Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi track rod end

Options
  • 10-03-2007 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

is this also called a tie rod end or is that a different part entirely?

any idea how hard it is to fit one to a '98 A6. is this one of those genuine only type parts or can i get a spurious one?

anyone know the do's and do-not-do's of track rod end replacement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hey I might have one of those. Got it by accident from GSF but never sent it back (oops). Yes a track rod and a tie rod are the same thing (Track rod UK name).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Mike,
    i'll have it if it fits mine. do you know if there's a difference between lhs and rhs??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mike65 wrote:
    Hey I might have one of those. Got it by accident from GSF but never sent it back (oops). Yes a track rod and a tie rod are the same thing (Track rod UK name).

Mike.

In the trade they refer to them as TREs. Saves confusion!

I just checked eurocarparts catalogue and they seem to be the same for both sides.

I'll have a look for it tomorrow.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

double check that again -iirc, the tie rod is the actual rod at end of steering rack on to which the track rod END fits. It's the track rod end that is most commonly replaced.

Having said that, my tie rod failed the NCT...............at 43k miles on my TT. Quality how are ya.......:rolleyes:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I'll post a pic of it in the morning.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I can confirm they are the same both sides. And known to fail early on VAG cars of that era. Or at least, the rubber bellows fails and the ball joint then suffers.

Next, the upper wishbones' outer balljoints will deteriorate. And then the CV joints. I think the lower inners follow.

Never buying one again.....

there's lots of weak points in there alright but they were never meant to deal with the ruts and potholes we take for granted. the ride and handling in these things is great and it feels bloody righteous to sit behind an audi steering wheel again even if i may be looking for trouble.

I need the very end with the balljoint attached. anyone know if i'd be endangering my life replacing this myself? any top tips?

Hi I just did a visual check and its the wrong type, I have the one below

Trackrodend.jpg

you need one of these

443419811D.jpg

Mike

Mike,
    that's grand, thanks for thinking of me anyway.:) i'll probably get one from GSF or otto maybe.

any advice on changing it myself? i'm on a very strict budget at the moment.

• Advertisement

The part is about 20 euro. The problem with fitting it yourself is the need to align the wheel afterwards. Its best left a indy mechaic. Its only an hour max.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

you could also get it from Otto: www.otto.ie

IIRC its about 20-25 euro. Its an easy part to fit, undo the pinch nut, tap the joint out and unscrew it from the track rod. Just be sure to count the threads are visible on the shaft on the old one, fit the new one at the same amount of threads, this will get you in ballpark for tracking (assuming new part is same lengths of course).

I would still suggest having it tracked after this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

tight budget or not, its your steering.
    You dont get it right and you end up in the ditch

Advertisement