Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Degree grades

• 11-03-2007 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Is a 2.1 hard to get? i guess it takes alot of work

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It depends on a lot of things really. There's the obvious ones like luck on the day, and how much work you've put in, how you've got on in continuous assessments and the like.

I don't see how this is a PhD issue per se, but are you planning/thinking about doing one? Not having a first (or in some cases a 2.1) is not a barrier at all to doing postgrad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

Yes i am thinking about doing one,thought id need a 2.1 min to progress...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

Timmy_d wrote:
    Yes i am thinking about doing one,thought id need a 2.1 min to progress...

A 2.1 is usually the standard requirement for a masters, but it might depend on the course...
    I know that with humanities postgraduate courses at least, a 2.1 would be standard, but sometimes there is a little flexibility. For example if you wanted to do something that wasn't too popular so there were some free places, you could get in with a 2.2. Similarly if you were able to convince the course co ordinator of your passionate interest in said subject, that might work too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Yeah, I think in UCC at least a lot of Masters requirements are like that, and if you don't meet the academic grade or background you have to pass an interview with the project coordinator. You should be able to find all the information on the websites. It's never too early to talk to the professors either, it'll help get you motivated.

Hrm, I know of a few friends here in Trinity who attempted to go into a PhD when they had a II.2 and were told no originally. From their experience, it looks as if you need to push extra hard if you don't get a II.1 or higher.

Anecdotal, of course. It's always handy if you know a potential supervisor well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Myth wrote:
    Anecdotal, of course. It's always handy if you know a potential supervisor well.

This helps a LOT if you dont have a 2.1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

If you are doing science and want to do a research masters but only get a 2.2 then many lab supervisors will consider allowing you to do a one-year Masters Qualifier in the lab. Basically it's like a probation period. If you have shown aptitude at the end and have decent results they might keep you on.

In a lot of cases you have no funding in a Masters qualifier year and the supevisor aplies on your behalf the next year.

That said, it's not a gaurantee, each lab supervisor is different.

I am half way through my degree course,i started it in sep 2005 (first time running) and i just have one or two questions which i wouldnt mind peoples opinions on...

1: Do ye think lecturers are more lenient as regards marking exam papers so as to get a good overall pass rate on a new course, being the nature of I.T degrees these days?

2: It feels like "aggh shur get them through they will get there degree and then possibly feck all after that, like so they are covering there own positions as lecturers.

Has anyone else ever given thought to these situations when studying or is it just because it is a new course...

I know this post does not entirely belong here but any opinions appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭Lou.m

You can do a post grad diploma to work your way up to a masters from any grade once you have a b.a .

Or at least you can for some subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Timmy_d wrote:
    Is a 2.1 hard to get? i guess it takes alot of work

I got a 1:1 & tbh, I've no idea how!!

I was by no means a bum, I travelled from home in the degree year, so wasn't out drinking every night or anything (but who really is during the final year!)

I certainly wasn't swatting away at home either. I remember being so depressed because I knew I should be swatting, yet I wasn't, so I was feeling quilty.

Crammed like hell for exams & did fine in them. Always did reasonably well in C.A.
    Did pretty poorly in my dissertation.

BUT, got the 1:1, so I defo don't think a 2:1 is hard to get with any sort of effort at all.

Did you do a diploma before moving onto your degree, & if so, how'd you do in that? I'd use that as a pretty good guage.

• Advertisement

Did you do a diploma before moving onto your degree, & if so, how'd you do in that? I'd use that as a pretty good guage.[/QUOTE]

Hey boozybabe no im doing an honours degree, straight four years a 1:1 would be nice :)

U prob have it naturally eh,just always thought it would require 24/7 studying in last year,guess it depends what course u are doing too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Myth wrote:
    From their experience, it looks as if you need to push extra hard if you don't get a II.1 or higher.

and what does this push consist of? I have been on to the course director twice, I plan on submitting a letter with my app, which is not requested, and an email explaining my interest and availability for an interview and I have two references from lectureres from the CS dept.

anything else you could suggest donal?

Call_me_al wrote:
    and what does this push consist of? I have been on to the course director twice, I plan on submitting a letter with my app, which is not requested, and an email explaining my interest and availability for an interview and I have two references from lectureres from the CS dept.

anything else you could suggest donal?

Nothing from me, Ross :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

you have to consider also that not all degrees are the same in terms of difficulty and what the lecturers require

Advertisement