Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Paul Phelan

• 11-03-2007 6:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭

I don't know if many of you good folks of boards have come across this Fine Gael Candidate in South Kilkenny, but I had the chance during the week to read some of his views in a Kilkenny paper. I'm seriously wondering if this chap wasn't born in the 1930's or something.

Firstly there's this piece from his blog

"Lebenstraum" First Waterford now Wexford

"Lebenstraum" living space is what Hitler euphemistically referred to his foray into Poland and the Sudetenland. It was built upon a simple premise of we want it, we think we need it so lets go and get it. Crude but that’s the way it was. You would have thought that day would have passed but it seems in South Kilkenny we are beginning to resemble 1941 Czechoslovakia. First it was Waterford upon seeing the lost rates revenue that could be theirs stemming from the success of Belview Port in South Kilkenny. Like the SS New Ross Urban District Council display some disturbing characteristics in those Wexford politicians are mercenary, money grabbing and fail to look after the problems of their own area.

Link

One could say pot and kettle there considering the mercenary, money grabbing politicians in the South KK area and how well they look after their own areas. There is also Godwin's law - seriously where does this chap thing he is ?

I'll tell you where he thinks he is, he's going around on bebo or his 'profile' is and leaving comments on profiles of kids in the Killkenny/Carlow area.

His Bebo

Seriously is this what we are going to be faced with in this upcoming election ?

Now look, the anti-waterford bunch will come out and run out the hurling argument etc., to be honest, keep it, I really don't care about it, I do care about how my county and city develops in the next 10 years and people in South Kilkenny should leave whatever parochial issues they have and think about the future. And the same goes for the usual shower of waterford people that will say oh ya have to come over the bridge for work etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The river is the natrual frontier, and shall be defended.

We'll send a gunboat!

The guy is a County Counciler. Ooops apparently he's a Senator. Glorified...er what does a Senator do?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

mike65 wrote:
    The guy is a County Counciler. Ooops apparently he's a Senator. Glorified...er what does a Senator do?

Mike.

Spend most of their time on bebo trawling for votes ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

lol love the "Lebenstraum" comment on his blog, who the fu*k this lad thinks he is ? I would be surprised if he sprayed painted that abuse on the Waterford to Dublin Over Pass (near the red bridge petrol station).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

JP is a lovely guy, but I'd prefer him if he could spell Lebensraum without a 't' in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Yep indeed, it's crazy comparing what waterford are submitting for and what Hilter did. He was a murdering sociopath. Anyone who resorts to that obviously has no clue what the people who were taking over by the Germans in the 30s & 40s went through. :mad:

Although I would have reservations about New Ross getting part of South Kilkenny, they really are useless, but we'll have to see what they say if they go ahead with it and submit the proposal to take part of KK. It better be better than losing rates to business who set up across the river cause New Ross is so bad for traffic etc. Hardly Kilkenny's fault that they're too incompetent to bring the businesses into the town. :rolleyes: They will have even more resistance after Waterford's submission.

Waterford is a different story, the reasons for that have been thought out for years and make a lot of sense! I lost all faith in the co co's argument against it when they claimed they'd be losing money, just proves what I always suspected they don't spend the money they earn from the area in the area, which is ridiculous, bastards. I love Kilkenny but these **** and people who refer to Nazis give the place a bad name.

He isn't the only of them one using bebo, apparently Enda and the rest of FG have resorted to this tactic too, they don't seem to realise it's mostly under 18s using bebo. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I suggest you go read some of his website statements where he calls for investment in WRH and WIT as a university.
    Hardly 'anti-Waterford' are they :rolleyes: ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Lol @ tags :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Ignoring all the issues, I can't believe politicians are using Bebo to attract votes.
    Are they trying to get "down" with the young people?
    Surely they're just undermining their credibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Ignoring all the issues, I can't believe politicians are using Bebo to attract votes.
    Are they trying to get "down" with the young people?

By young people, u mean young girls?

By "down" you mean sex?

yes I said it !

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

Kilkenny City are looking to take some land from Kilkenny County for the same reasons that Waterford City is... Are they Nazi's too

Kettle, Black & Pot comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Some KK politicians really are savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Ive seen the pimping on Bebo , that alone was enough to put me off really .

Im sure hes a lovely chap etc etc but BEBO ......................I dont think so Mister.

Im sorry Im not done yet...................BEBO FFS!!!! Christ almighty ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Bards

he'll soon be advertising in the Beano and on Nick Toons etc.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

mfitzy wrote:
    I suggest you go read some of his website statements where he calls for investment in WRH and WIT as a university.

