Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixed Gear?

Options
  • 11-03-2007 2:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I have a 20-30 year old bike, tis a racer. I was wondering about converting it to a fixed or singlespeed. Any recommendations/advice? Also, where would I buy parts if I wanted to do this myself? (preferably offline...) Thanks to any who reply.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/singlespeed.html would be the only real insight I have on fixed-gear bikes, but it seems a good place to start. As for parts, I'm guessing any local bike shop would do the job. New rear hub, chain and front sprockets I suppose would be the required minimum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

does the rear wheel drop in vertically (distance not adjustable - not good for fixed wheel) or can it slide back and forth which should be better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

You can get everything you need here:

http://www.hubjub.co.uk

Here's another useful Sheldon Brown article:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/deakins/how-to-fixed-conversion.html

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

right, (rubs hands) my favourite subject, as should be hinted by my boards nickname :-)

All the above links are good, sheldon brown's especially. Also check out www.fixedgeargallery.com a site dedicated to fixed gears and which the majority of posts are machines like yours, a 20-30 year old racers with horizontal dropouts converted to fixed gear. I'd be surprised if it doesn't provide you with some inspiration. There are some links to articles like Sheldon Brown's.

A fixed gear bike is a great project and cheap to do. I've done two myself. At the very least i would recommend getting a track rear hub and lace it to a new rear wheel. Keep the front wheel as it is. The crankset is a harder one to figure out but if you want to keep the costs down, its perfectly ok to use the original one. I would recommend 3/32 chains rather than the track 1/8 chains, simply because it will be easier to find parts and works ok if the chainline isn't quite right. You can run with just one front brake, which i think looks neater and helps give the bike that simple, pure look that you get with track bikes.

Cycleways or cyclelogical would have suitable hubs for you to use if you're not prepared to go online, but i would seriously recommend hubjub.co.uk. Great quality stuff, owner Will always gives good advice. Or failing that, www.on-one.co.uk

PM me if you'd like any help or you have any further questions and I'll do my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 terrytoenail

Hi, I'm moving from Dublin shortly and looking to sell a mint condition Fuji fixed gear bike (56 cm), flip/flop hub, front brake, shimano one sided clipless pedals (Size 10 mountain bike shoes thrown also!). Willing to sell for €425. E-mail if interested Terrytoenail@gmail.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement