Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TNA Sucks

• 12-03-2007 2:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Like what happened to it? Last year everything was going great for tna they had got sting and christian and the E looked under pressure, but now its resulted in crap, The last time i watched two washed up has beens were shooting on two legendary wrestlers, after that I turned it off and have yet to watch since, they have forgotten what made them so great, the wrestling, I loved my saturday nights watching petey williams vs chris daniels but now we have scott steiner making his comeback,

Why I think tna blows is

1. They allowed the douchebag russo back in. I could write better storylines, look what he did to wcw

2. focusing on wwe style of wrestling instead of good wrestling

Well my conclusion tna messed up big time, they could have eclipsed wwe but now id rather watch this new ecw, but ah well we always have ring of honor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The short, simple and clear answer is that Vince Russo happened to TNA. He is not a wrestling fan, he is a B-movie fan, as Jim Cornette once said, and that looks to be the truth the more that time passes, as the wrestling part of TNA has gotten so bad that I find it hard to watch anymore

The thing that infuriates me the most is that TNA has two of the best creative minds in wrestling under contract already. Jim Cornette and Raven are both geniuses when it comes to wrestling. They know what works, what doesn't, and they're both big fans of logic. Russo clearly isn't. I could go on and on, but it doesn't look like it's going to change unless Jarrett has a falling out with Russo or Russo himself cops onto his stupidity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Russo seems to have the attention span of a 5 year old with ADD.

If you put Russo in ROH he'd end up doing the exact same thing and would probably have Nigel McGuinness become a pimp or something.

TNA have only themselves to blame. Everyone knew what Russo had done to WCW and yet they gave him another chance. What a mistake that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Thats the point. The people who hired him need to take responsibility too as pretty much everyone knew what they were gonna get with with Russo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

I think Russo secretly works for WWE and gets into other companies down. :D
    Last weeks TNA was very strange indeed, what was it, 6 man tag week? Also i'm sick of the 3D/LAX feud. All these strange matches with ridiculous stories. The X-division is pretty much dead which proves how much Russo hates wrestlers who aren't great on the mic but can still fully entertain fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Double C

Apart from the horrible booking, the reason TNA sucks is the roster is far too big and they try to fit too much into their shows. Even if they had two hours there would still be too much talent. TNA's focus should be on the wrestling rather than the storys, that why they were doing so well until Russo stuck his claws in. Just looking at the roster now I would make the following cuts:

The Naturals - they had a decent push a while ago and did nothing with it and have been split since. Maybe keep them as jobbers, but no pushes.
    VKM and the Dudleys - they are both old WWE rejects and aren't entertaining anymore.
    Eric Young and Robert Roode - they are wasting time with their stupid promos. Roode is decent in the ring but if they continue pushing him as they are they are mad. Again maybe keep them as jobbers. Everyone needs jobbers.
    Lance Hoyt and Scott Steiner - cos they suck.
    Ron Killings - Contraversial. He has talent but I don't like him and don't want to see him every week. Maybe hold onto him as a mid card talent.
    Bob Backlund - He does have the novelty factor but that wore of weeks ago.

This would leave the tag scene short but they shoulds reunite AMW, no one wants to see their singles feud. Serotonin should get a push here too. Kazarian and Shane are a decent team as they proved years ago. Devine could hang around as part of the group and as another jobber. Now they have a decent gimmick and a great leader in Raven. Lethal and Dutt can team up, as could Petey and maybe Shelley.
    The X Division would be strong with AJ, Daniels, Sabin, Aries, Ki, Lethal, Dutt, Shelley, Petey etc.
    The main event picture would have Joe, Christian, Angle, Sting (he came close to being cut), Rhyno and Abyss. Then AJ and the likes could step up from the X Division. I reckon RVD will be there soon too, and an outside chance of Jericho, but don't hold your breath. Jarrett's got to return soon too.
    If this roster got 2 hours, which is 85 or so minutes excluding ads, with about 50 minutes taken up by actual matches, I'd watch every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Double C wrote:
    TNA's focus should be on the wrestling rather than the storys, QUOTE]

They do need more wrestling but theres nothing wrong with stories as long as they make sense, are interesting and ultimately make people want to pay to watch 2 people fight which should be the point of their tv show.

The problem is not that TNA has stories (although not every match on the card needs one let alone a gimmick). The problem is that they have bad ones. They are incapable of going from A to B to C.

Look at how Wrestlemania is being booked, the build up between Shawn and Cena has been so great and so simple. No one has had to be shot. No one has has had to climb a poll. Its all been so simple and its gaining momentum week by week.

McMahon versus Trump again so simple. One guy will get his head shaved and we'll have to pay to see who it is. Its simple, its interesting and it works.

TNA have a great roster thats getting hindered by stupid gimmick matches and silly stories. Another one I couldn't figure out, Rhyno on Thursday ran across the scaffold no bother to him. On Sunday he's terrified. Wheres the logic? and its a million things like that, that kills the show.

Look at the build up for the last ppv. They had Samoa Joe get pinned by Tyson Tomko a week before the pay per view. So stupid. I can't see Vince telling 'Taker to do a job for the Gene Snitski next week can you? And theres a reason for that. It would be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Double C wrote:
    Apart from the horrible booking, the reason TNA sucks is the roster is far too big and they try to fit too much into their shows. Even if they had two hours there would still be too much talent. TNA's focus should be on the wrestling rather than the storys, that why they were doing so well until Russo stuck his claws in.

