Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Dead???

Options
  • 11-03-2007 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

My computer suddenly froze when connecting antennae to AIW 9800SE.
    So reset the machine
    Got a BIOS checksum error and went into the BIOS and reset it.

Rebooted and got no POST screen but this line atop a black screen with cursor flashing beneath:

RV350 4P Samsung DDR AIW BIOS P/N 95713-100

which is the graphics card BIOS information.

Looks like the BIOS has become corrupted?

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Sounds more likely that the motherboard BIOS is causing this. I don't think a dead graphics card would usually display even the info at the start. If there is a motherboard BIOS setting causing the pc not to boot then you should try clearing all settings of the BIOS. You have nothing to lose by trying.
    Unplug power lead from pc and remove the CMOS(BIOS) battery from the motherboard for a few minutes. Alternatively if you have a motherboard manual you can check to see if there is a clear CMOS jumper which would have the same effect as removing the battery. You would have to go back into the BIOS settings again afterwards to set up certain things such as the clock, the boot sequence of the drives etc.
    This link is about changing the battery, same principle except that you'll probably be putting the same battery again. If the pc is a few years old maybe a new battery is needed. Most motherboards seem to use the flat "penny" CR2032 battery.
    http://sacada2.net/cmos-battery-cmos-battery-replacement/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

You're right, it's not the graphics card, swapped out and it's working fine on another machine, other machines card not working on this one either.

Panic over, I hope!
    Tried the BIOS thing and it seems to be fine now.

Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Glad you got it sorted. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

duridian wrote:
    Glad you got it sorted. :)

Yeah it's a relief! Really wasn't planning to upgrade to 64Bit and PCI Express yet! It does what I want so I'm happy with it for now.

Advertisement