I think you mis-understand my original point, I'm not irate over his anti-waterford stance, I am worried and perturbed that he rolled out such a piece. I think that it wouldn't have gone a miss in the likes of 'The Sun' or something. It stinks of something that it would print.

I don't think in this day and age that as a developed society we can't try and sort out boundary issues like this without reverting back to heraldic times, I'm half expecting him to call on the clans to mass on mount brandon and make a raid on the new ross and waterford areas.

It also begs the question what really does he stand for, if he trots out pieces like this, do they as you have pointed out negate his statements of encouragement ? Or is he just another flip flopper, changing to whatever side of the argument suits him best without having the testicular fortitude to stand up and be counted ? It also bothers me that he has come out with such a statement and yet there 'he' is trawling bebo, being kids best friends. Do they think he's 'cool' or do they really know what he thinks ?

To be honest I don't like Fine Gale ;) I don't think they have any backbone, and Enda Kenny seems like a rabid andrex puppy. And this tool is just another symptom of a party that doesn't really want to move forward or stand up and tackle the hard issues progressively.

@ Roen - wondered how long that would take for someone to spot it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

mfitzy wrote:

What complete and utter claptrap. Lebensraum?:rolleyes: Well, Kilkenny reps have accused waterford City Council of behaving like Nazis. Isn't he just carrying on a tradition. It really highlights the gulf between Kilkenny and Waterford......and the performance of their public representatives. Waterford streets ahead there.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭sk8board

If you didn't want to pay the rates, why did you build the new port on the KK side of the river in '91? This arguement was brought up back then too.

Suggestion:
    Lets make things even more rediculous, and reverse things, getting KKCC to submit a bid to re-draw the KK county boundary to encompass waterford.

And enough of the 'hurling' arguement please. Makes my skin crawl every time i hear it mentioned.
    Surely you can see why KK do NOT want this plan to go ahead? Nazi comments aside!

Heres a very good read: the KKCC response to the waterford bid (Dec '05):
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Statement_of_Response_to_Waterford_City_Council_Main_Report.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

sk8board wrote:
    If you didn't want to pay the rates, why did you build the new port on the KK side of the river in '91? This arguement was brought up back then too.

Suggestion:
    Lets make things even more rediculous, and reverse things, getting KKCC to submit a bid to re-draw the KK county boundary to encompass waterford.

And enough of the 'hurling' arguement please. Makes my skin crawl every time i hear it mentioned.
    Surely you can see why KK do NOT want this plan to go ahead? Nazi comments aside!

Heres a very good read: the KKCC response to the waterford bid (Dec '05):
    http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/resources/Statement_of_Response_to_Waterford_City_Council_Main_Report.pdf

It's going to happen. Get over it. Not right now.....but very soon. It's inevitable really.:D

Freddie59 wrote:
    It's going to happen. Get over it. Not right now.....but very soon. It's inevitable really.:D

thats the usual fightin' talk that we've come to expect. I can hardly sleep at night :rolleyes:

but it hardly answers the question

Q: If you didn't want to pay the rates, why did you build the new port on the KK side of the river in '91? This arguement was brought up back then too.

Come to think of it, why put the Train station there too?

There are a number of towns divided by county boundaries; yet only New Ross and Waterford seem to have trouble with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

sk8board wrote:
    Q: If you didn't want to pay the rates, why did you build the new port on the KK side of the river in '91? This arguement was brought up back then too.

I would have thought that when the decision to move the port was made, that finding the most suitable site from an access and development perspective was much more important than county loyalty or the payment of rates.

sk8board wrote:
    Come to think of it, why put the Train station there too?

What train station are you talking about? If you mean Plunkett station, I think you'll find that it's in Waterford city.

sk8board wrote:
    There are a number of towns divided by county boundaries; yet only New Ross and Waterford seem to have trouble with it.

No, Waterford and New Ross are the only ones reported on week after week in the KK People.

Other cities are trying to expand in the same way, especially Limerick, which is trying to extend its city-council area into both Co Clare and Co Limerick. There's lots of opposition in Clare to this, just like in KK.

Cork city is trying to extend into Cork County Council's area too, and the Co Co are going ballistic because they will lose rates, etc. Shows that county loyalty is not necessarily always the no. 1 concern - the threat of county councillors losing power is a big factor too.

I seem to remember Athlone and Carrick-on-Shannon wanting their boundaries revised too, but I can't be sure in those cases.

fricatus wrote:
    I would have thought that when the decision to move the port was made, that finding the most suitable site from an access and development perspective was much more important than county loyalty or the payment of rates.

but i guess the issue of county loyalty and payment of rates is back on the table now that the port is built.

I think its time to play a new record in KK/W relations. This will just go tit for tat forever.

later

• Advertisement
Advertisement