I agree with you. I think there should be a rotation system where some guys are featured one week and others the next. This is often the case on Smackdown. Notice how that show has been very strong lately even though Chris Benoit, one of their greatest wrestlers, hasn't been on it.
    Double C wrote:
    Just looking at the roster now I would make the following cuts:

The Naturals - they had a decent push a while ago and did nothing with it and have been split since. Maybe keep them as jobbers, but no pushes.
    VKM and the Dudleys - they are both old WWE rejects and aren't entertaining anymore.
    Eric Young and Robert Roode - they are wasting time with their stupid promos. Roode is decent in the ring but if they continue pushing him as they are they are mad. Again maybe keep them as jobbers. Everyone needs jobbers.
    Lance Hoyt and Scott Steiner - cos they suck.
    Ron Killings - Contraversial. He has talent but I don't like him and don't want to see him every week. Maybe hold onto him as a mid card talent.
    Bob Backlund - He does have the novelty factor but that wore of weeks ago.

Were the Naturals not released? I thought I read they were. If not then I agree they should be released. I agree with releasing all those names actually with the exception of Steiner and Backlund as even though they're limited I think they still have name value.
    Double C wrote:
    This would leave the tag scene short but they shoulds reunite AMW, no one wants to see their singles feud. Serotonin should get a push here too. Kazarian and Shane are a decent team as they proved years ago. Devine could hang around as part of the group and as another jobber. Now they have a decent gimmick and a great leader in Raven. Lethal and Dutt can team up, as could Petey and maybe Shelley.
    The X Division would be strong with AJ, Daniels, Sabin, Aries, Ki, Lethal, Dutt, Shelley, Petey etc.

I wouldn't like the idea of Petey and Shelley teaming up. I think those two guys should be regarded as the future of the X Division and should be given big pushes. I think Serotonin are a waste of time myself. I'd like to see Raven pulled out of there and his character freshened up. Maybe turn him corporate or something and have him in some commissioner role. The guy's solid on the mic.
    Double C wrote:
    The main event picture would have Joe, Christian, Angle, Sting (he came close to being cut), Rhyno and Abyss. Then AJ and the likes could step up from the X Division. I reckon RVD will be there soon too, and an outside chance of Jericho, but don't hold your breath. Jarrett's got to return soon too.
    If this roster got 2 hours, which is 85 or so minutes excluding ads, with about 50 minutes taken up by actual matches, I'd watch every week.

You would consider cutting Sting? Seriously? I think he's a major asset to TNA. He reminds me of Taker at the minute the way he's managed to get himself in shape. I agree with all those names being in the main event except for Rhino. I admire the guy a lot but don't see any value in putting him in the main event frame. I think he should help get guys over.

Long term I think Joe needs the strap and to be the face of the company. After Wrestlemania/Backlash there tends to be a lull in wrestling so I think at this point TNA should make Joe their heavyweight champion.

The Naturals are still on the roster page at least. Chase Stevens was jobbed out to Steiner recently.
    I just suggested Petey and Shelley team up to have another team in the tag scene, and I was looking at Petey as a tag guy and Shelley maybe to partner him. Hypothetical stuff. (Slight Destination X spoiler)
    If I did this yesterday I would have kept Steiner, but seeing his match with Angle changed my mind completely
    I liked the idea of Serotonin when I heard of it first. Raven as the leader of a cult has been done to death, but I like his new image. Then again, your idea of him as a corporate type would be great too. There was a rumour of So Cal Val being their valet which would be cool, we need more Val! Shazarian were decent years ago, and again they need another team.
    I know Sting has the star power but tbh I havent enjoyed many of his matches and his segments all seem to be ****ty (writers fault I know). Comparing him to the Taker is a bit much I think, Taker has been putting on great matches over the last few years and I don't think Sting is in his league. That does sound a bit harsh but I think it's true. I did keep him, mainly for the star power.
    Rhyno was looking really strong back when he was feuding with Christian but I think the AJ feud has deflated him slightly. I'm sure he was happy to put over Christian and AJ but after a while he's gonna want to win and if pushed right he could hit main event status.
    I agree with your last point, WWE will drop a bit after Maina so thats perfect time for change in TNA and people will really get behind Joe as champ.

Vince, I didnt see your post yesterday but I agree with what you say above completely. The funny thing is, and hopefully TNA will notice this and cop on, the best match at Destination X was the main event because the build up was so simple. Joe has been bulldozing through TNA for two years, only losing to Angle, the company's biggest star, and due to interferance to Tomko, the champions henchman. Christian was in fear of his championship and "legacy" going into the match and tried to get as many people on his side as he could (Steiner, Tomko, Abyss, even the Great Muta).
    Destination X
    Going into the match, from an innocent fans pov(not us incredibly smart marks :p), no one would have expected Christian to win after Tomko no showed, and Abyss and Steiner both were beaten. Throughout the match, Joe was the agressor and he threw everything he had at the champ (even the underused Island Driver, great move!) but still Christian managed to sneak the victory, setting up a very simple, but intreguing story for the next few months. Why they can't do this more often is beyond me.

Advertisement