Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non Sensical / abused phrases!

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

"in my honest opinion"..which it usually isn't

"I can only speak for myself".. but include everyone else

"this will enhance performance"... EITHER A) work: we are introducing extra work whihc you aint being paid for. or B) Play: we are charging hundreds of euro for something to improve your sex life, which wont and you will be too emabarrased to complain about because everyone will think you are a crap screw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 pajos55

daveym wrote:
    I know what you mean, This one time...

the moronic interrogative i believe they call it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

pajos55 wrote:

You wha??? :D

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

pajos55 wrote:

i resemble that remark..

but i think you find very few people will call it that, using made
    up sayings to describe annoying figures of speech is, well, annoying!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,602 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

InFront wrote:
    Yup, this one ranks alongside "I get what you're trying to say...". Drives me crazy!

Another in a similar vein that someone just used on me in another thread is

"it is a good idea, in theory.."

grrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

"So he turns around and he's like, "what have you been saying about me" and all that, so I just kinda looks at him, and I'm like "what?", ya know that way? So he's all "don't deny it" and I'm just looking at at him, like, 'what the bleeding hell are ya on about' kinda thing. So I turns around and I says "what the bleeding hell are you on about?. I mean, I don't have to stand for that ****e, do ya know what I mean like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭megadodge

I should of hit him when I had the chance. Incorrect.

Have a heart. Correct.
    That was a hollow victory. Correct.
    Half an hour. Correct.
    On what was an historic occasion. Incorrect. Why ? Because the 'h' is not silent (unless you're Delboy). Yet more and more people (including newspapers) insist on using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

ledge, sesh , lash (''shes a total lash loike''), happy days(oh happy days then!), basically, ASAP, sticking ''arooney'' at the end of every word ( ''fancy a few drinkarooneys'') putting ''but am....'' into conversation for NOOO reason whatsover. D4's use the whole time ( ''Bouud eaaam'' )enfuriating.

this ''yay...GO ME!!!'' Sh!t really annoys me most of all at the moment:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

"sambo" has come to mind. sandwich or roll!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

" No offence, but.."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

1. Absolutely.

2. Very unique.

3. Oh my God.

4. Like...

5. You know what I mean ? [No ! If I did I wouldn't have asked you the f**king question in the first place].

6. I'm sorry to interrupt you.. [not sorry at all]

7. Window of opportunity [This one really pi**es me off].

They are trying to revive that bloody Irish language again (I think it is called Garlic). They should try reviving the use of English first especially in RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

They are trying to revive that bloody Irish language again (I think it is called Garlic). They should try reviving the use of English first especially in RTE.

Post of the week. I salute you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

"yeah, no" at the start answers as in

ever been to new york?

yeah, no..I was there a few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

boreds wrote:
    When people tell me to relax, chill, take a chill pill, chillax, it always sends me into a violent rage.

Why do you have a violent rage, maybe you should calm down.

"Sour Grapes" should only be used in situations where, having lost a game, the players, then state that they didn't want to win in the first place and are better off without it.

(RTE sports commentators/presenters/pannelists take note ;))

or in the case of actual grapes that have gone sour...

Lil Kitten wrote:
    No one has mentioned "legend" yet!

The worst is "Omfg, you are like such a fukn ledge man!

A ledge??? A window ledge??

post of the day, lol! 'ledge' is stupid tho.

Legend is a great word tho kitten, ya little legend! :D

Anyhow I could probably write for an hour on this subject, but I'd rather not, here are a few...

Irregardless: What is this words purpose when the word 'Regardless' works just great??

Thanks anyway: A lot of people use this one, stop, think what it means, it means 'Thanks for nothing' 'Thanks, you were no f**cking help'.

Winningest: Mike Sexton of the World Poker Tour uses this a lot, it sounds demented.

This is going to be a changing day in your life: (Dr Phil Quote)...
    .... sounds demented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

illuminous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Jayzis wha?"

The ultimate rhetorical question. Used mainly by the older Dublin generation so unfortunately it's dying out :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

humbert wrote:
    "sambo" has come to mind. sandwich or roll!

it used to be considered a racist slur so shhhhh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

I agree 110%

Advertisement