Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea vs Spurs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

game over and what a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

A result for the Man U fans, a replay :D

Jaysus tough luck on Spuds, should have won it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

we'll take em in the replay. :0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I hate that cliché - Magic of the FA Cup - my arse. BBC go on about it whenever some ****ty non-league team play a higher division side and talk about romance, etc. yet when England stuff Andorra etc. they question why little teams are allowed to play competitive football

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Nxt monday, WHL...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

What a match! Fúcking cracker!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Deadly match! Fair play to Spurs, they played really well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Spurs really looked hopeless at the end of that match, Zakora's free summed up their half. If their passing wasn't so woeful they could have had a number of one on ones in that half, Defoe, and malbranque were in space and looking for the ball over the top almost all the time. Fair play to Chelsea for bringing it back to level, but Spurs should have done better. you don't get second chances with this Chelsea team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

gandalf wrote:
    BTW since Mido has come on he has been absolutely sh!te, giving the ball away.

He looks like he's spent the last few months camped in KFC, the fat [insert expletive here]...

Substitutions (and the ref) made the difference I felt, Jol bringing Mido on for Berbs took away a lot of our threat up top, and the decision to go 3 at the back cost us the third goal I felt. We should have had a peno, and Robben should have got a card for that dive.

Now how the hell do I get two days off work so I can make the replay? ;)

• Advertisement

He looks like he's spent the last few months camped in KFC, the fat [insert expletive here]...

lol, yeah he looked more tired than Berbatov when he came on. Jol shouldn't have subbed Berby, should never take your best players off against a team like Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Very disappointing but a very good effort from Spurs. Thought Defoe was woeful bar his effort at the end, really poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Aybody know if King will be back for the replay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shocking

Mike.

Aybody know if King will be back for the replay?

Rumours he'd be on the bench for today, but since heard he's another few weeks away from full fitness.

Andrew 83 wrote:
    Thought Defoe was woeful bar his effort at the end, really poor.

:eek:

Thought he had quite a good game TBH, got himself in some great positions first half but was let down by the service (Berb's just too much on his cross, and Lennon's crossing was awful all game). His work for the first goal took 3 Chelsea players out of the game.

He's a finisher, so his natural inclination is to shoot rather than pass, had that shot crept under the bar he'd be lauded.

• Advertisement

chelsea will have terry back. but spurs will have keane, chimbonda and jenas back.

should be a good game. whens the draw for the next round? if the winner of this match plays man utd, i'll be reduced to hoping we win the uefa cup to get back into europe!

said it all along, mido just isnt at the races any more. i dont know where he lost it, but he just seems to lose the ball constantly, doesnt seem to give 100% and just cant seem to lay of the ball and move.

chelsea 3 times in a month is going to be hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

whens the draw for the next round?

Half past one tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Spurs really looked hopeless at the end of that match, Zakora's free summed up their half. If their passing wasn't so woeful they could have had a number of one on ones in that half, Defoe, and malbranque were in space and looking for the ball over the top almost all the time. Fair play to Chelsea for bringing it back to level, but Spurs should have done better. you don't get second chances with this Chelsea team...

Finished up at our game in Portugal at 11.30 on thursday night so not surprising. Plus we have 5 of our first choice players out so not really surprising.

Mido was the problem for us. He did fvck all and gave the ball away everytime he got it.

lol, yeah he looked more tired than Berbatov when he came on. Jol shouldn't have subbed Berby, should never take your best players off against a team like Chelsea.

Again very easy to say but if berbs keeps playing it is likely his legs will fall of. He is the most important player for us and he needs some sort of break. He must be absolutely knackered.

Babybing wrote:
    Again very easy to say but if berbs keeps playing it is likely his legs will fall of. He is the most important player for us and he needs some sort of break. He must be absolutely knackered.

Berbs off wasn't the problem, Mido on was.

If Berbs was bo**oxed, then I'd have had Malbranque on. Think he'd have held the ball up much more, and allowed Lennon free reign from defensive duties. Not ideal, but Mido coming on gave us absolutely nothing in terms of ball retention or goal threat.

I'll go so far as to say Mido's appearance today was a disgrace, he's really let himself go.

• Advertisement

it may turn out to be his last game for us. he has only been used when the other 3 cant play up front.

man city can have him, at the moment, thts the level he's playing at imho.

however, i am disappointed that we didnt win, and i honestly think that we have probably lost the chance to beat them now, but you never know at WHL. if we play like we did today, we have great chance, if makalele is back, it will be really difficult for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Or Terry...although Spurs ddi beat Chelski at White Hart Lane earlier on in the season...they can't handle Lennon and if they get in amongst them like they did today they could defnitely pull it off...Chelski were far from cnvincing, a crappy Lampard goal, another crappy Lampard goal and just poor defending really by Gardner and Dawson for the third...

Babybing wrote:

keeping Berbatov on though would have gotten them a better chance of scoring another goal, he looked far more likely to expose the back 3 of Chelsea before he went off than when Mido came on. another goal would have eliminated the need for a replay, which would have been one less game for the whole team to play.

all Spurs needed to win that game was one little ball over the top for Defoe or Lennon/Malbranque to run onto, and for the whole game berbatov looked the only player with vision enough to play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Regardless of Berbatov, if they had made more of their chances in the second half, and with a bit of luck for Defoe, they would have been home and dry...they still could have won it at the death!

Berbs off wasn't the problem, Mido on was.

If Berbs was bo**oxed, then I'd have had Malbranque on. Think he'd have held the ball up much more, and allowed Lennon free reign from defensive duties. Not ideal, but Mido coming on gave us absolutely nothing in terms of ball retention or goal threat.

