought that he was rather scant on detail in certain parts. it was quite a short (only 200 large print pages) for a book that covered a lifetime.

I also think that the the allusions to important events of history where too short. I mostly understood which events was spoken to, but more details would be better.

Anyone fancy going to see The Tree of Life tonight or tomorrow night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Martty81

Only seeing this now. Did you go? I can go tomorrow night if that's still an option?

I could go on Wednesday if that's any good?

I watched some wacky French movie at a friend's house instead of going tonight.
    Can you go on Wednesday night Martty?
    I can go on Monday night and i think i can go on Wednesday night.

I watched some wacky French movie at a friend's house instead of going tonight.
    Can you go on Wednesday night Martty?
    I can go on Monday night and i think i can go on Wednesday night.

Yeah I can go on Wednesday too. We'll arrange properly tomorrow night.

Okay awesome!

Page 100 of the book club, oh frecking amazeballs!! :D

Completely off the hook!

I can't make it to the meeting tonight, but I will make it to the film tomorrow.

G'luck!

No bother!
    Don't forget my Berlin guide book!

can't make it tonight unfortunately for my nomination, hope you all enjoyed it. see you all in 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Robert1782

hey guys, cant make it to the meeting tonight either but id be interested in seeing that film tomorrow if yere still goin:)

• Advertisement

So myself and hyperbaby ended up having a cosy meeting of just two tonight. It also happened to be both of our last GBC meetings so that was nice!

For those who are interested in going to the cinema tomorrow we are meeting at 8:45 outside the Eye Cinema. As hyperbaby said "be there or be square".

Also, neither of us had finished reading the book so we have no review. That is all.

8 45 it is.

To kindle or not to kindle, that is the question?

Bump

Meting tonight at 8 30 or thereabouts down in The Cottage. This weeks book is Room by Emma O' Donoghue.

I probably won't be able to make it myself tonight, things may change but there's a 90% chance I won't be there.

Next time for sure.

only two of us made the meeting last nite in a decidedly quieter cottage bar. It seems the two for one deal is a dead duck.

neither of us had a chance to read "Room" so sorry, no review.

seeing as we are running low on nominations so I would like to nominate "The Woman In the Dunes" by Kobo Abe.

So that makes the next two books:
    30th August: "Getting Through" by John McGahern
    13th September: "The Woman In the Dunes" by Kobo Abe

Enjoy and see you all in 2 weeks

Hi everybody!

Just checking that we're definitely meeting this Tuesday? Are there any of us left?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

Yup carol, there are still some left, although really few it seems... My guesstimate for the next meet's attendance is 4. But heck, not like it's never happened before, right? ;)

Can't wait to hear about how the summer went! :)

geekychick wrote: »
    Yup carol, there are still some left, although really few it seems... My guesstimate for the next meet's attendance is 4. But heck, not like it's never happened before, right? ;)

Can't wait to hear about how the summer went! :)

Not to worry. Thanks for that Maja. Will hopefully have photos printed by then. Had such a great time. :)

I'll be in attendance tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Sorry won't make it tonight guys...but I have a proper excuse; working evenings for the next 2 weeks at least :) I have a lot of books to buy and read now :eek:

Advertisement