Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as too much oil ?

Options
  • 11-03-2007 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm always afraid I'll damage my chainset if I put too much oil on ,is this true?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

_Brian_ wrote:
    I'm always afraid I'll damage my chainset if I put too much oil on ,is this true?
    It depends on where you're putting the oil. There's no need to put any on the teeth, it's really needed on the chain.

If you put too much on the chain it'll either fling off and get on your brake surfaces(bad- affects braking) or it'll stick to the chain and attract muck and grit (also bad - will wear your chain and chainwheel and affect your efficiency).

I use a light oil, let it penetrate and then wipe off any excess.

For the bottom-bracket, I leave it alone as mine is a sealed unit & if it needs anything, it would be grease, not oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Appreciate the reply ,thanks cyclo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

If you put too much on the chain it'll either fling off and get on your brake surfaces(bad- affects braking) or it'll stick to the chain and attract muck and grit (also bad - will wear your chain and chainwheel and affect your efficiency).

I use a light oil, let it penetrate and then wipe off any excess.
    QFT
    Also, the type of oil you use if important, if it is too light it will fly off and too heavy (tending towards grease) it will attract dirt/grime. I find Finish Line Cross Country lube to be quite good. I have also tried white lightening but have not used it long enough to give an opinion! :)
    R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Can I get that oil in any bike shop ,I find it easy to go out to cyclesuperstore late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

theres always time for lubrication, sorry just couldnt resist, I prefer grease

• Advertisement
Advertisement