Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fresh yeast

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I will try the Semolina at Tesco if that is the right stuff... what do you mean about the pizza stone ?

Yeah I have used the Tesco one and i've used others some are ground finer then others but I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Pizza stone an unglazed pice of ceramic. You pit it in the oven when you turn it on and let it heat up with the oven. Then you slide the pizza onto the stone to cook in the oven. The heat of the stone cooks the pizza from the bottom up so you get a crispy underneath. It simulates the stone ovens traditionally used for baking pizza and bread in.

When i do pizza I would put the stone in crank the over to max temp (235 degrees C on my oven). Let that get up to temp + a bit of time to make sure pizza stone is as hot as possible.

I make the pizza on a surface that has semolina on it (instead of on a floured surface). I have a pizza peel/paddle now but I used to use a baking tray with no edges to slide under the pizza and slide it onto the stone. Pizza cooks in about 7-10 mins.

Stone and peel came from TK Max both were about 10/15 euro each.

Stone is also good for making bread on. You can slos use the stone with a BBQ and make pizza on your BBQ. Same method, heat the BBQ to the max and then fore the pizza onto the hot stone.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0244-Perfect-Results-Ceramic/dp/B006JIGM5O

https://www.weberbbq.co.uk/product/weber-style-pizza-paddle/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Wow the pizza stone sounds like a fantastic idea ! I never thought of it. Amazon.co.uk won't ship to Ireland but there is one on kitchencookware.ie but its €25 including P&P. Not sure if its ceramic though.

aindriu80 wrote: »
    Wow the pizza stone sounds like a fantastic idea ! I never thought of it. Amazon.co.uk won't ship to Ireland but there is one on kitchencookware.ie but its €25 including P&P. Not sure if its ceramic though.

It is, they are pretty much all the same. The secret to it all is def cranking the oven to the max and making sure stone is as hot as possible. I hear the dough sizzle putting it on. I will warn that it takes a bit of practice getting the dough on the stone.

I just ordered a pizza stone off kitchenware.ie. Two minutes later I see a cheaper one on the site for €6 less, doh.

Thanks for the help, going to pick up the fresh yeast tomorrow and the rest and have a go at pizza:)

Look forward to hearing how it goes! My wife is from your direction I might have to send her in to get some next time she's home depending on how you get on!

• Advertisement

Rew wrote: »
    Look forward to hearing how it goes! My wife is from your direction I might have to send her in to get some next time she's home depending on how you get on!

LOL hopefully I won't need too much help. Looking forward to getting cooking.

10003685_10152790300667329_8072451442085738678_o.jpg

just made pizza last night.. It was fairly good and I eat it very quickly.

I made the dough the day before and left it for 2 hours in the kitchen then in the fridge overnight but it didn't rise as much as I would have expected. I used the fresh yeast I bought. I'm pretty sure the fresh yeast is new, only a few days old..... when I pressed my finger against the dough it didn't spring back out.

Advertisement