Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completely indoor cats

Options
  • 10-03-2007 8:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a little kitty for apartment in September, mostly for the company, but the mouse killing is a nice bonus too! Basically, as I'm in a first floor apartment, the cat would never get to go outside. Is this okay? It doesn't damage their health or anything, does it? Or does it actually keep them healthier, because they're less likely to catch anything?

Also, do they still need to be neutered if they won't be in contact with other cats? Or is it unnecessary? I'm sure I have a bunch more questions, but I'm in a rush now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭SMK

Keeping a cat completely indoors is fine - I have two indoor cats. They are much safer - won't get run over by a car, won't get into fights with other cats or dogs, etc. I think having two cats is better cos they will be company for each other when you're not there. And you should get them neutered - their behaviour can change when they are sexually mature. They will probably pee around the apartment to mark their territory, females will go into heat. One thing to think about with indoor cats is windows and patio doors if you have a balcony! I have a cat fence around my garden so the cats can't get out but before that I had to be careful about having a window open which was annoying especially in the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I would suggest a male kitten. Maybe two as apparently they like company

As far as I know the best stage to get him neutered is after about 6 months.

Once neutered they won't pee around the place and won't damage the furniture if you provide scratching posts.

just think a bit ahead, though, as with the best of intentions ,ones plans may change and you may then have to make a decision for your two friends that may cause a lot of angst and heartache.

Think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

They are safer indoors for a few reasons; other cats, vehicles, getting lost, ticks or other parasites or angry neighbours. They will be fine indoors.

We have 2 females indoors although we bring them for walks (on the leash if you can imagine that. :)) in the back yard. Have your cat spayed or neutered, preferably before he or she is six months old as mentioned.

Make sure to get them a scratching post and/or if you are feeling brave enough you can trim their claws (ask your vet). It is natural for them to do this and stretch out to mark their territory from the glands in the bottom of their paws.

Hmm .. very bad manners to look for advice and not acknowledge it..

Confirms what I thought......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Perhaps the person (moderator) can not come online for one reason or another

• Advertisement

Indeed... perhaps...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If you do get one get it neutured asap, particularly with males if they get into the habit of spraying they will continure to do so when neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Do you post advice purely to seek affirmation from others?

You're in the wrong forum I think.

I'm sure the OP is just offline for a while.

Faith - my friend has (two) cats in a high rise apartment and they seem happy enough.
    Hmm .. very bad manners to look for advice and not acknowledge it..

Confirms what I thought......

stovelid wrote:
    Do you post advice purely to seek affirmation from others?

You're in the wrong forum I think.

I'm sure the OP is just offline for a while.

Faith - my friend has (two) cats in a high rise apartment and they seem happy enough.

No! I post advice when I think people genuinely need advice.

Quite frankly I was thinking more of Ruu who gave quite a detailed reply.

No matter what angle you are coming from,upwards,sideways,underneath,obtusely,looking for advice,getting it and not acknowledging it is,in my book anyway, bad manners.

Thats about it,no matter how you dress it up,it still comes out with the same answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

No! I post advice when I think people genuinely need advice.

Quite frankly I was thinking more of Ruu who gave quite a detailed reply.

No matter what angle you are coming from,upwards,sideways,underneath,obtusely,looking for advice,getting it and not acknowledging it is,in my book anyway, bad manners.

Thats about it,no matter how you dress it up,it still comes out with the same answer.

It's only been a few days. Relax.

I'm going to go against everyone here, kind of. My cat loves going outdoors. She seems to be able to manage without getting killed or contracting Ebola. I guess that's not answering the OP's question, though, is it? I dunno, I like to see animals outside (and inside). Must be good for them. Same as kids, innit? I'm sure a cat that spends its life indoors, though, would never miss the outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I think it depends on the cats. Maybe what they are brought up with? My cats like living between outside and inside..They would never stay indoors all the time but my friend's cats do seem happy enough indoors.

rediguana wrote:
    It's only been a few days. Relax.

I'm going to go against everyone here, kind of. My cat loves going outdoors. She seems to be able to manage without getting killed or contracting Ebola. I guess that's not answering the OP's question, though, is it? I dunno, I like to see animals outside (and inside). Must be good for them. Same as kids, innit? I'm sure a cat that spends its life indoors, though, would never miss the outdoors.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

stovelid wrote:
    I think it depends on the cats. Maybe what they are brought up with? My cats like living between outside and inside..They would never stay indoors all the time but my friend's cats do seem happy enough indoors.

I agree it's all depends on what they are accustomed to.....Would'nt be good to put a cat out that was never out before:eek: :eek: He/she would probably be terrified....

Advertisement