Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

points for speeding???

Options
  • 10-03-2007 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

i was driving down the M8 yestarday doing around 135km/hr. there was a really low sun in my eyes so i didnt see a garda car and guy with speed camera till late. i immediately slowed down but it was probably too late. there was at least 4 or 5 other cars speeding too.
    anyway my question is whats the story, do they just take your number if you were speeding? and send the points in the post? or do you think i got away with it?

thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

you prob got away with it, if it was just a gun they need to pull you in to give you the points and show you the speed afaik. It is only with cameras that you get it in the post..

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭famagusta

oh right, thanks. i wonder why they didn't decide to chase anyone though, maybe they were just waiting for someone doing rediculious speed

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends which of the speeding cars they had the gun pointed at too to get a reading. It might have been one of the other cars and you got lucky.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Plus 135Kph - 10% from speedometer = 121.5Kph. Thats more that likely what you were clocked at, so I doubt anything will happen.

Do gardai/garda cars have a camera in them, or is it only Gatso's that can get you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I think the Guards have mobile camera guns as well. So they don't always need to pull you in.

• Advertisement

irlrobins wrote:
    I think the Guards have mobile camera guns as well. So they don't always need to pull you in.

Ah F#ck!!!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

irlrobins wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only mobile ones are the vans, the need to setup the cameras. You can't just tack a camera on to a radar gun...

daveym wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the only mobile ones are the vans, the need to setup the cameras. You can't just tack a camera on to a radar gun...
    True, it has to pass legislation first! :D:D Plus, bluetac = higher taxes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

antodeco wrote:
    Plus 135Kph - 10% from speedometer = 121.5Kph. Thats more that likely what you were clocked at, so I doubt anything will happen.
    never heard so much rubbish in my life

135kph = 135kph

Its over the limit so if you were clocked by a camera, then the OP was done and will get fined plus points

Lex Luthor wrote:

135kph = 135kph

Its over the limit so if you were clocked by a camera, then the OP was done and will get fined plus points

Most speedometers have a 10% discrepancy at high speeds.
    Also, radar guns have a 10% discrepancy also (hence the calibration tests required every 6 months)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

the garda who had the speed gun prob just used discretion - most do

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lex Luthor wrote:

135kph = 135kph
    Never heard so much rubbish in my life. Have you got a 100% accurate calibrated speedo? No, I didn't think so. And don't bring up the old "but it's digital!" argument, please.

Oh, and its km/h not kph :)

"I'm sorry Garda but my speedo was reading 132km/h so you can't nick me"

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

the gardai have to pull you over there and then if using the gun, the only way you get a letter in the post is if it is a van on top of a bridge or something, otherwise they must persuit, and there are ways and means of getting off the letter in the post if you know how to

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

They usually only pull people who are doing a lot more than the speed limit. I was talking to a guard and he said when doing speed checks in a 80kmh zone for example, they will only pull cars doing more than 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

yeh, they generally only go for the people who really break the limit cause they pose the biggest risk

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭11.3 SECONDS

timmywex wrote:
    yeh, they generally only go for the people who really break the limit cause they pose the biggest risk

I understand your point but you must also be having a laugh.

Spend some time watching the guardians of the peace in action on the N11 / Stilorgan Road around UCD.

Yes, if you are over the limit you are over the limit and there is no argument about it. However, if you look at most of what they stop on the N11 it looks more like an exercise in playing the numbers game and creating the impression that something useful is being done as distinct from nailing the dangerous bastards who really need to be sorted out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

There was one camped out on the N7 yesterday evening too (arm out the window with the speedgun and camped out at the bottom of the hill on one of the widest, better surfaced sections of course!! :rolleyes:), but whilst I wasn't speeding anyway, a car in the oncoming lane warned me anyway with the old flash of the headlights, which I of course did as well for other cars after passing the sneaky fecker.

Nice to see there's still some courtesy out there though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I got stopped for driving slowly last night. :)

I stopped outside a pub on the way home from the cinema, and got a bag of chips from the chipper next door. Ate them; got back into the car, and drove off. Up the street I was looking at a house for sale and was doing about 15mph max. I suspect I also drove at the wrong side of the road for a bit as there were a few craters of potholes there.

