Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the saddest song you've ever heard

Options
  • 11-03-2007 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I don't want lists of sad songs, I want you to make a decision and give a reason for it.

I got the idea when I was just hanging out with some good friends and Pink Floyd's 'Wish you were here' came on. I said "Class" and then one of them says he loves the song so much because he thinks it's probably the saddest song he's ever heard. Now whilst it's a beautiful song, I can withstand a blast of it without becoming morose.

My choice would be Radiohead's 'No Surprises' because I think it has such a depth to it that you're still able to relate to. The music isn't obviously gloomy because the instrumental isn't (their most..) blatantly sad song, it's no How to disappear completely like.. But then the lyrics.. it's about someone so terrified of life that they pray for a life of numbness. They'll take a life of complete mediocrity and gladly step back to live as another statistic, the life that when we're young we absolutely refuse to accept the idea of living.. When you decide that the obstacles in your life are actually too difficult to overcome. All this masked in a tune pretending to be catchy and nice.

It's weird cos it's far from my favourite song on OK Computer (Lucky ftw) and you don't really realise how sad it is until you really think about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

John Lennon - Imagine
    Certainly the most moving/powerful song I've heard... gives me the chills. :eek:

Of Radioheads, I'd probably say Exit music or Nice dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Exit Music is sad but it seems fairly superficial, whilst I don't think [nice dream] is a particularly sad song in itself. PS. I was thinking of making this thread an OK Computer appreciation thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

"Where do you go to my lovely" by Peter Starsted (spelling??).

I always think it's sad but I can't give an indepth analysis of why. Probably something to do with the "back streets of Naples " and "two children begging in rags".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I feel sad to admit it but i only cried listening to one song..old shep by Elvis

When i was a lad and old shep was a dog.....................:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Kold wrote:
    I was thinking of making this thread an OK Computer appreciation thread..
    Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

has to be 'perfect day' by lou reed. so sad...agree also that radioheads stuff is quite sad also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Kold wrote:
    whilst I don't think [nice dream] is a particularly sad song in itself.
    Maybe it's just my interpretation.
    Which is one of the things I really like about Radiohead (apart from them actually sounding amazing)... the songs are vague and open enough to hear from different angles... even re-listening to the same songs at different times... I find my interpretation changes based on my mood.
    Gives it a lot of replay value.
    I always found 'nice dream' really positive and chilled out until I listened to it from a more cynical angle.
    Same with FakePlasticTrees actually... in a good mood; the song just sounds silly and lighthearted, but in a more melancholy mood; it takes on a really hauntingly sad tone.

A f*ck it, maybe I should just become an Emo and get it over with. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Well Radiohead are actually my favourite topic of conversation so some kind of serious Radiohead thread would be pretty cool. Whilst I recognise OK Computer is probably the best album ever, my faves will still gravitate towards Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Sad Song or songs that make you sad? :)

Trust - The Cure, beautiful and sad melody.
    To Wish Impossible Things - The Cure, a common thought and well performed.
    Mother - Tori Amos, great song, very emotive and passionate.
    Cooling - Tori Amos, the end of the relationship, one my favourite Tori Amos songs.

These would be some my favourite sad songs, love them, but there are so many more these just came to me as I heard them today. Also love the Peter Starstedt - check this wiki entry for the song - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_Do_You_Go_To_(My_Lovely)
    and most but not all of Radioheads OK Computer. I've kinda unusal tastes really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭romperstomper

love sick - bob dylan

although i agree with a lot of the stuff mentioned above, I challenge anyone to listen to this and hear the older voice of dylan giving his wiser but ultimately more hopeless take on love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

The Blobby song ,A sad song for sad people :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Razorlight "America"... it makes me weep anytime I hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I feel sad to admit it but i only cried listening to one song..old shep by Elvis

When i was a lad and old shep was a dog.....................:(

Ya beat me to it !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Gary Jules' version of Mad World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Spiritualized - Broken Heart.

Chokes me up every time I listen to it.

Blood Embrace by Bonnie 'prince' Billy is pretty harrowing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Rigsby wrote:
    I feel sad to admit it but i only cried listening to one song..old shep by Elvis.
    Ya beat me to it !! :D
    If you're that vintage, you must have cried to the Everly's "Ebony Eyes" or "Tell Laura I love her"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

you are my sunshine, i used to love it til i actually listened to the words

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

hmm alot of Bonnie prince billys stuff . 'I See A Darkness' is an extremely moving song, he sounds like he could burst into tears at any moment singing it.
    'Wires' by Athlete is really quite moving too, i read somewhere( maybe on these boards) he wrote about his daughter after she had to be taken to hospital. :(
    'The Suffering Song' by Willard Grant Conspiracy - speaks for itself really,amazing song too.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭wild_eyed

elliott smith's pitseleh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭icklekinkykat

saddest song has to be the sun goes down- Thin Lizzy ..cant listen to it without crying for a good hour damn you Phil Lynott

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Tail-lights Fade - Buffalo Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

JamesM wrote:
    If you're that vintage, you must have cried to the Everly's..."Tell Laura I love her"

That'd bring the house down, Laura's mom could sing it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭fuse

James Taylor - Fire & Rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Tom Petty - Learning to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Tom Waits- Grapefruit Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭stipey

Far too many contenders to give this the consideration it deserves and still expect to be actually do anything worth paying me for. Like most people I go through phases and what I'm listening to heavily influences the first song that comes to mind..

At the moment though, with the weekend that's in it, I have nothing but Irish artists in my playlist so I'm going to say...

A Lady of a Certain Age by The Divine Comedy

with an very honourable mentions for

"Still in Love with You" by Thin Lizzy (esp. the live version). I was a teenager of the 90's but while most of my classmates were into Nirvana and Pearl Jam, I was on a diet of Thin Lizzy and the Doors. I wasn't one for slower songs at the time and generally skipped this one on the CD player and then one day it caught me completely unawares, sucked me in and I noticed the passion, pain and heartbreak screaming at me through the guital solo. The ultimate break up song.

and

"He Ain't Heavy" by The Hollies. When I was 19, I lost my best friend to cancer. The played this at the funeral and it was still in my mind as I was helping to carry his coffin from the church. I was still fairly lean at the time and wouldn't have been the strongest so it was a bit of a struggle but there was no way I was going to let him down (figuratively and literally). I still well up every time I hear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I think "the Streets of London" (can't remember who sang it) really captured the plight of down and out Irish emigrants in our not too distant past.

Also think "The very thing" by Stars is good depressing one.

Advertisement