Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red wine lips

Options
  • 12-03-2007 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if this has been posted before, probably has but i cant see it. I love to drink red wine, but I find it really hard when I go out and keep getting tannin rim stains on my lips, get very aware and keep rubbing my lips and end up ripping them to shreds. Is there anyway I can prevent this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭happy_acid_face

The only thing i can think of would to be to buy a red that is low in tannins. I imagine an Australian Shiraz will usually have less tannin than, say, a French Bordeaux.

Also, i know its not unusual in France to drink a glass of water after a glass of wine. Maybe that might help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Just be aware of it, I guess. So when you go to the bathroom, check yourself in the mirror. You can wipe your lips, certainly, but don't go overboard. If you're female, maybe you could carry around wipes with balm on them for your lips. Make sure the balm isn't scented, though, or it'll interfere with fully enjoying the wine.

Teeth are harder to deal with. You can't really brush your teeth when drinking wine, as you could obviously say goodbye to nuances of flavour and aroma if you did. Plus, wine is acidic; freshly-brushed teeth are more exposed and vulnerable to the acids. Just swish with water to minimise the worst of the staining.

Tannic wines are better suited to when you're having food anyway. So if you're just out for a couple of cheeky post-work drinks, stick to lower tannin varieties like Valpollicella, Pinot Noir or Beaujolais.

There are worse things than having wine mouth, so don't sweat it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

You could just put vasaline of some kind of lip balm on and wipe that off rather than wiping your lips all the time. Getting the wine on the balm and not your lips??? Saves your lips I suppose??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

irlmarc wrote:
    You could just put vasaline of some kind of lip balm on and wipe that off rather than wiping your lips all the time.

That's what I do when I'm drinking red. I always have a little tin of Vaseline in my bag and I put on a thin layer and top it up every once in a while and it seems to minimise the staining, although some wines are worse for it than others and seems to leave a bit of a mark no matter what you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 klara

try winenaps. it is a moist towelette that removes red wine from lips and teeth. www.winenaps.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement