Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post-election feedback...

Options
  • 10-03-2007 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,

Andy here (the dickh€@d from the elections posters).

Sorry about not being online during the elections, we were banned from using the internet to promote ourselves - Don't get me started!

Anyway... the elections are over now. How does this sound for next year?
    1. Podcasts

Something like http://www.xplore.tv/
      ... Media and journalist students... this one's for you.

2. Blogs

Something like http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/sublog/entry/welcome_to_the
      ... Got something to say... write a blog.

3. Interractive 'modular' website

Something like http://www.netvibes.com/
      ... You're homepage for your union.

4. Google apps for students
      ...@ditsu.ie email addresses for all powered by gmail (google), with access to calendars displaying everything going on in DIT (Not just ditsu).

Something like... what Trinity have just beaten us to. Oh well, second college in Europe to do it isn't bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

all sounds fantastic. glad to see someone worthwhile actually setting something in motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

If all this happens I'll be impressed. I haven't been impressed by the SU since I joined DIT, so it'll be a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

[*]Google apps for students
    ...@ditsu.ie email addresses for all powered by gmail (google), with access to calendars displaying everything going on in DIT (Not just ditsu).

Something like... what Trinity have just beaten us to. Oh well, second college in Europe to do it isn't bad.

tbh i've enough email addresses as it is, and i wouldnt signup for an @ditsu.ie one, get dit to sort out a decent webmail client though would be nice, squirrelmail sucks. there is no point in ditsu trying to replace something which dit already provides, just get dit to sort out their own system.

improved wireless internet access (in kst anyway) and provisioning for students (especially final year) to use laptops in labs would be sweet too, i wont be around next year (pending exam results of course) but these are the things which piss me off the most right now

oh and maybe force all lecturers to put their notes/lab work etc.. online in the same place? i know webct is hardly perfect, but im sick of having to look in 10 different locations for lecturers notes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

kdouglas wrote:
    tbh i've enough email addresses as it is, and i wouldnt signup for an @ditsu.ie one, get dit to sort out a decent webmail client though would be nice, squirrelmail sucks. there is no point in ditsu trying to replace something which dit already provides, just get dit to sort out their own system.

improved wireless internet access (in kst anyway) and provisioning for students (especially final year) to use laptops in labs would be sweet too, i wont be around next year (pending exam results of course) but these are the things which piss me off the most right now

oh and maybe force all lecturers to put their notes/lab work etc.. online in the same place? i know webct is hardly perfect, but im sick of having to look in 10 different locations for lecturers notes
    nail >> hit >> on head tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

...get dit to sort out a decent webmail client... there is no point in ditsu trying to replace something which dit already provides
    That's definatly a possibility. DITSU staff and officer email accounts are moving to gmail (google apps) soon (hopefully), and offering students email addresses would be a free bonus. Maybe some kind of joint effort between DIT and DITSU would be better.
    improved wireless internet access (in kst anyway) and provisioning for students (especially final year) to use laptops in labs would be sweet too

This is an issue on every site. I'm in Aungier Street, and it works pretty well most of the time here, except in some areas. I've tried to use my laptop on other sites, and found a network, but with no internet behind it, so I think it's a problem with the connection behind the network. I can't understand that myself. The network is there, and there is an internet connection (it works in the labs), so it should work. It falls under Sean's brief, and I'd say he's just the man to 'bang the table' on this one.
    ...force all lecturers to put their notes/lab work etc.. online in the same place?
    I had a go at that myself last year when I sat on (INSERT NAME OF DIT'S HARD TO REMEMBER IT LEARNING COMMITTEE HERE). DIT are adamant that their lecturers have a right to experiment with new systems. My own course uses webexone instead of WEBCT for some strange reason, so I know what you mean, but I won't promise a result here, because I've already tried. Interestingly, DIT pay for a WEBCT account for every student even it it isn't used, which seems strange to me, but we'll keep trying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Andrewjdoyle

...get dit to sort out a decent webmail client... there is no point in ditsu trying to replace something which dit already provides
    That's definatly a possibility. DITSU staff and officer email accounts are moving to gmail (google apps) soon (hopefully), and offering students email addresses would be a free bonus. Maybe some kind of joint effort between DIT and DITSU would be better.
    improved wireless internet access (in kst anyway) and provisioning for students (especially final year) to use laptops in labs would be sweet too

This is an issue on every site. I'm in Aungier Street, and it works pretty well most of the time here, except in some areas. I've tried to use my laptop on other sites, and found a network, but with no internet behind it, so I think it's a problem with the connection behind the network. I can't understand that myself. The network is there, and there is an internet connection (it works in the labs), so it should work. It falls under Sean's brief, and I'd say he's just the man to 'bang the table' on this one.
    ...force all lecturers to put their notes/lab work etc.. online in the same place?
    I had a go at that myself last year when I sat on (INSERT NAME OF DIT'S HARD TO REMEMBER IT LEARNING COMMITTEE HERE). DIT are adamant that their lecturers have a right to experiment with new systems. My own course uses webexone instead of WEBCT for some strange reason, so I know what you mean, but I won't promise a result here, because I've already tried. Interestingly, DIT pay for a WEBCT account for every student even it it isn't used, which seems strange to me, but we'll keep trying.

Advertisement