Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

tristanc wrote: »
    I've totally failed to get the book again. I know, I've been a total book club slacker, apologies.

Too busy removing clamps for people. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Too busy removing clamps for people. :D

Wrong Tristan - I don't think I know any clamp-removing techniques that wouldn't cause more in damages to the car than just paying the fine would have set ya back ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Nathan251

i haven't read the book, sorry:(

but can we go dancing afterwards if we have an even split of male/females?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 hisroyalbadness

I am SO joining this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi,

Michelle, Damien and Sean, your books were delivered today from Amazon. Comes to €9:50 each.

For anyone else looking for it (The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach), I'd say libraries in Galway might have it or else try the bookshops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Cdn Kat

Hello All,
    Sorry I missed out on discussing Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town, I had to go back to Canada. I hope everyone who read it enjoyed it. It's based on my home town...and for obvious reasons the author was not kindly looked upon by locals for years after the book was published. I'm sorry if some found it difficult to get.
    I've really enjoyed being part of the book club. My new job is in Dublin and so I'm moving there in the next few days. I will be back to Galway now and again so I may be seeing you around still. I hope everyone has had a lovely summer. Cheers,
    Kat

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Good luck in the big smoke!

Cdn Kat wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Sorry I missed out on discussing Sunshine Sketches of a Little Town, I had to go back to Canada. I hope everyone who read it enjoyed it. It's based on my home town...and for obvious reasons the author was not kindly looked upon by locals for years after the book was published. I'm sorry if some found it difficult to get.
    I've really enjoyed being part of the book club. My new job is in Dublin and so I'm moving there in the next few days. I will be back to Galway now and again so I may be seeing you around still. I hope everyone has had a lovely summer. Cheers,
    Kat

Congratulations in the new job Kate. That's great news :) Pity you have to leave BookClub though. I really hope that you make it back some time soon. At least you got your book nomination in. I'm really enjoying it. It's very wholesome. You can tell it was written a long time ago!

Keep an eye on this thread anyway if you can. Keep yourself up to date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

...lose one Canadian but gain another, I'd really love to join when I get to Galway (which is unfortunately not until the 6th of September)

Xiney wrote: »
    ...lose one Canadian but gain another, I'd really love to join when I get to Galway (which is unfortunately not until the 6th of September)

More the merrier... welcome aboard

• Advertisement

Hi Everyone,

BookClub meeting this evening at 8, Bar No. 8 to discuss The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach.

See you then :)
    Tristan

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shel1

Hi all

I was asked to chose a book for the time after next. How about Factotum by Charles Bukowski? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damogood

Hi Michelle. That sounds good. Thats the same guy who did 'Barfly'. Well, the screenplay I think. great film!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Shel1

Yes Damo, it's the same man. His most famous book I guess is "Post Office" which I really enjoyed. It is full of the ugly side of life which not everyone would enjoy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lenie

Hi, i would love to join the book club if that would be ok?
    i wont get the book read this week, i would think but if someone could let me know what the book for next week is going to be, and the meeting details, that would be great.
    Really looking forward to it! :)

Hi Lenie, welcome aboard!

What's the book for tomorrow week again?

Edit:
    The meetings are every second tuesday at 8:30pm in Bar No.8, the next one is tomorrow week.

What's the book for tomorrow week again?

I believe it's a Thousand Splendid Suns, from Khaled Hosseini, his follow-up to the Kite Runner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Lenie

Hey guys, thanks for that. must get out and get the book, i read a lot, so it will be good to be able to diversify my choices of book.:)

Hi Everyone,

Sorry about the late post re. last week's BookClub meeting where we discussed The Bridge Across Forever by Richard Bach. Busy busy :)

I think I can safely say that this was, according to the members who read it and myself, the worst book so far that nominated for BookClub. It's really an autobiography of Richard Bach himself. What an absolute ar*ehole! I never thought it would be possible for a book, well at least in the genre of spirituality & self-help, to make me want to puke. The sad thing is that you have to read his book to realise what an arrogant person he is. This guy has a serious "god-complex." How he ever got married to begin with, let alone being married 3 times, I will never understand...and then to tour America giving seminars to the public about how to make marriage work!

So, a new direction that I'm trying to move in with the Bookclub is to get attendees to write a brief sentence about their opinion of the current book and a rating out of 10...and here they are;

Sec: 6/10 (Sec was the only member to finish the book...so maybe it got better in the end :). "Struggle to finish it!"

Pope Buckfast: 0/10. "Worst book ever! Too sh*t to finish!"

TristanPeter: 3/10. Didn't finish due to "not enough time and didn't really want to. Author is an a**hole"

Shel1: 3/10. Didn't finish.

Damo: 3/10. "Got to page 130. Not finished yet also. The author has no personality...shallow. Didn't want to finish it seeing as the guy divorced in 1999. How stupid he looks!"

TristanC: Didn't read it so no rating.

HisRoyalBadness: Didn't read it so no rating.

Sean: 3/10. "Complete bo**ocks particularly because he has had 3 wives!"

Rachel: Didn't read it so no rating.

So, there you have it. Our new rating system :)

The book for next Tuesday is A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hoseini nominated by Caitriona followed by Choke by Chuck Pallahniuk, nominated by Sean. Sorry Shel1, yours if next after Sean's because he was asked to nominate beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Hi

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but havent had much luck getting the books so far.

I got one book from the library the day before the meeting, got another one of the books but wasn't able to meet that Tuesday and am current number 34 or something on the request list for A Thousand Splendid Suns.

Anyways, can you provide a list of the books coming up over the next 6 weeks or something so I can hopefully get requests placed at the library in time? The library seems to take forever in getting books delivered.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Hi,

The book for discussion on 30th September is Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. This will be followed by Factotum by Charles Bukowski. I think this is as far as we have got in relation to nominating books. Generally, we will nominate another one at each meeting.

Hope to see you there on the 30th :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Hi,

The book for discussion on 30th September is Choke by Chuck Palahniuk. This will be followed by Factotum by Charles Bukowski. I think this is as far as we have got in relation to nominating books. Generally, we will nominate another one at each meeting.

Hope to see you there on the 30th :)

Thanks for that. Hope I make it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Hi all
    Think be ok if joined ye tonight?!

Sounds good pseudonym... see you tonight!

I actually read the book this time!

Great nearly finished- do ye discuss a certian criterion; postit pages etc? or is it more of a sit around have a chat ?
    Cant wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Ooh, I've been wanting to join the book club but I haven't been around Galway for most of the summer.

I've actually read this book, so I might venture along tonight if I'm feeling brave!

Just a question: how will I know who you guys are if I do perk up the courage? :P

Hello Everyone,

BookClub this evening in Bar No. 8 @ 8:00 - 8:30pm. I hope the place is open. Last night I was walking by and I noticed that it was closed :confused:

Anyway, see you all later
    Tristan

Weidii wrote: »
    Ooh, I've been wanting to join the book club but I haven't been around Galway for most of the summer.

I've actually read this book, so I might venture along tonight if I'm feeling brave!

Just a question: how will I know who you guys are if I do perk up the courage? :P

We'll be the intellectual looking ones with the books!

• Advertisement

Nice one - but couldn't seem to find everyone on this thread :confused: - chat ye in 2 weeks if not before!
    Looking forward to next book already :)

Advertisement