Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive just realised

Options
  • 12-03-2007 2:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭

Im an idiot and should have taken school more serious, last year now with 3 months left im aiming for arts like well done people who get or got in but it shouldnt be your aspiration, but anyway whats the lowest possible points I could get into arts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

usually around 375, you should consider science too the points for it are pretty low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

well i can forget about arts then, so now il have to think of student loan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

You could try studying like a mofo for the remaining 3 months. Just a suggestion like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

And why exactly shouldn't studying arts be someone's aspiration......???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

You can spend a lot less than three months studying for the leving cert and get more than 375 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

DaveMcG wrote:
    And why exactly shouldn't studying arts be someone's aspiration......???
    :D I was waiting for someone to ask that.

Anyway, if worst comes to worst you can always repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

well i can forget about arts then, so now il have to think of student loan

Why would you have to think of a student loan if you can't get the points for arts?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

You may surprise yourself. A small amount of study can go a long way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

Im an idiot and should have taken school more serious, last year now with 3 months left im aiming for arts like well done people who get or got in but it shouldnt be your aspiration, but anyway whats the lowest possible points I could get into arts

Don't bother. Just get your job in McDonalds now. You'll be a manager in by the same time it takes you to get a degree that you got nothing out of. Don't waste your time.

There's nothing wrong with aspiring to do Arts. Stop listening to your friends parents. I think you should apologise for that statement to be honest, who the **** are you to tell people what they should or shouldn't aspire to?

People like you shouldn't aspire to do Arts, you're the reason it has the bad name that it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Just get your job in McDonalds now. You'll be a manager in by the same time it takes you to get a degree that you got nothing out of

Do you want a career with that? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭Blut

I did no work at all in 5th or 6th year, crammed for 3 weeks at the end of 6th year in the break before the LC and got well over 375. Its not a particularly hard exam, a month of 5 hours a day of proper study should get you 375 no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Did all my study in the last three months for leaving. Just focus on doing as many past papers as u can and you should be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

itl drop in points again this year, there's something like 4000 less CAO applicants this year compared to last

Garret wrote:
    itl drop in points again this year, there's something like 4000 less CAO applicants this year compared to last

And how many less for Arts in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

You have plenty of time, it's not even May yet..:confused::confused:

I'm a lazy student, and the course I was interested in has extraordinarily low points so I was never all that worried about the LC but I started studying in the first and second weeks of May and got 475, 175 more than I needed.. (yay Comp Sci - Arts).:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

And they who go on about it being the hardest exam of your life... college is a lot worse. I knew what I needed by about Christmas-the princely sum of 330 and I did nothing until the last month and still ended up with well well over that!

Myth wrote:
    And how many less for Arts in UCD?

i dunno, but an overall decrease in around in the 7% (IIRC) is sizeable enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Im an idiot....arts...shouldnt be your aspiration...
    ...whats the lowest possible points I could get into arts

Quote filtered for added enjoyment

Why shouldn't people aspire to arts? If the course - undomininated arts - was limited to as many places as say... law, then the points would be equal or higher, as proved by the denominated arts choices which range from 440 to over 500pts. My own CAO had liberal arts BA/MA first, denominated psychology second and undenominated third. These were my preferences and this is what I aspired to, I would have been (proportionately) happy with any of them but I was delighted when I got my first choice and love the course.

I'd nearly repeat the leaving cert than do science if you're only looking at it from a low points perspective. You've a lot of people who missed Arts and then do Science as it's the next "respectable" course in UCD, and then flunk it out in their first year as they can't handle the coursework.

Computer Science w/Arts is lower points than normal arts. Its an extra year on your BA but if you have an interest in computing it might be worth a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

jimi_t wrote:
    Computer Science w/Arts is lower points than normal arts. Its an extra year on your BA but if you have an interest in computing it might be worth a shout
    As long as you have a reasonable grasp at maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Hey sorry about the comment about not want to aspire to arts, I didnt mean it like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭gerry87

Arts isn't just 'arts', if you want to do psychology or economics you have to do Arts, they're B.A's. What subjects do you want to do? Where do you want to end up? If you got 600 points would you go for medicine because it's prestigious?

The points are just a supply and demand thing, there are more places for arts, so points are lower. Some sciences have really low points, but that doesn't mean they're pisstake subjects.

Personally i don't think i would like law or commerce, not my sort of subjects. I had them down higher on the CAO because i didnt know anything about them. I'm doing economics and i can't think of any subject i'd prefer to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I agree with your initial post OP. And why the hell should people do something they love, rather than doing something they hated but someone else thought more of, to lead on to a job they despise for the rest of their lives. That would be plain silly. You continue on the path you're on. Try a dash of racism and homophobia too. They'll make you a more well-rounded person.

Much love, Blush.xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

OP, I didn't take the whole Leaving Cert malarkey seriously until about 2 weeks before it, I crammed and I got Arts after thinking I'd end up with 300 points. If you're going for Arts aim for 370 and aim for say something like (if you're doing Higher level!) 4 x C3 grades of 60 points and 2 x C2 grades of 65 points which = 370 points = very achievable!! :) Make sure you actually want to do Arts because if you hate it and have no interest you'll be likely to join the drop out club
    Garret wrote:

Ye serious? I know for a fact there's about 2,000 more students sitting the LC this year..... maybe they're seeing the light and going for PLC courses instead of the CAO route.

Ye serious? I know for a fact there's about 2,000 more students sitting the LC this year..... maybe they're seeing the light and going for PLC courses instead of the CAO route.

thats just what i read in the indo a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Garret wrote:
    thats just what i read in the indo a while back
    Sure you didn't read it about last year? Because I sat my leaving cert last year and we had a lot less students than normal sitting it.

Sure you didn't read it about last year? Because I sat my leaving cert last year and we had a lot less students than normal sitting it.
    yeah but the article was saying how they were gonna see yet another drop this year

then again it was the indo...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭GusherING

Birth rates fell during the 1980's and reached their lowest in 1990. So until 2009, the number of students sitting their leaving cert will continue to fall, then they'll begin to rise as the birth rate has risen since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

There's nothing wrong with aspiring to do Arts.

cmon lets be honest mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

fatal wrote:
    cmon lets be honest mate ;)

Yeah, ok, I suppose. Just because you said it like that!

There's nothing wrong with aspiring to do arts.

• Advertisement

Garret wrote:
    i dunno, but an overall decrease in around in the 7% (IIRC) is sizeable enough

Yeah, unless the demand for Arts in UCD is the same! I'm sure if you do a little study you'll be grand.

Advertisement