Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Late Late Show or Tubridy Tonight?

• 10-03-2007 8:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭

Which show do you think is better, assuming some people around here watch either of them...
    My vote would be for Tubridy Tonight. Ryan has more charisma, better live music and more interesting guests by and large.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Cancer or AIDS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I'll vote C) None of the above.

I hate Tubridy and Kenny equally but for much differing reasons....if I were to be forced to sit down and watch either show, I'd have to pick the late late, I suppose, but I'd still have my fingers in my ears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ryan Tubridy by a long way. He's a natural.

PS - What did Louis Walsh have stuffed inside his cheeks tonight. His speech was also a bit funny as if he had just come from the dentist. And the makeup lady must have used a trowel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

both shows are terrible but if i were to choose i would watch the Late Late Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah but a natural what...
    PS - What did Louis Walsh have stuffed inside his cheeks tonight. His speech was also a bit funny as if he had just come from the dentist. And the makeup lady must have used a trowel!

Cert to be botox or some of that bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mikosyko

Late Late Show by miles.....TT has a pathetic live band which i cannot stand! Plus Tubridy is an arsehole! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I prefer the Late Late. Tubridy always seems to be a total git to the audience members when he goes to talk to them. He always makes smart-arse comments saying things about their clothes or something. Plus hes too much of a lick-@rse to his guests

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

why does RTE keep replaying the same tubridy tonight episode every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Tubridy has a bit more charisma but his show has deteriorated in recent weeks imo. Very boring tonight, I found.

As for Pat Kenny.... shudder/////

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Can't stand either, TT is a bad combination of the tonight show and late night with conan o brien (done badly)
    but its still better than the late late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Wertz wrote:
    Yeah but a natural what...
    Judging by the dimensions I would say he may be a cotton fibre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tubridy asks terrible questions and IMO is a very very poor interviewer.

Pat Kenny... well he is what he is... a plank, like.

Can't say I'm a big fan of either but I'd go for the Late Late show over Tubridy any old day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭deisemum

While you are waiting to enter the studio members of the production team go through the one for everyone in the audience bit with the person who's picked to answer the questions.

Then when you're in the studio before the Tubridy show starts he rehearses the whole bit with the audience.

I'll say this much for him in the 20 mins before the show starts Tubridy is very funny and interacts with the audience. The band are also much funnier than on the show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Milktrolley

deisemum wrote:
    While you are waiting to enter the studio members of the production team go through the one for everyone in the audience bit with the person who's picked to answer the questions.

I figured something was up - every week they seem to get someone who isn't the slightest bit surprised that they're chosen and never seem to be unprepared for the fact that 550,000 people are watching them.

Anyhoo, TT over The Late Late at the moment. The direction on the Late Late leaves a lot to be desired, there's too many guests whose lives, well, they just aren't interesting. There's also way too many guests that go for the 'X Factor viewer' demographic - given the history and respectabilty of the Late Late, I hate the way they drag on token reality TV show singer that we won't remember in six months instead of maybe giving the slot to a decent up-and-coming Irish band who isn't getting loads of exposure, or anything else really.

However, it's good for the debates sometimes and these have always been a talking point. It's also good at getting regular people with extraordinary stories.

The one where the paedophile and The Full Monty were on represented a new low I thought. And Jimmy Carr was on that night, so that's saying something! The scrolling texts irritate the life out of me, especially the content of some of them - every week without fail, a conservative text from a 'Mary' comes up that annoys me. Is it the same Mary that texts in every week I wonder? [/rant]

TT on the other hand, I rather like. The direction is usually excellent - Niamh White and her team bring out the best presented stuff on RTÉ these days I reckon. The show has an identity, knows what it's going for and the guests are usually game for a bit of banter, thanks in no small part to Tubridy, so it's all relaxed. He can cross the line sometimes with the audience though, I wouldn't mind if he said the stuff he sometimes says to me, but I could see why someone might. Also, why have Louis Walsh on a programme? Why?

The opportunities available when the show broadcast from the Everyman in Cork were fully exploited - and exploited well. Very nicely put together, and there's none of this stuff where they stop the interview just as it's getting good because they're running out of time. Granted, TT doesn't do debates like the Late Late, but I've always believed that whenever an extra ten or 20 minutes could be got out of a programme where 600,000 are watching, it's in RTÉ's best interests to hold onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Steve01 wrote:
    Which show do you think is better, assuming some people around here watch either of them...
    My vote would be for Tubridy Tonight. Ryan has more charisma, better live music and more interesting guests by and large.

Neither, get BBC or ITV, Al Muuray

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

The late late, without a shadow of a doubt. Not that i particuarly like the late late show but if they have good guests on it's usually alright and I know no one will agree with this but I think Pat Kennys gotten alot better than he was when he started hosting it.

As for the tubridy show, it is beyond cringe inducing. The format is like a really really really badly done cheapo version of every crap american late night chat show ever created. Tubridy himself is just a complete whimp and is very very annoying. The band play the worst music I have ever heard in my life badly and the guests despite who they are are obviously promised to only be asked questions they have preaproved before hand. Truly dreadfully awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Definitely the Late Late. Remember the time the guy came on and called Kenny names? Priceless.

Tubridy Tonight is a rip-off of US shows like the Tonight Show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Those shows are far better.

Tubridy is an absolute twat and embodies everything wrong with this country. A talentless plank who is where he is due to his connections.

I'd like to see a show where Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy fight it out in a boxing ring. My money's on Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,295 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Definitely the Late Late. Remember the time the guy came on and called Kenny names? Priceless.

Tubridy Tonight is a rip-off of US shows like the Tonight Show and Late Night with Conan O'Brien. Those shows are far better.

Tubridy is an absolute twat and embodies everything wrong with this country. A talentless plank who is where he is due to his connections.

I'd like to see a show where Pat Kenny and Ryan Tubridy fight it out in a boxing ring. My money's on Pat.
    Couldnt have put it better myself.
    All these new tv presenters seem to be all neck and ego and no bloody talent.
    Pat would knock Tubridy out in round 1 as Tubridy is about 9 stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Which one is shorter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

I prefer Turbridy to Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭rivers

how can anyone think turbridy has charisma? he's a smarmy, cheesy, weener with all the charisma of a dying fish....
    as for kenny, i dont particularly like him but he's a far sight better than turbridy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

It's not fashionable to like either Kenny or Tubridy, but I think they're both really good presenters - in very different ways. Tubridy has a better rapport with his guests and the audience, while Pat is a master at the serious stuff. I'd say Tubridy is a dead cert to get the Late Late gig in a couple of years, and it'll be interesting to see how he handles the token "all my children died" sob-stories.

Advertisement