Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Nathan251 wrote: »
    how did it go?

I just found this thread and it's a pity i wasn't there as I loved that book.

Anyway guys I have some suggestions for the book club format...what we must do at future meetings is not confine ourselves to merely discussing our interpretations of the book itself, but instead we should use the book to steer our conversations towards our own life experiences, philosophy, humour whatever.....do not limit yourself to the content of the book or the book club becomes a very formal rigid affair full of uppity pricks who make it difficult for you to get a word in edgeways...each persons aying "i liked the bit when bla bla bla"....no,no,no.....we should use the book merely as an excuse or pretense for discussing issues at large. Think of the book club more as a social club and we'll be flying, in fact I am hoping that i am attracted to some of the females on show and they they make some kind of effort with regard to their appearance when they show up. Finally I want to say that we should dedicate only half of the allotted time to discuss the book/life/themes the book inspires and the other half to get a few shandys down us and generally unwind and have a laugh. I feel i should be spending more time with intellectuals as my banter is at times too high-brow for my current set of mates and goes over their heads.

What do you think guys? let me know:)

If you haven't been to the actual meeting then how can you make some sort of high-brow arms behind your head statement like the above. How do you know what the meets are actually like?? Or what they discuss?

Maybe your banter/babble doesn't go over your mates heads...maybe there just sick of it and don't listen anymore.

I'm tempted to use rolleyes here.

edit: f*ck it :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Yesterday evening in Bar No. 8 we decided to postpone the BookClub meeting to discuss A Confederacy of Dunces until Tuesday next week. Very few members managed to finish it. I had 20 pages to go myself. It's well worth the read so we said we wouldn't spoil the ending. My book is 428 pages so it's quite a bit to get read. Very funny however.

In realtion to the meetings themselves, I suppose that they are very easy-going and relaxed. We don't stick rigidly to any format in relation to the correct procedure for discussing books. From day 1 the club was intended to be a social outlet whilst at the same time encouraging some productive use of time - reading books.

Everyone's welcome to come along. See what you think...and don't be shy. I'm sure for many of the outspoken members of Boards you will feel perfectly at home in an enviroment where their opinions are actually sought for a change :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

I'm there as you guys seem like an open-minded friendly lot, i suggest however that we change venue-does anybody know a good place in galway that has a beer garden, i wouldn't mind a few pints of cider in the evening sun whilst discussing this or that
    i would also like to suggest that we discuss poems as it seems that a lot of meetings are being postponed because book club members are unable to read fast enough

I'm there as you guys seem like an open-minded friendly lot, i suggest however that we change venue-does anybody know a good place in galway that has a beer garden, i wouldn't mind a few pints of cider in the evening sun whilst discussing this or that
    i would also like to suggest that we discuss poems as it seems that a lot of meetings are being postponed because book club members are unable to read fast enough

You have never even been to a meeting and you are suggesting a new venue and reading poetry? I don't think so! You sound just like Ignatius J. Reilly :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

What a troll. Go away.

• Advertisement

no actually i was making some genuine suggestions but don't worry i'll bite my tongue from now on....whatever:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cdn Kat

I'm sorry everyone for not making it last Tuesday. I had an interview in Dublin that day and was very disappointed to not be there to discuss the book as it was one I really couldn't put down! I'm thrilled the meeting has been moved to this Tuesday so I can hear others' thoughts on the book. See everyone tomorrow! Cheers!

ya but as i said lets not just focus our thoughts on the book alone, lets also mingle and banter outside of book confines....that is of course if opinionated old me is still allowed to attend:(

ya but as i said lets not just focus our thoughts on the book alone, lets also mingle and banter outside of book confines....that is of course if opinionated old me is still allowed to attend:(

Everyone is free to attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭amz5

The women are always all very well turned out at these meetings :D

We often talk about our life as well. I hope that if Nathan turns up he'll have the hair gel in and the clothes smart/casual.

Caitriona asked me to post her book "A thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini. I was away last week, so couldn't attend. I haven't read the book either somewhat because I was away...but I may try to give it a go tomorrow cos I'm on hols and if I do I'll be there.

• Advertisement

hair gel-check
    smart/casual clothes-check
    degree in english lit and masters-check
    tendency to be a pretentious smarmy git-check

oh and another serious suggestion to anyone reading this thread FROM A FOREIGN COUNTRY AND WANTING TO LEARN ENGLISH
    ......i really strongly suggest u come to our book club as when i was living in Madrid it really helped me to learn spanish by joining a book club especially in the first year, when i found something to specifically focus my language skills on i really improved a lot. furthermore the post book club drinking session were also a great language aid so please foreign people-feel free to come along. oh and if we get a few foreign people from different countries perhaps they could nominate lesser-known books from their country. we could have a kind of international month for the book club, however i do realise that this suggestion will lead to charges that i am getting ahead of myself.

i ask you, when did innovative thought become a crime?

