Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Having problems installing Windows 98 SE

• 11-03-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I've been trying to install Windows 98 onto an empty hard drive.

I have partitioned the HD using Bootit NG.

I am trying to boot using the Windows 98 SE boot disk which I downloaded from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm .

I have typed in

E:>cd win98
    E:>win98>setup.exe

though it now states...

Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes to run
    E:\WIN98>

I have been advised to edit the autoexec.bat file and the config.sys file (which are located on the bootdisk) by deleting everything in both and typing in the following into the autoexec.bat file.
    @ECHO OFF
    cls
    set comspec=a:\command.com
    path=a:\;%CDROM%:\
    IF "%config%"=="NOCD" GOTO _nocd

smartdrv
    doskey /insert
    smartdrv
    LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:mscd001 /L:%CDROM%
    smartdrv
    goto _end

:_nocd
    smartdrv
    doskey /insert
    smartdrv

:_end
    cd\

Then to delete everything in the config.sys file and type in...
    [menu]
    menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
    menudefault=CD,30
    menucolor=7,0

[CD]
    device=himem.sys /testmem:off
    devicehigh=emm386.exe NOEMS
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=btdosm.sys
    device=flashpt.sys
    device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=aspi2dos.sys
    device=aspi8dos.sys
    device=aspi4dos.sys
    device=aspi8u2.sys
    device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001
    device=gcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

[NOCD]

[COMMON]
    dos=high,umb
    fileshigh=40
    buffershigh=4
    switches=/f
    lastdrive=z

The two smilies above are actually an o and :

I cannot locate either the autoexec.bat file or the config.sys file on the bootdisk.

To locate these files I have been advised to go into any explorer window to Tools -> Folder Options and select the 'View' tab. Scroll down and uncheck 'Hide protected operating system files'. Also, to select 'show hidden files and folders' and made sure 'Hide extensions for known file types' was unchecked.

I have done this but still cannot locate either on the bootdisk.

Just wondered if anyone had any advice on installing windows 98 SE, or how I can locate the autoexec.bat file or the config.sys files? If these two files are not on the bootdisk I have been advised that it is possible to create them. If so, how do I do this?

Thanks for any help...!! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

You can create these files by opening Notepad and copying and pasting in the text. Then save the two files, separately, as autoexec.txt and config.txt (automatic file extension.) Then locate the files and rename them (right-click > rename) as autoexec.bat and config.sys. Then copy and paste the files into the desired location. Before you do this you will need to ensure 'Hide extensions for known file types' is unchecked, in Folder Options, as you've described above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

copy the files from the CD to the c:\win98 folder

you can the bypass the CD driver and mscdex - freeing up the memory they would use - should allow you to install then

use the mem program to see largest program size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Becc

Thanks for the replies.

I was using the "search" facility and wasn't able to locate the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

I just went to "file" in firefox then "open file" and located both of them on the boot disk. So they were there after all...!

I was able to edit the autoexec.bat by simply right clicking on it and clicking "edit" then pasting in the new text and saving it.

I now want to edit the config.sys file but when I right click there is no edit option as it is a .sys file. It states on the microsoft site "This file is a Device Driver used by Microsoft Windows to communicate with the computer's hardware. This file does not contain data that can be opened."

So how do I edit the config.sys file so as it contains only the following information...
    [menu]
    menuitem=CD, Start computer with CD-ROM support.
    menuitem=NOCD, Start computer without CD-ROM support.
    menudefault=CD,30
    menucolor=7,0

[CD]
    device=oakcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=btdosm.sys
    device=flashpt.sys
    device=btcdrom.sys /D:mscd001
    device=aspi2dos.sys
    device=aspi8dos.sys
    device=aspi4dos.sys
    device=aspi8u2.sys
    device=aspicd.sys /D:mscd001
    device=gcdrom.sys /D:mscd001

[NOCD]

[COMMON]
    dos=high,umb
    fileshigh=40
    buffershigh=4
    switches=/f
    lastdrive=z
    The two smilies above are an o and :

Becc wrote:
    So how do I edit the config.sys file so as it contains only the following information...

Create a new config.sys file following the instructions in my post above. Then paste it into the required location, when you get the confirmation dialogue: "The file config.sys already exists. Do you want to replace it?" Click yes.

Thanks, do I save the config.txt onto the boot diskette or onto the HD?

I saved it onto the boot diskette after first pasting the info required for config onto notepad.

Then right clicked, and clicked rename but it said...

Cannot rename config. A file with the name you specified already exists. Specify a different file name.

• Advertisement

Save the newly created file into somewhere else like the desktop, then right click and rename the file. Finally paste the file in to the boot diskette, when you get the confirmation dialogue: "The file config.sys already exists. Do you want to replace it?" Click yes.

For safety it would be a good idea to first copy and paste the original config.sys file into My Documents, just in case the new one doesn't work.

