Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softmodded Xbox, HD Failure

Options
  • 11-03-2007 6:28pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A couple of years ago, a mate softmodded my 1.6 Crystal with a 60 gig IBM Deathstar I had lying around. Naturally, my choice of HD was asking for trouble and it failed completely there a couple of weeks ago.

What's my best option for getting it back on it's feet? Will I have to start the softmodding process from scratch. If so, I'll need to get my hands on Splinter Cell or similar and a memory card?

Also, is there an issue with drives >127Gb?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

you will need the eeprom key which you can get with original hdd or its hopefully backed up. have a look at the xbe exploits section at xbox-scene forum. you do not need splinter cell with xboxhdm method, very easy to do imo.i softmodded a 400g hdd without any problem.have F partition at 250gig abd G the remainder.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Problem then, I don't have the original HD or a backup of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

does hdd spin up at all or is it totally dead. what does the xbox say when it turns on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

mayto wrote:
    does hdd spin up at all or is it totally dead. what does the xbox say when it turns on.
    It lcicks a bit but nothing happens, whipped it out and ran HDDRegen on it on my PC and all the sectors are stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Best get a modchip installed, either temporarily or permanently.
    They are fierce handy when softmods go wrong.

• Advertisement

The rub is that I'm skint and a proper hardmod is not really an option atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭coadyj

bring me a new hd and the box and ill fix it for you.
    you mate must have made a boot disk, you could use that to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

my bloody modded xbox is after dying, can someone who has the bits and bobs for softmod pm me?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

coadyj wrote:
    bring me a new hd and the box and ill fix it for you.
    you mate must have made a boot disk, you could use that to fix it.

Do you have an eeprom reader for Xbox? Solderless modchip to get the eeprom of his Xbox motherboard?

eeprom reader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

this just happened to me! was hotswapping and while i was backing up my C:, i pulled the power cable and the PC rebooted. not i get an error 7! is that fixable? i tried prepping another HDD with XboxHdm but get an error 5, i think it is. maybe 6.

think ill jsut sell it on here if i cant figure out a way to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

The_B_Man wrote:
    this just happened to me! was hotswapping and while i was backing up my C:, i pulled the power cable and the PC rebooted. not i get an error 7! is that fixable? i tried prepping another HDD with XboxHdm but get an error 5, i think it is. maybe 6.

think ill jsut sell it on here if i cant figure out a way to fix it.

I'd think you blew your HDD when trying to hotswap, error code 7 means its fried !! Always ground PC to XBOX when doing a hotswap. The XBOX doesnt have a grounded chassis, its a floating ground so possibility of 100V transfer between PC and XBOX.

Error code 5 is HDD not locked. When you made a new HDD with XBOXHDM did you lock the HDD with the eeprom you put on the CD. When the HDD is finished being built you need to reboot and select "3" and then at command prompt type "lockhd -a"

Error code 6 is the opposite of this; HDD is locked can't unlock. Where did you get the new HDD to prep with XBOXHDM?

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/210562

well i mean the xbox was unmodded, so the HDD was stock. i had no way of getting the eeprom off the hdd, let alone onto xboxhdm. the other hard drive wasnt even out of another xbox. was an old PC one, which now contains a FATX file system, a loada XBOX files but no eeprom to be locked to the XBOX!

i can fix that for you.
    I have an eeprom reader. you can make one too. just google it.

is it easy? dont know the first thing about it and cant solder. actually, dont ya have to desolder the chip and stuff like that? or is that only for replacing it when ur banned from Live?

no, that was the old way, now you can make a reader.

when your banned from live you change the eeprom to an exceptable one.

wow, just googled that there! think building the eeprom reader goes beyond what I know about electronics! Aside from the fact that i dont own a soldering gun, and dont actually know how to solder! :(

So, coadyj, or anyone else, wanna offer to fix it for me? :D

ehhh, no.

Its just a device that hooks up to the eeprom chip and read the lock value off it. with that i make a new hd boot disk. you give me they hard drive, I install it on my pc and bobs your uncle you xbox is fixed.

Ye i've chipped my other XBOX and got the eeprom.bin files and used xboxhdm to upgrade the hdd to 200gb. the problem is i cant read the eeprom now on this new 1.6 XBOX. i can do the rest of the stuff fine. i cant build a reader meself so if i can buy one cheap ill do that. do u know where i can get a reader cheap? or even on ebay?

• Advertisement
Advertisement