Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Battery Life Mobile Phone

• 12-03-2007 4:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I've come to the end of the line with my crappy Sharp phone i'm sick of it going dead when i need it most. So my question is what is the mobile phone with the best battery life out there at the moment I don't need camera's mp3 etc. just make and recieve calls.

So please any suggestions for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

This thing has like a 5 year standby... sim free though..

phone.jpg

Just kidding.. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

hahahaha

mate my sugession get ur self a K800i and u will not regret !

o2 are doing nice deal with double minutes and the phone is only for 69 euros

I wouldnt hesitate recomending that at all !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

hahahaha

mate my sugession get ur self a K800i and u will not regret !

o2 are doing nice deal with double minutes and the phone is only for 69 euros

I wouldnt hesitate recomending that at all !

I have a K800i and while the phone is great, battery life is one of its least redeeming features (mainly because of the hi res screen and 3G). Sony Ericsson W850i on the other hand is also an excellent heavily feature laden phone (2G only though) and has excellent battery longevity. Music features are execllent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Bring back the N6310 best battery ever. Gotta back the k800 as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭wba88

i have a k800i and its battery life is excellent, just turn down the screen light and turn off bluetooth and 3g and its the best phone i have ever had (i have had lots of phones). also not that you will need one but car chargers are very handy aswell if u drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭event

slegs wrote:
    I have a K800i and while the phone is great, battery life is one of its least redeeming features (mainly because of the hi res screen and 3G). Sony Ericsson W850i on the other hand is also an excellent heavily feature laden phone (2G only though) and has excellent battery longevity. Music features are execllent.

turn off the 3g and its fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Before I converted to SE, I had a couple of Sagem phones. Cheap and cheerful, but did what it was asked to do. If I turned it off at night, I got 2 weeks battery life, left on all the time about 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

If your phone has a Li-ion battery - and most of them do - then to get the best life from them, charge them often. Don't ever completely discharge them (like using them you phone for 7 days before charging). Plug them in whenever you get a chance. Your batteries will last several times longer!

This only applies to Li-ion batteries (the newer types), not the NiMh or NiCd older heavier ones. For them, the opposite is true - they love to be completely discharged before recharging)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

^^^^REALLY!!!???? I ahve always been leaving my phone to run out of power!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

give me a shout if you want a 6310i. great battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

slegs wrote:

You need to have your phone checked mate

My K800i Battery lasts for 4 days
    and yes i listen to radio while going to work
    have bluetooth on all time
    and take pictures when ever i want and play games on it

turn 3g off and it should improve if it dosent have the battery checked by SE
    Also over charging can damage the battery so you neet to complete the battery cycle for optimal performance and that is.
    Fully discharge before charge !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Also over charging can damage the battery so you neet to complete the battery cycle for optimal performance and that is.
    Fully discharge before charge !

Your wrong there I think well read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery
    wikipedia wrote:

Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a longer time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%. Lithium-ion batteries should never be "deep-cycled" like Ni-Cd batteries.[5]

!

New phone batteries are the same as laptops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Cantab.

plonk wrote:
    Your wrong there I think well read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_battery

New phone batteries are the same as laptops

I concur. There is a lot of mis-information out there. Plus that wikipedia link is very good! (It just so happens I'm designing a Li-ion charging/monitoring circuit at the mo).

Li-ion batteries in consumer products are usually monitored and controlled by a dedicated chip. The chip is advanced (i.e. it is cleverer than 99.9% of consumers) and would take into account the temperature and current voltage being produced by the battery. If the cell voltage drops too low (2.7 - 3.0 volts), the device will switch itself off automatically for charging to take place.

The charging and monitoring of the battery has to be controlled accurately - li-ion batteries are dangerous if used incorrectly, plus if you discharge them too much, they'll be permanently damaged and never perform to the same level again.

Anyways, just plug the phone in and forget about it. It's beyond your control. If your phone won't last a full day anymore, it sounds to me that your battery has reached the end of its life (about 3 years or 1000 charge cycles – although some batteries have better performance). Usually any gains in short-term battery life (e.g. a phone that only needs charging every 3-4 days) would be cancelled out by a corresponding shortening of the battery's lifetime (perhaps 1 year). So really it's a trade-off for the battery designers. But with the average age of consumer products now in months rather than years, it's becoming more and more acceptable for a mobile phone battery to go belly up after 2 or 3 years! It may even be part of the business model because it forces the consumer to upgrade to the latest model!

Advertisement