Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the furtherist you have driven in Ireland in a day?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In fairness, tech's Dunmanway to Letterkenny and back would be much worse and you'd be off the beaten track getting over to Dunmanway.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote:
    myself and my brother drove cork to ballymena and back

Savage distance. Two drivers though?
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Templemore to Londonderry and back in a day. 12 hours in a 91 Micra. :(

I can only imagine what kinda roads that was on :eek:

Recently a colleague drove from Wexford, picked me up in Dublin and drove up to near Malin head, and back down to Wexford via Dublin again. Madness. 13 hours and about 800 km?

In one day I've driven for over 1600km (with a co-driver) and over 1000km on my own. The latter was in the US though, easy peasy

• Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bond-007 wrote:
    Londonderry

Derry?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I've driven Carlow to Bantry, Bantry to Strokestown and Strokestown to Carlow in a day, according to aa is 849km, i was shattered after it

Apologies - slightly off topic.

Two work colleagues are from Castletownbere. That's about 6 hours from Dublin. The half way point (time wise) is Mitchelstown!! and they're still in Cork!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Me and my silly ex intended to stay in donegal for the weekend a few years back,we left cork at 7am and arrived in letterkenny at about 1 but at about 7 she pointed out that she was bored and that she wanted to go to her friends daughters christening next day back down in south cork!so we went back down south and arrived back in cork at 1:30 but it was ok because we had the spicegirls on tape,tongues only,i sure dont miss her,viva forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

cantdecide wrote:
    got there and realised the seller was a total spoofer "stunning mint '00" car was shagged- overheating, rattling, banged up etc. etc.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope you walked away! The key word there was 'mint'. That and 'immac' signify a dealer. As does a price ending in 75 e.g. €1675.

In the states, on a motorcycle with a passenger, drove 600 miles first day, 300 miles on second day, then 600 miles home on the third day. That's with a lot of sightseeing along the way. About 800 miles on Interstates, the rest on good roads. Speed didn't seem to be an issue!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭littlejukka

longest i can think of is cahersiveen to monaghan then on to dublin after a meeting. around 600km.

i've done midelton to goleen to dublin a few times, just over 500km but the roads in west cork make it feel an awful lot longer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

ive done Dunmanway to Belfast also , return in a day :)
    can make it in 5.25 hrs with Fermoy motorway leavin at 3am it rush hour traffic in Belfast at 8.15am hehhe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

route Planner (From Dunmanway to Letterkenny)
    Via: Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo
    Time: 6 hr 39 min
    Total Distance (Km): 511.80

so just over 1000km and some real crap roads from Galway to Sligo and up to Letterkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Waterford->Thurles->Dublin ->Thurles->Dublin->Nass

Did that trip after waking up with a killer hangover from the night before and only about 3hrs sleep. Wasn't the most fun day driving I had :(

That is the longest I have done in Ireland. I have done more if you factor in driving from ireland through england or holiday trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

A couple that spring to mind are:

Buncrana to Kilarney. Kilkenny to Buncrana. Portlaoise to Cork to Dublin before back to Portlaoise all within a working day!

Trip to Kilarney was probably worst due to crap roads compared to the others..:p

I drove a tractor from Wexford to Dublin a few years ago. 9 hours of discomfort!

A friend drove a tractor and baler from Dublin to Mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Not following the rules I know but a mate started his driving job at 7am one Friday...came to my gaf at 1 pm and then drove straight to Paris, arriving at 11am Saturday. I was fooked so I can only imagine how wrecked he was. Guts of 1000km interrupted by ferries etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dublin -> Shannon airport -> Blarney -> Dublin

Total Distance (Km): 595.49 (according to AA)

Dublin -> Cork City -> Dublin (to collect a car off Damo605 :) )

Total Distance (Km): 506.48

Thats my 2 longest daily trips in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Altreab wrote:
    Yeah and if you hadnt been sensible and stopped you could have ended up having a nasty accident :( lack of sleep has killed a lot of people on the roads :(

too true!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Sligo to Clonmel (Through Limerick) and back in one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

tech wrote:
    route Planner (From Dunmanway to Letterkenny)
    Via: Cork, Limerick, Galway, Sligo
    Time: 6 hr 39 min
    Total Distance (Km): 511.80

so just over 1000km and some real crap roads from Galway to Sligo and up to Letterkenny

