Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposits and safety

Options
  • 11-03-2007 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭

Just went out to view an apartment today and the landlady told me she'd want the first months rent and deposit, up front, in cash and pretty much now. i pointed out that i tend not to carry two and half grand around on me and theres now way i can lay my hands on that amount on a sunday but I could withdraw it from the bank tomorrow. She hummed and hawed and said shed get back to me if no-one else takes the apt today.

Now my real attitude was that ATM all I really know about the landlady is :
    a) she has a mobile phone
    b) she has the keys to this place

And i wasn't handing over a wad of readies on that basis.

SO Is it normal for landlords to expect you to stump up on the spot? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Bambi wrote:
    SO Is it normal for landlords to expect you to stump up on the spot? :confused:
    There was a guy scamming renters for deposits last year
    http://rte.ie/news/2006/0421/dublin.html

Seems strange that she wants cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

very strange

I wouldn't hand over any readies until the date of moving in when you sign contracts and get the keys

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For that amount of money, I'd put it into her account through the bank, as proof of payment. That, and I'd ask to meet her at the apartment, to ensure the keys work.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,398 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Give her a cheque / bank draft. Ask for lease / rent book.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Victor wrote:
    Give her a cheque / bank draft. Ask for lease / rent book.
    plus keys and on the day of moving in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

This conversations took place in the apartment in question I thought maybe the rental market is so crazy now that people are plonking down wads of readies straight away. What really put me off was her and the husband (or whoever) then wanted to know what amount i could get my hands on right away :rolleyes:

She could have been kosher but "could" isnt good enough when it comes to something like that really :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

This would be a reckless way for a landlord to rent out an apartment. From her point of view, she knows nothing about you. You're taking a risk by giving her you hard-earned two and a half grand, but she's taking an even bigger risk, letting you into her 300-tonne apartment.

I don't know why anyone would do it that way. Still, maybe she is really badly stuck for cash. I would be inclined to get her a banker's draft though.

Advertisement