Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the saddest song you've ever heard

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,887 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Black - Pearl Jam (especially the live acoustic version from MTV Unplugged)

I know some day you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a star
    In somebody elses sky
    But why?
    Why?
    Whhyyyy can't it be
    Can't it beeeee miiiiiiinnnneeee....

We.... We belong.... We belong together.... together!!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

phil lynotts old town always gets me.
    It's like he knew he was at the end.
    brilliant song. Very sad.
    good post kold

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Colourblind by counting crows always brings a tear to my eye. It's so beautiful.

Hometown Glory by Adele because it was played in that episode of skins, and makes me get pretty emotional. It's also a beautiful song anyone. I love the piano in it.

Nicest Thing by Kate Nash. It's just so perfect at describing being in love with someone who doesnt love you...it's so simple and sweet, and it has a deeper thing to it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

If anyone's ever read and enjoyed John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, the song "Goodbye Sky Harbour" by Jimmy Eat World (that band whom I seem to be referencing in every second post on these boards) is quite tragic.

I'd like to pick a song from Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, but it's not really an album that accomodates cherry picking... Oh Comely, I suppose, coud work.
    For those who are unaware, the album was inspired by the story of Anne Frank and is exceedingly beautiful in an unconventional kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

cautioner wrote: »
    If anyone's ever read and enjoyed John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany, the song "Goodbye Sky Harbour" by Jimmy Eat World (that band whom I seem to be referencing in every second post on these boards) is quite tragic.

I'd like to pick a song from Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, but it's not really an album that accomodates cherry picking... Oh Comely, I suppose, coud work.
    For those who are unaware, the album was inspired by the story of Anne Frank and is exceedingly beautiful in an unconventional kind of way.

Haven't listened to the album you're talking about, but what I've bolded there sounds very much like Bon Iver's album, which deserves an honorable mention in this thread imo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭larrykinney

Grr :mad: I just don't get that NMH album, people on message boards always banging on about it, didn't like it at all.

Sad songs, let's see...

'Here' by Pavement:
    'I was dressed for success but success it never comes'

'Bewitched' by The Wedding Present:
    'There's a thousand things I wish I'd said and done but the moments gone'

'Black Eye' by Uncle Tupelo; 'Here comes a regular' by The Replacements; 'Cody' by Mogwai; 'Galbraith Street' by Ron Sexsmith...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

crap i remember finding an old record of my mums and it had tell laura i love her on it. Used to listen to it over and over.

Mine would have to be my immortal by evanesence, Hurt by Johnny cash and The second you sleep by saybia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Black - Pearl Jam (especially the live acoustic version from MTV Unplugged)

I know some day you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a star
    In somebody elses sky
    But why?
    Why?
    Whhyyyy can't it be
    Can't it beeeee miiiiiiinnnneeee....

We.... We belong.... We belong together.... together!!

Vedder just pours his heart and soul into that song.
    One of my favourite songs of all time.
    It's just pure emotion in musical form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

lean on me.
    Tis well up there in the sad songs. Friend of mine died when he was 15. He had cancer and knew he was on his way out so he planned every last bit of his own funeral and got them to play "lean on me" at it. Bloody hell it was hard to listen to that day and ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 B.E.S.T.

Luke Kelly-Scorn not his simplicity.(youtube)

Wrote by Phil Coulter about his own autistic son. It troubled Luke Kelly that much he was only ever filmed singing it I think twice. Others have recorded it, but no-one did it like Kelly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

B.E.S.T. wrote: »
    Luke Kelly-Scorn not his simplicity.(youtube)

Wrote by Phil Coulter about his own autistic son. It troubled Luke Kelly that much he was only ever filmed singing it I think twice. Others have recorded it, but no-one did it like Kelly.
    I know a chap that was there when it was recorded. Said it was something he will never forget .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 stokesy

Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

Anachie Gordon by Mary Black. I think its a cover. Its an old scottish song.. but Mary Black's is the only version I've heard. It definitely paints a picture, very beautiful and powerful song. Also In Every Sunflower by Bell X1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 jenipher_b

eric clapton - tears in heaven, definatly the saddest song ive heard! gets me every time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,332 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"My Love Has Gone" by Josh Rouse.

"And I sleep with the t.v. on,
    Its the only sign my loves gone"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

jenipher_b wrote: »
    eric clapton - tears in heaven, definatly the saddest song ive heard! gets me every time :(

a very differend kind of pain but agree - it's one of top saddest songs ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

The Train by Frank Sinatra from the little know and hugely underrated album Watertown.

But it doesn't work in isolation - you have to listen to the entire album to get it.

It's heartbreaking even to a cynical old gob****e like me - and only Sinatra could convey the emotion like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Flyer28 wrote: »
    ... even to a cynical old gob****e like me...

Boards censors naughty words?
    I never knew that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭DARKIZE

Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, because the man had voice that could raise hairs on the back of your neck, and it reminds me of someone I lost.

Same song by Leona Lewis for a completely different reason.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 thielfer

DARKIZE wrote: »
    Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley, because the man had voice that could raise hairs on the back of your neck, and it reminds me of someone I lost.

and Rufus Wainwright version from Shrek is also worth listening :|
    I've found a lot of sadness and anger also in fresh Corey Taylor ballad from latest Slipknot release - All hope is gone, it's called "Snuff"...very good piece of melancholy and pain...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

streamline by from autumn to ashes can often make me cry, not quite sure why coz it's got quite a happy message...

also, dont speak by no doubt coz it reminds me of a particularly horrible break-up

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dancing_d

Cool thread btw!
    Jeez there's about ninety songs in my head but the best have to be
    1. orchard rd - leo sayer (reminds me of my family)
    2. one for the road - sinatra (my dads song)
    3. hide and seek - imogen heap (weird song but it takes you to a different place altogether)
    4. I grieve - peter gabriel (you will be in bits if you have ever lost anybody)
    5. the main theme from braveheart or from last of the mohicans :(

It's really crazy what songs can do to you :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

Wonderland - Big Country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

All I Know - Five for fighting

lump throat every time x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Dryad

The Whiskey Didn't Kill the Pain by Mary Coughlan
    Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits

Tales of love lost and star crossed love.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Page 3 and no-one's mentioned the suicide song, Gloomy Sunday, sung by Billie Holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Waitin' for a superman-The Flaming Lips.

Fcuking beautiful, sad song.

'Is it getting heavy?'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

NIN - All That Could Have Been.

Hands down the most depressing song ever written. Especially with its dark atmosphere and the lonesome lyrics...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Arthur foxworth

Stings version of Angel Eyes, if you listen to it you'll get it, most new songs that are considered sad, imo, are in large written by pretentious musicans who think sad songs are cool, and lack any real depth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Stings version of Angel Eyes, if you listen to it you'll get it, most new songs that are considered sad, imo, are in large written by pretentious musicans who think sad songs are cool, and lack any real depth

Dude seriously, Sting is the most pretentious man in the history of music...

Advertisement