Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ford Mondeo- Good car/bad car

Options
  • 12-03-2007 3:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Lookin at Ford Mondeo's around 1998, 1999,2000. Is there any issues with this model i.e do they have a good rep for reliabilty etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

www.parkers.co.uk and www.honestjohn.co.uk have all the info. you need.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Lookin at Ford Mondeo's around 1998, 1999,2000. Is there any issues with this model i.e do they have a good rep for reliabilty etc.

The Cops had them for long enough, they must be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

you never said what engine type you were interested in.

2.5 V6 has water pump problems -easy to fix.
    all models in these years suffered with rear anti roll bushes & links again easy fix for novice mechanic..
    most models also suffered with rear light clusters leaking(boot will be wet)& pollon filter housing seal leaking.new seal is less than €5.rear lights can be sealed up with sealant.
    I've had a 2.0 zetec-E engine(1998) for about 5 years (113000miles)now with not 1 breakdown or major problem just wear & tear stuff.;)
    Not sure about 1.8 TD version from this year,i had a 1994 1.8TD for 2 years with no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

My mate had one, an '03, I think. It was back at the garage 41 times for different things, but his might've been the exception.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

one thing to definitely look out for with that generation Mondeo is the condition of the bumpers, particularly the rear one. They seem to be made of tracing paper, nearly every one I see on the roads has cracked/shabby looking bumpers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Brilliant Car Well the new current is anyway. Probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Skyuser wrote:
    Brilliant Car Well the new current is anyway. Probably the same.
    What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

JoeA3 wrote:
    one thing to definitely look out for with that generation Mondeo is the condition of the bumpers, particularly the rear one. They seem to be made of tracing paper, nearly every one I see on the roads has cracked/shabby looking bumpers.

We have had a 1995 1.8TD from new.

The bumpers are a DISASTER. It needs its third rear bumper. They shatter on the slightest thing.

Other than that the car has given 180k miles of more or less faultless service. Only unscheduled repairs was a radiator at 20k miles, a waterpump at about 140k-ish. The mondeos eat anti-roll bar brushes, but they are an easy fix.

The 1.8TD engine was pretty Ok in its day, but in comparison to the modern diesels is as dead as dodo. But it starts, and has never in 12 years refused to. It doesn't burn any oil either.

They are a fantastically well built car, but tend to age quite badly due to being very easy to dent, and having the aforementioned paper bumpers. That and the fact most people don't look after a 10yr old ford like they do a merc or BMW.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Dont want to put a damper on it, but I had a diesel ford mondeo once, cant remember if it was 1.8 or 1.9, but it let me down big time - in the end it got an engine replacement which seems to have solved the problem at the time (it wasn't starting when I wanted it to).

Its too far back to remember exactly, but they couldn't figure it out, and just replaced the engine instead.............

I think it was a 98/99 model. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

ive currently got a 2001 Mondeo zetec, never had a prob cept when a mechanic broke the fuel filter during service.

Its got good MPG and very comfortable. It does have some small issues, like mentioned before slight leaking in rear light clusters, and sometimes some paint corrosion on bottom inside edge of the doors.

After a small tip, some paint flaked off my bumper but got it fixed pretty cheap so all in all, i still think its a great motor.

• Advertisement
Advertisement