Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

anyone imported a car from Japan recently?

Options
  • 11-03-2007 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hey all..

A friend of a friend of mine has imported a car from Japan. When he went to collect he was told by someone at the port he would have to pay a fee ~150 to release the car .. and he would also have to fill out paperwork which cost another 100 or so to process.. Doesnt this sound like a scam?

Has anyone brought a car in from Japan recently ( I did in 1999) and if so what charges did you have to pay (besides shipping , VRT)

Cheers]
    Jayo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,281 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Surely the country of origin is not important here - more how the car was shipped - i.e. in a container or not. The shipping charge probably only covers up to the point the car is landed in the destination port. There may be an element of storage charges involved? Not sure about the paperwork charge though - unless it is customs clearance related.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Sounds normal for paperwork, that's the customs processing documents and trust me, you won't be able to fill those forms out on your own.

I vaguely remember some type of release fee on top of the shipping charges, so that sounds about right, too. I'd have to dig out the docs to be sure though.

Don't leave it sitting on the docks too long either, as they charge you a daily rate that wouldn't qualify as cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Cheers Blastman.. Would you be able to dig out those documents and tell me how much you paid pls ;-) ??

Cheers
    Jayo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭bo-bo

you are charged a handling fee of about e150 alrite, not sure what the paperwork fee you mention is about

who is the clearance agent - personally ive always found mcc to be good, they take care of everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Just get a clearing agent to do all th paper work.

Whats the best site to import a car from japan.Is it IBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Any contact info for clearing agents? I hope to bring in two cars from Japan soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Any contact info for clearing agents? I hope to bring in two cars from Japan soon...

Garry Kenny/ Paul Fitzpatrick
    Motor Customs Clearance,
    14-18 Stores Street,
    Dublin 1
    01-8366625

its a couple of years ago, so i don't know if the above persons/number are up-to-date

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Garry Kenny/ Paul Fitzpatrick
    Motor Customs Clearance,
    14-18 Stores Street,
    Dublin 1
    01-8366625

its a couple of years ago, so i don't know if the above persons/number are up-to-date

Thanks mate!

Advertisement