Hi All,

Yesterday evening we discussed A Confederacy of Dunces. It was a quiet meeting...but very enjoyable and as we expected, Nathan251 didn't attend. Empty vessels make the most noise :)

We all loved the book. It was very very funny whilst be highly relevant. The topics dealt with in it were briliant and refreshing. There was no death or misery really and on the other hand, there was no real love element to it. So, it was different at least. The stereotypes were excellent also. Unfortunately, Tristan C who nominated it couldn't attend.

We also introduced our new, patented rating system :rolleyes:!

Kate gave the book 9.0/10
    Server gave the book 8.5/10
    I gave it 9.0/10.

Server nominated The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach.

By the way Pope Buckfast, can you update the reading list please?

The next book we will be reading/discussing is Sunshine Sketches of a Small Town by Stephen Leacock, nominated by Kate. This will be followed by The Poor Mouth by Myles Na gCapilin (or is it Flann O'Brien...or is that his alias? Hmmmm). This was nominated by Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sec

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had luck with finding the book 'Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town' which is due to be discussed at next Tuesdays meeting? I checked in a few places in town (Eason's, Dubray & Charlie Byrnes) but couldn't get hold of it and I know a couple of the group are having the same problem. It seems it could take a couple of weeks to be delivered with Amazon :(

How would people feel about moving onto the next book on the list 'The Poor Mouth' by Flann O'Brien? There's a couple of copies in Dubray so it seems a bit easier to source and it would buy us some time in trying to get the other book. Maybe we could discuss Sunshine Sketches at the following meeting??? I hope this isn't too cheeky Kate ;) What do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yeah I don't think I'm going to be able to get it to be honest

I just bought a copy of The Poor Mouth. It's only 130 pages so it should be no problem to get finished in time for the next meeting. I'll send a group text about the change of book.

Chat soon:)

Hi Everyone,

Meeting this eve at 8 in Bar No. 8 to discuss The Poor Mouth.

See ye then
    tristanpeter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

I totally skipped it as I hadn't found the Sunshine Sketches book either (Dubray claimed they'd have to order it from the states). Should've checked the boards earlier.

tristanc wrote: »
    I totally skipped it as I hadn't found the Sunshine Sketches book either (Dubray claimed they'd have to order it from the states). Should've checked the boards earlier.

Maybe try the libraries or second hand book shops. It's a very old book so you never know, you might get lucky. Surely there are a few copies in Galway. I got a copy on Amazon so if I get it finished you can borrow it Tristanc

At last night's bookClub meeting we were discussing some of the books that have come up recently to read and that it's not always easy to get them. Perhaps it might be a good idea for members who have a credit card (and who are willing of course) to buy the books online for other club members, after (s)he has found out how much the total cost incl. p & p will be per book and then get the money off each member before the order is placed. Because the books are nominated well in advance this would allow ample delivery time. The book buying could be rotated between members for different meetings. This would cut down on postage costs also. i suppose though it will only work if members pay up before the order is placed. At each meeting, the order could be taken. What do ye all think :confused:

Tris... what's the upcoming book list?

• Advertisement

The next book is Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock followed by The Bridge Across Forever by something Bach. I think that's the schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Hi
    Wonderbar on starting a book club. Tried to - but my mates collective opinion was t'would end up a beer fest :(
    While I like to read couldnt be arsed sifting through the posts - so please think be ok if I interlope into ur group!
    :rolleyes:

Hi Pseudonym, welcome aboard!

Who picked the bridge across forever?

Yo Hambo, Server picked it. Why?

Although, now that you mention it...we have skipped a book. The next book after Sunshine Sketches should be Caitriona's pick. I think it's called A Thousand Splendid Suns. I suppose we can just read that after The Bridge Across Forever. What do you all think?

By the wat everyone, The Poor Mouth is brilliant! Hilarious and the use of language (even though it's translated from Irish) is excellent. I think it's one of the funniest books I ever read. 10/10 from me at least:)

is sunshine sketches not due for tuesday?

I thought you already did the poor mouth, I'm confused!

I second on having absolutely no idea what I should be reading for Tuesday.

BTW I'm going to the Flat Lake Festival next weekend, book club field trip?

It's Sunshine Sketches for Tuesday coming. Sorry about the confusion.

What's the Flat Lake Festival? Never heard of it. I assume it's music. Where is it being held?

What's the Flat Lake Festival? Never heard of it. I assume it's music. Where is it being held?

There's music, but it's more a literary fest with readings and such - the headliner is Seamus Heaney (who appears to be an Irish poet who's won the Nobel Prize). It's a decent chunk of change, and it's up in county Monaghan. http://www.theflatlakefestival.com/

Hello Everyone,

Just to clarify matters, tomorrow evening's BookClub meeting/discussion is for Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town by Stephen Leacock. The meeting after that is for The Bridge Across Forever by Something Bach.

See you tomorrow evening, as usual in Bar No. 8 @ 8pm :)

• Advertisement

I've totally failed to get the book again. I know, I've been a total book club slacker, apologies.

Advertisement