Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corporate web site and Web 2.0

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been spending weeks trying to redesign a corporate website (yes, I'm an amateur with lack of creative touch), haven't got a real sketch yet.

Further, last few days I have been lurking around seeing so-called Web 2.0 websites and now thinking, why would I not go with this approach?

What do you guys think, right and wrong, etc about this approach?

At this stage, I am considering to use WordPress to manage the contents with K2 as base for theme and layout. Then modify the graphics to make it a Web 2.0 or close enuff to be called Web 2.0.

Maybe I am reading wrong wat all this Web 2.0 about. But I'm just hoping to finish this site, simple, functional and nice looking enuff. Have been dragging long enuff.

Share some of your thoughts and suggestions. Many thanks.

Mart.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Web 2.0 is a term which is thrown about a lot and its meaning depends a lot on what you think it means. It's social, expandable, seemless...blah blah blah...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Hmmm,

Not very often you hear "Corporate web site" and "Web 2.0" in the same sentence.

Web 2.0, in my opinion, is more geared towards social websites, interactive sites, where you engage user input. That said, there are no hard set rules about web design, it could be that the main focus of your corporate website, or your corporate identity, is to engage your customer base. What better way to do this than a series of podcasts and blogs and video profiles etc. Makes sense.

Firstly, dont buy into the concept that having a Web 2.0 site makes your site suddenly cool, you'll be found out sharp enough, and will start to feel like your ould fella doing his "disco" moves at the family reunion - yes, yes, not pretty. Make sure that you are doing it for the right reasons, if your corporate strategy is all about inclusion and reaching out, and all that airy-fairy marketing faff, then by all means, take it to the 2.0 (<-- SOOOO cant use this term, its mine.. (c) smcelhinney )

Let me know what you decide, I'd be VERY interested in seeing how Web 2.0 can improve a corporate website.

HTH,
    Stephen

Advertisement