Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election - Where to Vote c.May 18th in Wicklow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No
    Will definitely be voting, but will be putting a sign up on our door saying "No canvassing or election material please". It has already started coming in and the date hasn't even been set yet.

Anyone ignoring my sign will lose my vote by default for a couple of reasons: a) they can't read or have chosen not to; and b) if they can't follow one simple request, how the hell will they handle any complex requests that a TD would routinely get?

Single issue candidates can forget about my vote too. If they're only interested in a very narrow agenda, how do I know they'll properly represent me in other areas of concern for the community.

I'm not hard to please at all, am I! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

Is Evelyn Cawley a single issue candidate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

No
    Wineman wrote:
    I don't know. I wasn't singling out any candidate in my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

No
    Wineman wrote:

Wineman, the various running issues are addressed on the links to the candidates websites below.

Evelyn Cawley's:

http://evelyncawley.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ryecatcher

Did anyone get Evelyn Cawley's postcard in their door? It seemed most disturbing that she was advocating 'Honest POLOtics'.
    I wouldn't be the most politically minded person, but if a politician can't spell politics, or proof read her own advertising....
    Unless, of course there is some new minty sweet combining polos and tictacs, then I'd be interested.:D

• Advertisement

No
    ryecatcher wrote:
    Did anyone get Evelyn Cawley's postcard in their door? It seemed most disturbing that she was advocating 'Honest POLOtics'.
    I wouldn't be the most politically minded person, but if a politician can't spell politics, or proof read her own advertising....
    Unless, of course there is some new minty sweet combining polos and tictacs, then I'd be interested.:D

Yeah, mispelling, the big issue!

Maybe a candidate could run on that ticket, but they wouldn't get the dyslexic vote.

Funny enough, the flyer I got was spelt "politics"...maybe you got the test run.

No
    Anybody reading the Wicklow Times might have noticed that Dick Roche has gone to 1:50 (i.e. bet 50 to win1!). Dick's boast is that he carrying a 3,000 surplus guaranteed. So don't waste your vote, he's a shoe in and won't need it ;)

Evelyn Cawley has gone from 22:1 to 5:2. Paddy Power must be taking big sums on this market, because they keep closing it down and revising the odds.

http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_type&category=SPECIALS&disp_cat_id=&ev_class_id=33&ev_type_id=8065&ev_oc_grp_ids=45157&bir_index=

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Wineman

As I recall Evelyn Cawley slated the Charlesland Development in the Sunday World newspaper some time last year (presumably before she decided to run for election), as far as I remember the headline was something to do with a concrete jungle in the Garden of Ireland. I remember it because I was pretty offended by it at the time. I also got one of the glossy postcards through the door, I wonder does that mean she has changed her mind about us?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sparks115

No
    Wineman wrote:
    As I recall Evelyn Cawley slated the Charlesland Development in the Sunday World newspaper some time last year (presumably before she decided to run for election), as far as I remember the headline was something to do with a concrete jungle in the Garden of Ireland. I remember it because I was pretty offended by it at the time. I also got one of the glossy postcards through the door, I wonder does that mean she has changed her mind about us?

I dont know her or her campaign but I dont think she personally has a problem with the people of Charlesland Wineman. I for one live here and I am not mad about the design of the estate..lets be honest it could be more asthetically pleasing to the eye. I dont know much about her either but I think you shouldnt be so offended at least she didnt call us all blowins. Lets call a spade a spade we have all seen housing estates go up in every area we lived in and thought here we go another concrete block of ugly houses...if thats the worst thing she has going for her she may be a sight better than some other of those lovely people that will come knocking on all ours doors soon enough and I cant wait to hear the clap trap they are going to come out with. We all probably have issues we all want to be dealt with me for one is the hospital situation and future envoirmental issues so thats going to be my major nagging point. If yours is a politician calling the estate a concrete block you are very very lucky to have a peaceful and contented life. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭superdudeman007

I thought St KKevin's was used

• Advertisement

No
    Wineman wrote:

Doesn't add do one's credibility when you misrespresent somebody. Similar to the type of unsubstantiation regularly spouted by local councillors in the Wicklow Times.

