Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Tax - Questions

Options
  • 11-03-2007 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks.

My log book and insurance cert both arrived in the post there on Friday morning and I've to tax my car.

Can I tax for the first time online or do I have to go up to Ballymun or Chancery Street?

I had been told that the first time you tax the car (not a new car, it's a '97 but came with no tax) you have to do it in person but you can renew online. If I can tax for the first time it would mean not having to take a morning off work which would be a lot handier and I won't be driving it between paying insurance and the tax disc arriving.

I was looking at www.motortax.ie and they mention in the FAQ:
    3Q. Where do I get a PIN?
    3A. In the case of vehicles eligible for online renewal, the PIN number is printed on the right hand side of the renewal/reminder notice form RF100B. In the case of the first taxing of a new or imported vehicle, the PIN is the last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number as printed on your RF100 form. You should have received your RF100 form either from your Motor Dealer or Revenue. Please retain the RF100B or RF100 form carefully. Entering your vehicle registration number and PIN will give you access to the Motor Tax Online service for your vehicle.

Now presumably the "eligible for online renewal" part means this part:
    1Q. What types of vehicle can be taxed on this site?
    1A. The following tax classes are available for online processing:

* Private Cars

OR does it mean a car that's being renewed as opposed to first time taxing?

Also, I don't have my licence at the moment. It was sent in to Axa for my insurance and then sent back to me by registered post. It's currently sitting in the local sorting office as I was in work when it was to be delivered.

If I do have to do it in person do I have to bring my licence along as it'd be a pain in the arse to get up to Whitehall to get the licence, back to Chancery Street and then off in to work if I can renew online...

Any advice is appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If its not new and you have all the certs and stuff from revenue then email motortax.ie and give them the reg, name, address etc. I did that recently and got a response the next day giving me a pin number so i could do it online!

Nice and handy!! The fact it was not taxed before might be different but worth a shot. Do you know when it was last taxed? You will have to pay back tax unless you can prove it was off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you are going to go to an office, go to Ballymun. Much quicker in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Saruman wrote:
    If its not new and you have all the certs and stuff from revenue then email motortax.ie and give them the reg, name, address etc. I did that recently and got a response the next day giving me a pin number so i could do it online!

Nice and handy!! The fact it was not taxed before might be different but worth a shot. Do you know when it was last taxed? You will have to pay back tax unless you can prove it was off the road.
    I don't know when it was last taxed so does that mean that I'd end up paying extra because the guy before me never paid it???

How does that work? I thought the tax was paid so that the owner of the car could use/pay for the use of public roads?

I dunno, if they're going to sting me for whatever someone else didn't pay then would it be worth going up to the Garda station, telling them the story, showing them the log book which shows that I only bought it on the 1st March and getting them to stamp the form?

I know I'll have to pay tax for all of March which I'm grand with but if I'm stung for tax that someone else didn't pay I'll be an unhappy bunny...

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

You wont be stung. The RF101 form is THE tax renewal form for every situation, when there are circumstances such as yours or for when someone has lost the renewal notice they were sent in the post. It has boxes where you fill out details such as, when the vehicles last tax expired (if you know), previous owner period (end of Feb '07), non-use by you period, tax now required period....

You can download this form from any local authority website or you can get it at the local copshop, but it must be stamped by the gardai, and you will have to present it at the motor tax office yourself, I dont think you'll be renewing online this time. I've done this a million times and never had to prove non-use, you are declaring it by signing the form.

JMSE wrote:
    You wont be stung. The RF101 form is THE tax renewal form for every situation, when there are circumstances such as yours or for when someone has lost the renewal notice they were sent in the post. It has boxes where you fill out details such as, when the vehicles last tax expired (if you know), previous owner period (end of Feb '07), non-use by you period, tax now required period....

You can download this form from any local authority website or you can get it at the local copshop, but it must be stamped by the gardai, and you will have to present it at the motor tax office yourself, I dont think you'll be renewing online this time. I've done this a million times and never had to prove non-use, you are declaring it by signing the form.
    Ah fair play mate. I may just do the early shift in work tomorrow and buzz off around 2 to head up, collect my licence and pop into the Garda station next door (may aswell get both done at once) and then pop up to Ballymun.

Cheer for the replies folks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

Steve, did a quick check and its the RF100A form, download it here...

http://www.countycarlow.ie/services/motorvehicles/forms/Motor_tax_Renewal.pdf

JMSE wrote:
    Steve, did a quick check and its the RF100A form, download it here...

http://www.countycarlow.ie/services/motorvehicles/forms/Motor_tax_Renewal.pdf
    Ah good man! Cheers for that :)

Advertisement