Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planet Waves Gripmaster X/Light Yellow

Options
  • 11-03-2007 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of buying a Planet Waves Gripmaster X.
    This device works each finger individually to build up strength.

It's about €20/25......i am not mean with money....it's just i have read some reviews on it and some people say it can damage your hand/fingers.....doing more damage than good.

Has anyone had any experience with this?......if so...what kind of results did you get.

Thanks,
    Darren.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Waste of money tbh.

Why are you thinking of getting it? What exactly do you expect to achieve from using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Build up stregnth in the fingers......

The Red one seems to have a stronger tension than the other 2...blue & yellow....
    Which colour did you buy?

the excercises are tough and takes a long time.....

Your muscles will naturally build up to whatever strength they need to do what you normally ask of them. Having finger/hand muscles stronger than what you need doesnt really accomplish anything in guitar playing.

Youd be much better off spending 10 minutes a day practicing legato or something, rather than spending ten minutes with one of these things.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I have one and they're really handy when for building strength when you're nowhere near a guitar. €20 well spent imo.

feylya wrote:
    I have one and they're really handy when for building strength when you're nowhere near a guitar. €20 well spent imo.
    Thats about the only use I can think for them tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

That's useful. That's what they're designed for.

If thats all your buying it for (keeping your hands limber while your away from a guitar), then fine, buy away.

Some people are under the illusion that these gizmos will make them play better, faster, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I think the old fashioned and unliked word called PRACTICE will achieve everything you need to play well.

The main problem with these gizmos is simple physiology. Building strength/muscle requires overtraining the muscle & tearing muscle fibres. In a couple of days the muscle fibres repair themselves, and eventually build themselves slightly stronger, but in the immediate period after the training they are weaker than before.

Anybody who has ever done any weight training will know the feeling of stiff sore muscles in the day or two after. Thats pretty useless if you want to seriously play guitar during that period, youre more likely to injure yourself. And if your muscles arent stiff or sore, then effectively youve accomplished nothing, and any strength gain is in your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Hanx for the info......i think i'll miss this one out.

I do some weight training in the local gym.....sore muscels for a few days......how could i practice like that...!
    What was i thinking!!!!!

Hanx for all the replies..
    Darren.:o :o:o:o:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You know, I might be unpopular for saying so, but, I've got one of these little fellas, and I thought it was incredibly handy.

I find it can be handy for quick warm ups before playing. Although personally, I like to do some chromatic excersizes to a metronome as my proper warm up technique, but if I'm just feeling lazy and want a jam, a minute with the Gripmaster seems to really help out a lot.

It really isn't going to do anything that proper practice and warming up isn't going to do, that's a given, but it's still a handy little toy.

Advertisement