The article you refer to is below, the heading was "The Rape of the Garden County" and Evelyn Cawley (or indeed the entire article) does not refer anywhere to Charlesland. In fact, Evelyn has been very active in meeting with people from Charlesland on many issues, but don't let the facts get in the way!

Article you "refer" to from Sunday World pasted below. Evelyn Cawley:"the difficulty is that it is all developer driven. Land banks are being built upon when they come on stream when the developers can get the best prices, not according to where it is a good place to develop. A lot of the outlying areas like Kilcoole and Kilmacanogue have been developed. In some cases it is good to restore life to declining villages. But, when you get homes built on the periphery, not integrated, you just have another commuter belt"

If anyone thinks that the estates now being built are models of good planning, I would hate to see their idea of bad planning.

Next time you are trying to get to work, baulking at your mangement company fees, or even find a postbox (coming soon :eek:), have a think about the people that are charged with making these decisions, and who are supposed to insist on provision of services and facilities before agreeing to rezoning and supporting planning applications, you should realise that major change is needed.

You plan development around services and facilities not the other way around as you only get the services/facilities after the building which is the example of bad planning today. Schools/health centres and other vital services should be give priority as should planning for proper rail/bus services and where employment can be located.

PLANNING IS A HUGE ISSUE and it is one issue which Evelyn Cawley has taken heads on.

[IMG]http://www.footypix.com\files\SundayWorld.JPG[/IMG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

No
    This thread appears to be more and more a political broadcast for Evelyn Cawley.

She even appears at the top of the list of candidates!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This thread appears to be more and more a political broadcast for Evelyn Cawley.

I'm inclined to agree.

There's a dedicated forum for the 2007 Election here, I'm leaing towards asking that specific issues (of course other than where to vote, which was the original point of this thread) be raised there instead.

No
    Marcais wrote:
    Doesn't add do one's credibility when you misrespresent somebody. Similar to the type of unsubstantiation regularly spouted by local councillors in the Wicklow Times.

The article you refer to is below, the heading was "The Rape of the Garden County" and Evelyn Cawley (or indeed the entire article) does not refer anywhere to Charlesland. In fact, Evelyn has been very active in meeting with people from Charlesland on many issues, but don't let the facts get in the way!

Article you "refer" to from Sunday World pasted below. Evelyn Cawley:"the difficulty is that it is all developer driven. Land banks are being built upon when they come on stream when the developers can get the best prices, not according to where it is a good place to develop. A lot of the outlying areas like Kilcoole and Kilmacanogue have been developed. In some cases it is good to restore life to declining villages. But, when you get homes built on the periphery, not integrated, you just have another commuter belt"

If anyone thinks that the estates now being built are models of good planning, I would hate to see their idea of bad planning.

Next time you are trying to get to work, baulking at your mangement company fees, or even find a postbox (coming soon :eek:), have a think about the people that are charged with making these decisions, and who are supposed to insist on provision of services and facilities before agreeing to rezoning and supporting planning applications, you should realise that major change is needed.

You plan development around services and facilities not the other way around as you only get the services/facilities after the building which is the example of bad planning today. Schools/health centres and other vital services should be give priority as should planning for proper rail/bus services and where employment can be located.

PLANNING IS A HUGE ISSUE and it is one issue which Evelyn Cawley has taken heads on.

[IMG]http://www.footypix.com\files\SundayWorld.JPG[/IMG]

This post was in reply to misinformation around the candidate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

This is indeed a party political broadcast on behalf of Evelyn Cawley.

The subtlety is amazing!

No
    ballooba wrote:
    This is indeed a party political broadcast on behalf of Evelyn Cawley.

The subtlety is amazing!

Fine Gael's combination of arrogance and ignorance in Wicklow is as much of a broadcast as is needed.

ps. given that Evelyn is the only real independent candidate for Wicklow, "party" political broadcast is a misnomer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Just FYI, the Paddy Power link is to the Wexford statistics, not the Wicklow ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Marcais wrote:
    Fine Gael's combination of arrogance and ignorance in Wicklow is as much of a broadcast as is needed.

ps. given that Evelyn is the only real independent candidate for Wicklow, "party" political broadcast is a misnomer.

Its still a political broadcast, she must be getting desperate for any sort of publicity.

