Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Someone crashed into me - need some advice

Options
  • 11-03-2007 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

I parked my car today while having some lunch. When I came out someone had crashed into my car and another and drove off. Thankfully, there were a good few witnesses and we got the reg etc. Guards showed up and located the van (but not the driver). It seems to be a company van and so, with any luck, there's insurance.

My question is this. What is the procedure now from my side for getting my car fixed (wing mirror + front wing). Should I call my insurance company (Quinn Direct) and let them deal with it? Does this then count as a "claim", even though they should be able to recover 100% of the costs from the other insurer?

I've been driving 20 years and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with something like this so a little bit of practical advice would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

While its a pain its best to inform your insurance company and yes it will count as a claim until its settled, which means you'll 'loose' your no claims bonus if you have to renew before the guilty partys' insurance pays out.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Lemo wrote:
    I've been driving 20 years and this is the first time I've ever had to deal with something like this so a little bit of practical advice would be great.

totally OT but out of interest, with 20 years experience..why Quinn??

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

ninty9er wrote:
    totally OT but out of interest, with 20 years experience..why Quinn??

I wanted open drive and theirs was the best quote at €606 (AA's quote was about the same without open drive).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

fair enough...I suppose they'll treat more experience drivers differently to young drivers (even with experience)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I had a crash before and I found it easier to deal with it myself. I informed Quinn Direct of the accident to cover my ass, but after that I just rang the other party's insurance company and they sent out an assessor, then sent me the cheque etc. The other person was with Eagle Star so they were quite prompt with getting me my money.

You should only "lose" your NCB if you've comprehensive insurance and you want your money immediately (you make a comprehensive claim, then they recover the money that they paid you from the other person). Even then, you should only lose the comprehensive part of your NCB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Couple of my friends got smashed into at a junction when a guy went through a red light. They informed their insurance company, even though it was all going through the other guys. Over the course of 2 years their insurance went up and they paid out over E3000 on top of what thier premium had usually been. Was eventually settled in court but they did bot get any of the money back they had paid out on their premium while it was being dealt with.

Because of this, personally id just deal with the crashee's insurance if similar happened to me. But thats only my personal view, not strictly the correct one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Similar thing happened to me a few months back. The other party was insured with Quinn who dealt with the whole thing. I was boliged to inform Eagle Star.

My renewal was up shortly after, my broker got them to clear the claim before my renewal.

Advertisement