I'll go so far as to say Mido's appearance today was a disgrace, he's really let himself go.

But did you seriously think that when Mido was coming on? If Jol had put Steed on for Berbatov and we created nothing he would be absolutely slated for it. It was definately the right move by Jol imo. Nobody could have known Mido would play so badly.

Also just coming out on SSN now that Berb's had a groin injury.:(

Babybing wrote:
    But did you seriously think that when Mido was coming on?

Yes.

We needed to keep harrying them, they had two recognised defenders on the pitch and Mourinho made 2/3 tactical switches as well. Pace was the key, and though not as fast as Lennon/Defoe, Berbs has the sharpness of thinking to find or create space for himself, and feed the ball to other players.

Mido is just too slow, and is very poor at ball retention.

Going 4-4-1-1 with plenty of ball through the middle for Lennon and Defoe to feed off was our best hope given the injury to Berbs. Steed was the man to come on for his work rate, rather than Hudd who lacks pace and needs others around him to do his leg work. Great passer of the ball though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Fantastic match. I'm looking forward to the replay.

I thought Mido looked a little overweight when he came on. A bit more than a little actually, and he was a bit slow as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Shocking stuff from Chelsea.Essien,while a superb player showed he's no CB today.However,for the replay,Chelsea will have Makelele back,Terry back,Boularouz back,Essien back in midfield and Mikel will have finished his suspension.No way will their defence be anything like it was today,I think Chelsea will win comfortably at WHL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Hehe are you a Chelsea fan Anam? Have you forgotten that Spurs already beat Chelsea at home this season in the Premiership? With a few extra players returning from injury, I can't see them winning comfortably, if a win is on the cards at all. It'll be close and depends on who is less tired as Spurs have a UEFA game this week, followed by a Premiership game on Saturday, then this replay on Monday. I don't think Chelsea have a game this week, but they have one on Saturday as well, and with a bigger squad I think it'll make a difference.

I think it'll be close and I can well imagine penalties being on the cards, but as a Spurs fan I would dearly love to beat them!!

SuprSi wrote:
    I don't think Chelsea have a game this week

Play a must-win game at Citeh on Wednesday in the PL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ah my apologies - in that case fatigue is definitely going to be a factor for both teams.

Jol interview on SSN said that Mourinho and himself would both prefer the replay took place on Tuesday or Wednesday.

International managers would say different...;)

SuprSi wrote:
    Hehe are you a Chelsea fan Anam? Have you forgotten that Spurs already beat Chelsea at home this season in the Premiership? With a few extra players returning from injury, I can't see them winning comfortably, if a win is on the cards at all. It'll be close and depends on who is less tired as Spurs have a UEFA game this week, followed by a Premiership game on Saturday, then this replay on Monday. I don't think Chelsea have a game this week, but they have one on Saturday as well, and with a bigger squad I think it'll make a difference.

I think it'll be close and I can well imagine penalties being on the cards, but as a Spurs fan I would dearly love to beat them!!
    Yeah I am.And no I havent forgotten!,how could I? :) Drogbas perfect goal magically ruled out for no apparent reason,but whatever.My reason for thinking Chelsea will beat Spurs is that with Terry back in the side,not only is this a massive boost at the back,it allows Essien to play in midfield.I cant see spurs having nearly as many chances with Makelele and Terry back in the side.Of course anything could happen but I would be confident of a Chelsea victory.Chelseas match on Saturday is at home to Sheffield United,not exactly a tough tie to have before the replay.

By the way,did you hear Jol's comments about Robben?

""He's a great player. I'm from the same country so I know him probably better than you. He's probably the most talented player in England. His style is that he wants to beat people so if you get him off balance, it looks a dive but I don't think he dives."

Have to say it looked a dive to me,though generally i thought he played very well.

Anam wrote:
    Yeah I am.And no I havent forgotten!,how could I? :) Drogbas perfect goal magically ruled out for no apparent reason,but whatever.My reason for thinking Chelsea will beat Spurs is that with Terry back in the side,not only is this a massive boost at the back,it allows Essien to play in midfield.I cant see spurs having nearly as many chances with Makelele and Terry back in the side.Of course anything could happen but I would be confident of a Chelsea victory.Chelseas match on Saturday is at home to Sheffield United,not exactly a tough tie to have before the replay.

By the way,did you hear Jol's comments about Robben?

""He's a great player. I'm from the same country so I know him probably better than you. He's probably the most talented player in England. His style is that he wants to beat people so if you get him off balance, it looks a dive but I don't think he dives."

Have to say it looked a dive to me,though generally i thought he played very well.

C'mon man it was a dive plain and simple, no question about it. When I saw it in real time I thought it was a peno on the TV. So from the dugout it was impossible to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Anam wrote:
    Drogbas perfect goal magically ruled out for no apparent reason.

How can a goal be perfect when the whistle has already been blown and the goalkeeper wasn't interested in it?

Kold wrote:
    How can a goal be perfect when the whistle has already been blown and the goalkeeper wasn't interested in it?
    The fact of the matter is that the whistle should not have been blown,there was no foul.

But it was never in any way a goal.

Kold wrote:
    But it was never in any way a goal.
    Fair enough if you want to be pedantic.Had Poll not blown the whistle a second before Drogba hit the ball,it would have almost certainly been a goal.

It was about a foot away from Robbo who didn't move for it.

• Advertisement

Anam wrote:
    Fair enough if you want to be pedantic.Had Poll not blown the whistle a second before Drogba hit the ball,it would have almost certainly been a goal.

Seconds and Inches are what the game is about. If Defoes shot had of been an inch lower today it was in off the cross-bar and it's bye-bye Chelsea. But it wasnt, simple as that.

Advertisement