Bad from Tubbercurry to Ballinacarrow and from Hughes Bridge in Sligo to Bunduff bridge.
    Improvements planned but still in the pipeline!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

cork to leixleip via kilkenny and back to cork via kilcullen and kilkenny in one day. In a '92 golf. Seriously tiring.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Longest ive driven was:

Dublin - Galway - Limerick - Cork - Galway - Cork - Dublin - Waterford - Dublin

Apparently its only 870Kms!! Did it 3 times in one week tho!!

On top of that, I had to carry a desktop pc through Galway and Cork City!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Sligo to Tipperary town and back ...to get a dog :o
    Shyte roads all the way except for the Cashel bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

One day last year, Derry-Dublin. via Enniskillen, Sligo, Galway. About 500km.... stopped off at the Galway Races too. Worth that journey :D

I've done some touring in West Cork and Kerry where I got to my destination, dropped the bags in the hotel/B&B and drove on again. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

peasant wrote:
    Sligo to Tipperary town and back ...to get a dog :o
    Shyte roads all the way except for the Cashel bypass.

what were you doing in Cashel, you should have went by Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

Rosslare to Tipperary.....

.....but after driving up from outside Bresancon (I think that's how you spell it) in France, via the Eurostar, in one hit.

A total of over 1500kms.

Never again, it was such a stupid thing to do.

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Hah, I laugh at your piddlingly insignificant distances, I'm in Australia, from our office in Brisbane to our mine office near Cloncurry is over 2000KM, the last 5 hours of it are across durt roads, and it takes in the third longest srtaight in the world, 140 odd KM long, theres an average distance of 350KM between towns out in the middle, it takes 23 hours behind the wheel to get there, that dosent include sleep time, I usualy leave the office after work on day one (about 5.30) and drive till about 1-2 AM when I get reall sleepy (tired enough to sleep in the cab of a Landcruiser ute) then
    I wake at dawn and keep going. generaly arrive sometime in the morning of day 3.

before this I thought drivin from Wexford to Derry was a long haul, Pah, how wrong I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

I drove from Tramore to Letterkenny and back one day. It's about 850km's I think. About 11 hours driving time.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I'm from Donegal living in cork now, but when i was living in limerick .. i still played my club football with a club from Donegal.

Anyways left Limerick at 6am to Head to Malin to play a match. Played the game and then headed back to limerick arrived back at 12am.

I used to travel up and down on the same day quite abit for football...but now i have transferred down :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Hah, I laugh at your piddlingly insignificant distances, I'm in Australia, from our office in Brisbane to our mine office near Cloncurry is over 2000KM, the last 5 hours of it are across durt roads, and it takes in the third longest srtaight in the world, 140 odd KM long, theres an average distance of 350KM between towns out in the middle, it takes 23 hours behind the wheel to get there, that dosent include sleep time, I usualy leave the office after work on day one (about 5.30) and drive till about 1-2 AM when I get reall sleepy (tired enough to sleep in the cab of a Landcruiser ute) then
    I wake at dawn and keep going. generaly arrive sometime in the morning of day 3.

before this I thought drivin from Wexford to Derry was a long haul, Pah, how wrong I was.

Keep on topic :P

• Registered Users Posts: 34,846 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1000miles in 24 hours on the Iron Butt (bike!) rally a few years ago.
    Dublin - Waterford - Cork - Limerick - Sligo - Derry - Belfast - Dublin (about 1000km) and if you hadn't had enough by then, you could go on to do Limerick, Cork and back to Dublin again for the 1000 miles

No way I'd do it again though!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

- I had to drive the ring of Kerry 4 times in one day once for work, looking at a laptop (well the other guy was). Nearly cracked up! Long story.

- I did Cork - Belfast - Dublin in one day, collected a hard top for a e36 convertible from a bemused car sales man in the north then headed back down to Dublin for the 2003 All-Ireland Hurling Final.

- Often done Cork - Dublin - Cork in one day

- Cork - Galway - Dublin with stop overs (2hrs each) in Limerick & Galway

Advertisement