Her web site is nice, howerver she might as we declare she wants Christmas every day as she won't be in a position to deliver anything even if by some miracle she is elected.

Want your vote to matter - www.thenextsteps.ie

No
    That is comical coming from a Fianna Fail supporter! "Vote for us again and we'll decrease the top tax rate band another 1% etc., etc."...pathetic auction politics.

FF have been entrusted with the care of the country for years, having more funds at its disposal than in the history of Ireland, yet we are second bottom of 26 countries in Europe in health, second from top in various crime statistics and second highest pupil per teacher ratio !!

Anybody who votes for Fianna Fail, Fine Gael or anybody who would form a coalition witht them is wasting their vote and asking for more of the same.

Vote for somebody who is not in the pocket of developers and can produce results You've had the rest....now try the best ;)
    skearon wrote:
    Its still a political broadcast, she must be getting desperate for any sort of publicity.

Her web site is nice, howerver she might as we declare she wants Christmas every day as she won't be in a position to deliver anything even if by some miracle she is elected.

Want your vote to matter - www.thenextsteps.ie

Marcais wrote:
    That is comical coming from a Fianna Fail supporter! "Vote for us again and we'll decrease the top tax rate band another 1% etc., etc."...pathetic auction politics.

Actually FF will protect our prosperity, keep our economy strong and encourage enterprise. FF believe in maintaining low levels of direct taxation.
    Marcais wrote:
    FF have been entrusted with the care of the country for years, having more funds at its disposal than in the history of Ireland, yet we are second bottom of 26 countries in Europe in health, second from top in various crime statistics and second highest pupil per teacher ratio !!

Some facts: Health funding has increased four-fold since 1997 from 3.6b to 14.5b in 2007; This extra investment has brought about major results, including record levels of activity in the acute hospital system and a whole range of extra services provided across all programmes. Waiting Lists have fallen. 80% of patients now wait less than one year for surgical treatment. Generally anyone waiting for inpatient treatment for over three months is offered treatment.. Between end 1997 and end September 2006, there was an increase of 38,076 staff (or 56%) in wholetime equivalent terms. There were 54% (+2,685) more medical/dental personnel; 33% (+9,082) more nurses employed in the health services; 146% (+8,663) more health and social care professionals.

The reality is that Fine Gael and Labour have become largely policy-free zones. They demand the immediate spending of billions more on health, but dismissed calls for explain where the money would come from. They take the position of being in favour of reform in general, but against specific reforms. They accuse of spending too much, but demand more spending!

Major improvements in school staffing have been made in recent years. There are 7,000 more teachers in our primary schools now than there were in 1997 and 4,000 more than in 2002. This is the largest increase in teacher numbers since the expansion of free education. The number of children in classes over 30 nationally has also been halved since 1997. Significantly smaller class sizes have been introduced in disadvantaged schools involved in the Giving Children an Even Break and Breaking the Cycle programme, with approximately 47,700 pupils in 243 participating schools availing of reduced class sizes of either 15 or 20 pupils per class.
    Marcais wrote:
    Anybody who votes for Fianna Fail ... is asking for more of the same.

I certainly hope so.

• Advertisement

Marcais wrote:
    Anybody who votes for Fianna Fail, Fine Gael or anybody who would form a coalition witht them is wasting their vote and asking for more of the same.

Vote for somebody who is not in the pocket of developers and can produce results You've had the rest....now try the best ;)
    That is completely laughable. Why is Evelyn Cawley running for election?

Are you saying she won't make a deal with Fianna Fail or Fine Gael to achieve her goals? Face it, one or the other is going to be in government.

If she isn't going to make a deal, then a vote for her is a vote wasted. She will never achieve her goals without the support of a major party. She would be one candidate in a Dail of 186.

No
    ballooba wrote:
    That is completely laughable. Why is Evelyn Cawley running for election?

Are you saying she won't make a deal with Fianna Fail or Fine Gael to achieve her goals? Face it, one or the other is going to be in government.

If she isn't going to make a deal, then a vote for her is a vote wasted. She will never achieve her goals without the support of a major party. She would be one candidate in a Dail of 186.

As an independent she can choose her terms and not be led by a party (or a party's financiers)

Supporters of the big two parties that have this country in the mess that it is only defence is to attack those who would actually seek to better this country instead of leech of it.