A guy in an unmarked forrester came up pretty quickly behind me, and I indicated to the left to let him pass. He pulled up along side me and asked if was OK, and that my driving was erratic. :) I told him I was fine, and I was just ambling home, and offered to be brethalysed.

He said i sounded sober, and drove off a bit disgusted without even getting out of the car.

timmywex wrote:
    and if you believe that $hite, then you're a bigger mug.
    obviously the garda that said that to you is a lazy git, but that philosophy does not apply to all of them.

Go ahead and see if your 10% limit will get you off time & time again. Its an urban myth and sooner or later you will get caught speeding even if you think you are entitled to go 9% faster than the limit.

The OP is having a laugh with the excuse that the only reason they were caught is that the sun was in their eyes and they didn't see the garda car...well tough. It wasn't hindering your vision to allow you to see that you were doing 15km/h over the speed limit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

antodeco wrote:
    Most speedometers have a 10% discrepancy at high speeds.

Its not 10%. All speedos must show your speed a few mph (approx 3mph ususally) more than you are actually doing. I cant remember where i read it, will have a look for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Eh, i just found myself to be wrong too actually!

http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleID=1265&vf=1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

faceman wrote:
    Its not 10%. All speedos must show your speed a few mph (approx 3mph ususally) more than you are actually doing. I cant remember where i read it, will have a look for it.
    The regulations are all about the maximum allowable difference. There's an EU regulation EEC 75/443 that stipulates that ...

a) the indicated speed must never be less than the actual speed

and

b) the difference must be less than or equal to (true speed / 10) + 4 km/h.

So, for a true speed of 120 km/h the difference between indicated and true speed must be less than or equal to 16 km/h, i.e an indicated 136 km/h, or at 50 km/h the maximum allowable difference would be 9 km/h.

However, all manufacturers add in some level of percentage over-reading so as not to fall foul of condition a). On my car, a Ford, I've determined that to be about 5%, but others appear to be higher than that. In any case, a long as it doesn't fall outside the bounds set by condition b) they're OK, and fully legal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

the displayed and actual speed differences are maximums - not definites.
    To suggest that its possible to drive up to a displayed 135km/h and yet still be within the limits is misleading.

As for driving over the limit with the sun in your eyes - well that is just pure stupid! If you cannot see all 'hazards' in front of you then you are driving too fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And tyre pressures and wheels sizes also impact on speedo accuracy.

My current car's speedo says 120km/h when I am doing 110, but is more accurate at lower speeds.

One of my previous cars was out by 5mph at all speeds.

Both with stock wheels and properly inflated tyres.

The only yokes that can have cameras are vans and boxes on poles. Lads on the side of the road don't have cameras... they take off after you and pull you in.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Incorrect JHMEG - there *are* a few 'side of the road' units out there that have cameras! From my source, they tend to be located in the Louth and Laois areas but do move around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

kbannon wrote:
    Incorrect JHMEG - there *are* a few 'side of the road' units out there that have cameras! From my source, they tend to be located in the Louth and Laois areas but do move around.

Fair enough.. I'm talking about personal experiences and the experiences of people I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Nice to see there's still some courtesy out there though! :)

Courtesy my ass, speeders are breaking the law, no if's or but's about it. Would you show to the same courtesy after passing through a drink/drive checkpoint!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Seemingly some guards will rigidly enforce the limit depending on their mood. So if you are over the limit at all, you're running the odds of which guard you get. Used to be if you were a few mph over they'd let you away with it, as everyone even the most law abiding will make a mistake at some point. These days they seem to making a point of applying the law more rigidly.

What I don't get is how the Guards can't get the people who race through estates and such at 2 and 3 times the limit and do so pretty much everywhere so consistently that everyone in the area knows the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

JHMEG wrote:
    The only yokes that can have cameras are vans and boxes on poles. Lads on the side of the road don't have cameras... they take off after you and pull you in.

I was driving down the N3 towards the Blanchardstown roundabout the other day and there were gardaí stationed on a bridge overlooking the road. One of the them was writing stuff on a notepad while the other was flashing traffic with a camera. Not sure if I was one of the ones they flashed; I was doing 55mph in the 50mph section that the time :(

Advertisement