Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ive just realised

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

The total number of applicants has increased by 2000. The number of applicants for Arts courses has decreased though. Only by a tiny bit though(33 less first preferences).

2006 Applications

2007 Applications

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

jimi_t wrote:
    Computer Science w/Arts is lower points than normal arts. Its an extra year on your BA but if you have an interest in computing it might be worth a shout
    Its also considered to be a really good degree with good job prospects!

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

fatal wrote:
    cmon lets be honest mate ;)
    You missed the hidden premise:

(Unless you're something of a churl) there's nothing wrong with (the idea of) aspiring to [study the] arts, (so long as that is within your area of interest).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I think there's a point being missed here.

Do you actually want to do arts? You shouldn't be aspiring to do ANY course unless its a course you're genuinely interested in. I thought I'd give engineering a go, didn't like it and moved (thanks to a pilot scheme that is now no longer available) after 6 weeks to science, for which the entrance points at the time (280) were a fair ould whack lower than what I got.

Points don't have any real correlation with course difficulty or graduate employment prospects. It's simply a measure of demand. Do what you really want to do... repeat if neccessary. It mightn't be the easiest way to get into college, but noone said it's gonna be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

By his own admission the OP is an idiot. I think that covers everything. Maybe he could just pretend to look for a job and go on the dole. Sounds like a career that involves very little actual work to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

The dole is not an option for me, im trying now but i dont think i have enough time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The dole is not an option for me, im trying now but i dont think i have enough time

How about you spend less time on the net and more time studying?

Best post ever!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

jimi_t wrote:
    How about you spend less time on the net and more time studying?

Don't be an ass. Unless you know something about this I don't he's been online very little and you've no idea how much he's been studying.

here thanks but its alright like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

You missed the hidden premise:

(Unless you're something of a churl) there's nothing wrong with (the idea of) aspiring to [study the] arts, (so long as that is within your area of interest).

C'mon man.......we are trying to guide this guy so that he can hopefully get into UCD and get a REAL degree;)
    Im a "churl" cos lemme guess,you do arts:D ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Spectator#1

fatal wrote:
    C'mon man.......we are trying to guide this guy so that he can hopefully get into UCD and get a REAL degree;)

By making jokes like that you're scoring a spectacular own goal. That 'Arts is pointless' joke is so tired, trite and received that it's just plain boring. Nobody laughs at it now except for musty smelling fifty-year old graduates from the university of life.

So, you were being a) an unfunny cock, or b) wrong.

I picked Arts in my CAO because I was interested and also because I didn't want to close my options in terms of the careers that I was thinking about . It's definitely the best course I could have done, I got an awful lot out of it and I have no regrets about doing it. It's the kind of education that sets you up to continue learning for the rest of your life, whether you continue studying or not.

This guy needs to work hard now and do the best he can - which he definitely can do with 3 months. Nobody I know worked that hard until the last two months or so, I didn't do anything till the last two weeks.

Then he needs to take a year out and think about what he actually wants to do if he goes to college, then he should apply. Worst comes to the worst, if there's a course he really wants (which looks unlikely from the OP), he'll repeat and get it hopefully second time around. Big deal.

Lots of people like the OP decide Arts is the best they can get next to repeating the leaving and get nothing out of it; bitch about it, drop out, fail, whatever - those people don't actually want to study arts, they just don't want to not go to college or work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Surprisingly it the Arts students who have the time to write the longest posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Suprisingly it's the arts students who write the most well thought out posts.

You're right, that is surprising!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

heh, its amusing how some of the arts students don't seem to be able to take a bit of slagging.

Anyway on topic, what are you basing all of this on OP? If its your mock, you should bear in mind that a huge amount of people fail their mock and still do fairly well in their leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

fatal wrote:
    I don't 'do' Arts. I study the arts.

A 'real degree' is a qualification in a proper University subject, like the arts or proper sciences.

A university is a centre of learning, and of the arts and sciences.

Degrees, real ones, were intended to be qualifications to signify progress within the academy. They had significance to employers for the sole reason that they were a good indicator of ability.

Degrees intended only to further employment prospects outside the academy - they are the symptom of business-oriented higher-learning, and have no legitimate claim to academic credibility.

Generally speaking, the more practical and career-oriented the subject, the less suitable it is for a University environment, and hence, the less suitable to it is the term 'REAL degree'.

If you're coming here to get a job, you are, in effect, passing through. Your degree isn't 'real' in any true sense. It's just a credit note.

You're not doing a 'real' degree, are you?

PS. I never said you were a churl. Where did you get the idea that I thought you were? Sensitive in that area much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sangre wrote:
    You want some ketchup for that chip on your shoulder?
    That's the best you can hit him with?

Congratulations Sangre. Truly, you are this generation's Hemingway.

you bastard, l deleted it because it was so lame. So tempted to deleted your post.

Sangre wrote:
    Surprisingly it the Arts students who have the time to write the longest posts.

Is that on topic, moderator? Sounds a bit like trolling to me!

And I don't think that it's surprising at all. You see, we're taught to use our brains for more than adding numbers and sneering at people. The main reason I replied though is because I can't stand this Des Bishop school of comedy where we repeat truisms and roll our eyes at the gravity of ****, second-hand, second-rate wisdom - Fatal, I'm looking at you here, zero points for originality.

• Advertisement

That's the best you can hit him with?

Congratulations Sangre. Truly, you are this generation's Hemingway.

Sangre, you want some salt for that egg on your face?

EDIT: I did laugh at your 'chip' joke though.

Blowfish wrote:
    heh, its amusing how some of the arts students don't seem to be able to take a bit of slagging.

Slag away, I'm always up for a slagging match. Just don't embarrass yourself with grandad jokes is all I'm saying...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Slag away, I'm always up for a slagging match. Just don't embarrass yourself with grandad jokes is all I'm saying...
    You have to admit though that some of the responses have portrayed some people as a bit...touchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Blowfish wrote:
    You have to admit though that some of the responses have portrayed some people as a bit...touchy.
    Touchy? Touchy?! I'll KILL YOU!!!!!:mad:

I mean... What are you talkin' bout dude, we're all cool cats here in Arts man, chillin' is our religion know what I'm sayin...

Blowfish wrote:

And all of them have been very touché!

I think there's been a clear victory in this short battle of wits between the Arts faculties and elsewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Blowfish wrote:

It's indicative of the kind of Arts student they are.

Frankly, after 4 years, the toilet roll with "Arts Degree, please take one" and constant slagging (note, constant) do get a bit wearing and as a result you get a bit frazzled by it all. It's understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Ya and they so can't take "Whats an arts students latest inventions?*" jokes. Disgusting

*my answer is: A lead life jacket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Blush_01 wrote:
    It's indicative of the kind of Arts student they are.

Every course gets slagging believe me,but art students in general do get a bit more touchy about it . The ags and vets have to endure constant bogger,sheep sh*agging insults;b+l have to endure d4,tanorexic,ross O carroll kelly type slagging. Personally Im sick of people saying 'oooh how many points did u get'. We all get judged on what course we do but you have to learn to just roll with the punches and not get upset by the slagging. Such is lfe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I really doubt anyone's getting upset by it. It is merely tiresome to see the same tired cliches trotted out again and again by people intelligent enough to know better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

Blowfish wrote:

:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Seems like everyone from arts is still is the dark in the Newman building about their choice of "degree", whether its a REAL qualification(or not!);)

Advertisement