Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Supply for Gas Hob Ignition

Options
  • 12-03-2007 2:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

My kitchen's looking lovely, first fix electrics & plumbing done, walls all re-skimmed and smooth as glass. The lads are coming tomorrow to fit the units.

I'm putting in a gas hob & electric oven and the big thick wire for the oven is in place. It never occurred to me that the gas hob would require an electric supply but I saw the wire hanging out of it today as I was assembling the various appliances in advance of fitting. Am I scuppered? Can both be handled from the big thick wire?

Excuse the ignorance but I don't know much about electrics...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I wouldn't think running the Hob of the cooker cable would be a safe option. The hob only needs a 13amp socket, which it's plugged into. Surely theres a socket for a dishwasher or fridge etc nearby that is going to be behind the kitchen units/under them. If so you could run an extension from it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You can use the oven cable. You can 'spur' off this cable with a fused-spur. You'll need an electrician, it's not something I'd recommend a non-professional to do. :)

The cable from the hob is used to power the ignitor switch. Note that the ignitor won't work though unless the oven is switched on at the cooker switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

You could just run the cable down to a socket behind your units. My gas hob is fused for 3 amps.

Advertisement