Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

can only connect to net when my power cable is plugged in

• 10-03-2007 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

HI
    I have this problem with my laptop or is it my wireless thingy?
    Anyway, i can only connect to the internet when I have my laptop power cable plugged in and I don't know why!?

Its making it hard for me to go out to the back garden with a beer and surf the net!

When I do unplug the power cable, i connect to the wireless box fine, but if I start up internet explorer no page will load for me, and its like things go incredibly slow. Until at last they stop working.

Any help is appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

>When I do unplug the power cable, i connect to the wireless box fine
    Are you 100% sure about this? I assume you're seeing a "Wireless Connection" in your system tray?

Only thing I can think of is that the BIOS power management is turning something off. Reboot your machine and just as the machine is starting up again hit F2 (or F11 or whatever the boot screen says for "Setup"). In the BIOS screen there will be a Power Management section - basically manages what gets powered down/runs on lower power when you're on battery. Generally it's stuff like Lan cards, screen brightness, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭JeanClaude

Get an extension cord.....:p

Seriously, i had a similar problem when i first got my laptop, for me it was a power management problem, i went into control panel>>performance and maintenance>>>power options, i adjusted some of the settings(can't remember exactly what i did:confused: ) in the power schemes option. It worked fine after that, whatever i did...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

From http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1222679,00.html
    Many wireless network cards, both stand-alone models and those built into notebook computers, come with a power-saving mode that can be set or disabled through the device's driver. When the network card's power-saving mode is turned on, it will temporarily disable the card during periods of inactivity to reduce the amount of battery drain.

This technology goes by several names, depending on the manufacturer. For instance Intel calls it PSP, short for Power Save Polling.

Unfortunately, many access points don't always deal correctly with wireless devices that implement power saving. This can manifest itself as a slew of symptoms: inexplicably dropped connections (despite a strong signal), v-e-r-y slow transfer speeds for data, and odd behaviors when browsing file shares such as opening a directory and finding nothing in it. I personally have had a file share directory open on a notebook computer and was attempting to copy files off the notebook via wireless, but each time I tried to do it, the copy operation would freeze up in mid-stream. In a situation like this, there are two solutions.

1. Fix #1: Upgrade the firmware of the wireless base station, especially if there's a newer revision of the firmware that addresses problems like this. This isn't always possible or available, though.
    2. Fix #2: Turn off power-saving mode on the network card. This is usually the easiest way to solve the problem, since the amount of power saved by turning on the power-saving mode tends to be minimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

thanks all!

I went into the network connections, right clicked my wireless connection, selected properties, clicked configure, went to advanced and then scrolled down to find power management and clicked it from lowest to highest....and hey presto!

Thanks.

Advertisement