Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gap filling foam .....

Options
  • 10-03-2007 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭

Have never used the Aerosol type gap filling foam so here is my question ....

Do you have to use the complete aerosol or can you part use it and save any remaining material for a future job? .... does the nozzle and tube block after use or can they be cleared like a regular paint aerosol nozzle ? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Try n do as much as possible in one go , if you have to leave it just clear it out like spray cans etc. If you do it too often the pressure will drop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

In theory you can clean the nozzle and use it again. In fact no matter how well you clean the nozzle and pipe it rarely works a second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

It's part use....the aerosol tip is more like what you'd see on a can of hair mouse or the UHT dairy cream on the brands i've used.
    When the foam sets you just pull out the bit clogging the nozzle and continue to use.

Don't make the mistake of over filling the hole when you use this stuff....a little goes a long way. When it expands and sets cut away the overfill with a sharp blade and fill with plaster fillers, sand and cement or whatever the finish is, to hide the yellow foam

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Never been able to use the tin again after the first time.

ALWAYS put rubber gloves on this stuff is awful to get off yer fingers !

If you get it on your clothes just let it dry and pick off.

The tin is designed to be sprayed upside down. Not like a normal spray.

Let the foam expand to the correct depth and then if you spray water on the foam it will stop it from expanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

it's really only the tube that gets blocked ,try to loosen the tube when you've finished without taking it completely off.
    When you pick it up again ,you should be able to take off the tube and clean it with clothes hanger or something.

I've thrown out more of that stuff than I've used ,it's very handy but not really reusable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

many thanks for the info ..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

I've used the stuff 3 times. Last time I had to get some in a hurry and grabbed an overpriced can of "No More Big Gaps" (by the crowd that make "No More Nails" - Unibond is it??). Advantage of it was the detailed leaflet in the cap!! It suggested using acetone or nail varnish remover for cleaning & putting a wet match in the nozzle so as soon as I was finished filling the hole, I left the pipe soaking in nail varnish remover and was easily enough able to push gunk out using a clothes hanger a little while after. Haven't gotten to using the rest of the can so can't report on success or otherwise but I did manage to clean it easily.

Advertisement