Working with boot disks and DOS system files is tricky, and potentially risky, because double clicking these files can mean they may be applied to the system you're currently using. So please be careful with boot disk files once you've created them.

I saved the config file onto my desktop as config.txt then I went to this file which I had just saved and right clicked on it and clicked rename and changed the name to config.sys

Then I right clicked on the new name of config.sys (on the desktop) and clicked on "copy" so as I had a copy of it.

I then opened the boot diskette to which I want to paste this new config.sys

There is a config.sys already there so I right clicked on it in order to paste the new config.sys there, but there is no paste option there when I right click...

The solution is straightforward, to paste the file on to the disk, right-click an empty area on the window where the disk contents are displayed, not on the old config.sys file itself. Then you'll get the confirmation dialogue: "The file config.sys already exists. Do you want to replace it?" Click yes.

I suggest you copy the old file first and paste it into My Documents just in case you need it.

Thanks Oracle, I was able to transfer it that time!

I'm trying to install windows 98 from the cd onto the HD

I tried to boot from the bootdisk but when I try to it states on the screen...

The following file is missing or corrupted
    EMM386.EXE

There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 9

The following file is missing or corrupted
    GCDROM.SYS

There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 9

I've tried booting direct from the CD but it states...

Windows Setup requires 'largest executable program size' to be at least 442368 bytes

Would anyone know what might be wrong...? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

from a command prompt didn't you have to use some switches to use the cabfiles?, setup -m for example, memory very dusty , been a long time since I did tech support for 98SE

Choose boot with cdrom support then ..

setup -m e:\win98

IIRC

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Just remembered what we used to do back in the days of win 95 (b) and win98 etc.

1) Boot off the boot floppy with cd rom support.
    2) Do a quick format of the partition to be installed to - format -q e:\
    3) e:\
    4) md win98 (makes a directory called win98 on the e drive)
    5) cd e:\win98
    6) copy *.* e:\win98 (this makes install faster and when the user wants to add additional windows stuff from add remove programs it doesnt promt for the cd)
    7) cd e:\win98
    8) setup -m (there was a bunch of other switches but I forget them , but -m should be enough)

The setup you are currently trying to run is a win32 application which is why its giving errors in a dos environment.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks, to be honest I'm don't really know that much about computers so not sure what cabfiles are...

At the 'A' prompt I typed E: shouldn't this then change the prompt to an E prompt? It doesn't though...

The 'A' changes to a 'C' prompt when I type C:

Longfield wrote:
    1) Boot off the boot floppy with cd rom support.
    Do I just use the boot floppy Windows 98 SE boot disk as downloaded from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm ?

Do I have to adjust the autoexec and config files which are on this bootdisk? Or just use as is?

Becc wrote:
    Thanks, to be honest I'm don't really know that much about computers so not sure what cabfiles are...

At the 'A' prompt I typed E: shouldn't this then change the prompt to an E prompt? It doesn't though...

The 'A' changes to a 'C' prompt when I type C:

Sorry mate let me clarify a bit so.

1) Cabfiles = cabinet files, if you explore the win98 cd, in the win98 directory there will be loads of files ending in .cab (if your folder view is to show the full file name). They are like zip files, a bunch of stuff compressed into one file, like a load of clothes in a cabinet which gives its name I guess.

2) When you boot off the boot floppy a: and b: are reserved for the floppy (be thankful you dont have to use b: as in win95 "a" and 3.1 days....)

3) The next letters will usually be assigned to any hard disks the dos boot disk sees, and the final letter will be the cdrom drive, you need to know this otherwise you will need to check it using fdisk, which really will need someone who has done this stuff before to help you with.

Easiest way to see what disks you have would be to type c:, then if it goes there type dir and see what that shows you,
    If you go to the cdrom drive letter and do a dir, you will only see the cd rom contents and then you know you are on the right track.

However you need to be careful about installs if you are not going to just put it on c: , judging by your posts about e: thats not the case..maybe you should ask a mate thats done tech support or knows their way around a pc before you go installing to non c: partitions on purpose!

Becc wrote:
    Do I just use the boot floppy Windows 98 SE boot disk as downloaded from http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm ?

Do I have to adjust the autoexec and config files which are on this bootdisk? Or just use as is?

Nope, the standard oem floppy should be fine - if its a standard ide cdrom drive, mucking about in autoexec files thankfully hasn't really been needed for this since the win95 and earlier days (or ghost boot floppies!)

I just want to install the OS onto the C drive, so discount the bit above about the E drive. As I say I'm not really much of a techie!!

I downloaded a new copy of the bootdisk and so I did not adjust the autoexec and config files or any other files. Just used as it.

I adjusted the bios so it booted from the boot diskette with cd rom support.

Then at the C prompt I typed in dir

It then stated...

Volume in drive C is NEW MBR ENT

Volume Serial Number is 0063-0200

Directory of C:\

File not found
    2,146,467,840 bytes free

Does this look ok?

Advertisement