I can understand your fear but overall you shouldn't worry. There are so many non-thinking Muppets in this country who vote for parties because their families etc. have done so and will continue to do so. Then they whine about the state of public services ! We have third world facilities despite having billions available to the government.

However, the lack of facilities and outrageous planning decisions by Fine Gael and Fianna Fail Councillors in Wicklow e.g. Greystones Marina has even turned their supporters against them and Evelyn has a very good chance of being elected. [note Paddy Powers from 22:1 to 5:2]

Evelyn Cawley and independents like her are the only hope people have to enforce change. You should not underestimate the power that an independent may broker.

Marcais wrote:
    As an independent she can choose her terms and not be led by a party (or a party's financiers)
    She will have to back one or the other to have her objectives met. Not so independent then.
    Marcais wrote:
    I can understand your fear but overall you shouldn't worry.
    No fear here, she's going to end up in someone's camp. There's a fifty-fifty chance it will be with FG, that's if she gets in.
    Marcais wrote:
    [note Paddy Powers from 22:1 to 5:2]
    How could we forget. You remind us every five mnutes. How much did you put on to close it that much?
    Marcais wrote:
    Evelyn Cawley and independents like her are the only hope people have to enforce change. You should not underestimate the power that an independent may broker.
    As I said. She is one T.D. among 186, the only power she has is that she brokers in a deal with a large party.

4 Seats Gone:
    Billy Timmons
    Dick Roche
    Liz McManus
    Deirdre DeBurca

1 Seat Left, possibly for an independent.

Maybe it will be Evelyn, maybe it won't. Your transparent canvassing is somewhat lacking in substance though. I hope you have kept some powder dry. Best of Luck, I won't be providing any more oxygen for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

ballooba wrote:

4 Seats Gone:
    Billy Timmons
    Dick Roche
    Liz McManus
    Deirdre DeBurca

1 Seat Left, possibly for an independent.

Dick Roche
    Liz McManus
    Billy Timmons
    Joe Behan
    Nicky Kelly/Deirdre De Burca

In that order. :)

ballooba wrote:
    I hope you have kept some powder dry. Best of Luck, I won't be providing any more oxygen for this thread.

I agree :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭new arrival

No
    Marcais, if you want votes for Evelyn, get knocking on doors.

I think everyone saw through the political broadcast my friend!

Ray777 wrote:
    Dick Roche
    Liz McManus
    Billy Timmons
    Joe Behan
    Nicky Kelly/Deirdre De Burca

In that order. :)
    I'd agree that Nicky Kelly is in with a shout.He's not to be underestimated now that there is an open race for the south of the county.

Strongish Candidates based down there that I know of are Pat Doran (disaffected FF),Nicky and then less strong but you never know Pat Fitzgerald of FF.

Fitzgerald might transfer to a 2nd FF'er and Kelly as could Doran when or if they are eliminated.

De burca might do well especially in the heavily populated north of the county and on the green tide.

I think Mildred's brother Chris who is a co.co and on East coast FM every other day is running aswell so really that makes the race in Wicklow very very interesting.
    He'll have her record and support to back him up and thats not to be discounted either.Theres a particularally strong "independent" organisation behind them both with a lot of loyalty.
    The stuff Mildred got in the county in tandem with what Healy Rae got down in Kerry hasn't been forgotten.
    Mildred has in essence been the Secret FF'er in Wicklow without the albatross of being in government.

Again it shall be interesting.

While I'm here I may as well nail my colours to the mast , I'll be giving my number one down here to Nicky Kelly (Labour).
    I don't think Billy Timmins will need my vote so my transfers are up for grabs - any suggestions.
    It won't be going to the 2nd FG candidate because I don't think theres a quota here for a 2nd FG T.D and I'm not fond of DeBurca-she does my head in tbh.

I've no intention in the wide earthly world of voting for Roche , though he will get in and possibly ironicly first.

Tristrame wrote:
    I don't think Billy Timmins will need my vote so my transfers are up for grabs - any suggestions.
    Hopefully your fellow constituents don't all take the same view. ;)

Now, if only the McDowell supporters in my own constituency would be that complacent I'd be laughin'.

• Advertisement
Advertisement