Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Not at all happy with Vista.

• 11-03-2007 2:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭

I made a decision to purchase an my first copy of Vista Home Premium> Ive had nothing but hassle particularly on line, I cannot get into basic programmes like Hotmail, Ebay, and many more without dead links. I even have trouble getting on to the Microsoft Site. I have fully registered myself. Ive heard other reports about it with regards to Gaming. Has anyone else the same hassle? Can I hand copy this back to Microsoft and request a copy of XP in exchange?
    (Sorry i think this should be in the Windows forum!!!)
    Frank.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I'm presuming you didn't buy it from Microsoft directly but bought it from a shop. You could chance your arm bringing it back to the shop, saying that it won't work properly for you and asking for a refund, but I seriously doubt you can hand it back to Microsoft to exchange it for XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

What kind of problems have you had offline? Do you think the online problems could be to do with your internet connection?

I had the beta versions before it fully came out and I had problems with nero and thats about it...

EDIT: Yes I think once you register vista your xp license is invalid

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Any idea when Secure Client will be available for Windows Vista? Real pain in the ass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Vista has its own built in VPN client, have you tried using that?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if it's a home editition I don't think you can use the license for XP
    if it's abusiness edition the license allows you to install XP - activation is another thing though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Stephen wrote:
    Vista has its own built in VPN client, have you tried using that?

No I haven't. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Yea ive read articles about it being not as good for gaming as xp.. drop in fps and stuff... even though they could have brought out drivers to get rid of this problem!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,792 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Bradidup wrote:
    Ive had nothing but hassle particularly on line, I cannot get into basic programmes like Hotmail, Ebay, and many more without dead links. I even have trouble getting on to the Microsoft Site.

It's very unlikely that online trouble is anything to do with Vista, it's almost certainly a problem with your internet connection, either at your end or your ISP's end. The only possibility that Vista might be the cause would be if the driver for your network adapter is incompatible, but you would have for more serious problems than just a few sites not being available.

With regards to gaming, I haven't heard any reports myself, but again it's more likely that the problems could be traced back to driver incompatibility, this time with the graphics card

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

28064212 wrote:
    It's very unlikely that online trouble is anything to do with Vista, it's almost certainly a problem with your internet connection, either at your end or your ISP's end. The only possibility that Vista might be the cause would be if the driver for your network adapter is incompatible, but you would have for more serious problems than just a few sites not being available.

With regards to gaming, I haven't heard any reports myself, but again it's more likely that the problems could be traced back to driver incompatibility, this time with the graphics card

Ill try downloading all the correct drivers, I never had probs with any internet connection using xp pro on the same laptop.
    i was talking to a guy from where i got it who said its useless fr gaming, he said it will take 6 months to a year for microsoft to iron out the bugs. I remember not touching xp for two years after it came out, should have done same!!!

Thanks lads.

Frank

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Bradidup wrote:
    he said it will take 6 months to a year for microsoft to iron out the bugs.

Microsoft don't need to do anything, It's nVidia and ATi that need to get their ass in gear. From what I've heard the latest drivers improve things a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Peteee wrote:
    Microsoft don't need to do anything, It's nVidia and ATi that need to get their ass in gear. From what I've heard the latest drivers improve things a lot.

Well im using a Compaq/Hp nx laptop its less than 2 years old and looking up the Compaq site dont see any hardware driver updates other than for XP. I havent put vista on my desktop yet but that wont be for a good while!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The gaming issue with Nvidia cards seems to be fairly sorted now with the latest release at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Bradidup wrote:
    i was talking to a guy from where i got it who said its useless fr gaming,
    He was wrong. I get as good performance from Vista with my x1950 as I did in XP. There may be a frame rate loss that 3D Mark or one of those bench marking programs would tell me about, but in real terms all games* play the same. I have quite a fast PC in fairness, so it's possible an older machine may experience problems.

* Half Life 2: Episode 1 and F.E.A.R. for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Lodgepole wrote:
    He was wrong. I get as good performance from Vista with my x1950 as I did in XP. There may be a frame rate loss that 3D Mark or one of those bench marking programs would tell me about, but in real terms all games* play the same. I have quite a fast PC in fairness, so it's possible an older machine may experience problems.

* Half Life 2: Episode 1 and F.E.A.R. for example.

Most games did suffer a performance hit, but it was particularly with Nvidia cards so you wouldn't be in that category anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I had terrible performance with the previous nvidia Vista drivers, but the current ones are almost as fast as their XP cousins for me at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Here is my test results from Fear ,
    Resolution is 1280 x 1024
    Everything set to maximum
    All effects etc set to maximum or on .

FPS
    Minimum 46
    Average 93
    Maximum 230

FPS Distribution
    0% below 25
    0% between 25 -40
    100% above 40 FPS

Im running Vista home premium
    7800GTX 256MB graphics with latest Nvidia drivers
    AMD 3800 X 2 processor
    2GB ram

So not bad at all I would think , plays very smooth I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To be honest, people have said the same when win95/98/98se/me/2000 and XP all came out.

Simple fact is that new OS's are always going to suffer from comparitevly poor support to their forerunner for the first 12 months or so, just the way it goes.

This time next year there will probably be games that wont run on XP and require Vista and when Vista is replaced in about 5 years people will complain that their system is slower in new OS and very little works in it..

If it was any other way nobody would buy new pcs and you would all still be playing Pacman on your 5000 euro pcs :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Over all Vista looks nice, but MAC still looked just a nice 3-4 years back. Why is it that Apple can continue to bring out OS's that look and function in a way the end user wants and MS never live upto the hype.
    In business if I was launching a product that was already on the market I would try and take there key features and utilise them in a non-copy right manner of course.
    I know once all the patches are available Visat will run smoother but its like buying a car with headlights that only work during the day, pointless, a 6.5 litre engine that will only travel at 5-mph, its just doesnt make sence. I just dont understand why we wait all this time for somthing 'New and Improved' only to be faced with disapointment again.
    I am in the process of uninstalling Vista and going back to XP, I will re-install again once more updates are available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Over all Vista looks nice, but MAC still looked just a nice 3-4 years back. Why is it that Apple can continue to bring out OS's that look and function in a way the end user wants and MS never live upto the hype.

Mac OS X was slow, unstable and buggy when it was released too (More so then Vista, and Macs only have to cater for hardware that they themselves make)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

In business if I was launching a product that was already on the market I would try and take there key features and utilise them in a non-copy right manner of course.
    I know once all the patches are available Visat will run smoother but its like buying a car with headlights that only work during the day, pointless, a 6.5 litre engine that will only travel at 5-mph, its just doesnt make sence. I just dont understand why we wait all this time for somthing 'New and Improved' only to be faced with disapointment again.
    I am in the process of uninstalling Vista and going back to XP, I will re-install again once more updates are available.

Apple has a tiny user base like what 3% they can afford to try things out that Micorsoft cannot because of it's market share & the backwards compatibility factor. Apple puts half baked features into it's OS (Quartz 2 Extreme, it's H.264 implementation) & copies a few ideas here & there from others (fast user switching, system restore), charges for what should be free service packs but they have unmatched marketing to hide all those less than stellar aspects from the average joe.

When Apple made the switch from OS9 to OSX it's user base was up in arms moaning and groaning about it and it took Apple a few years to sort some of the issues out. By comparison some of the equivalent features in Vista work fairly well much more so than OSX and OSX Leopard will be playing catch up to Vista in some areas (like full GPU acceleration of the UI).

Is Vista perfect not by a long shot but complaining that it isn't 100% perfect out of the box isn't exactly fair given the nature of third party support for application and drivers are the ones who must be relied upon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement