Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si stopped working. Repair or replace?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Furze

Replacing my brothers Triton 90.
    What is the correct connection to the inlet ? Old one has a short piece of copper pushed directly into inlet and then onto a elbow compression joint. This elbow compression joint is slightly too small to slide over the inlet although the nut says 15mm.
    Is a plastic elbow ok to use ? and please what is the correct size ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭harly1516

Lads could I just say be very careful these showers are not really a diy job no matter how simple they look if something goes wrong its your life your messing with, water conducts electricity so it could be like wraping a roll of wire round you and also the warranty states it must be fitted and serviced by a qualified electrician and plumber " be Careful" :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Hi have a T90si in my house which we moved into around 14months ago
    It doesn't get overused as there is only two of us in the house but lately
    it has started to go from hot to cold then you can hear what sounds like the
    motor change noise and then it starts letting out nice hot water again.

We are in a hard water area would that make a difference??

Any ideas what the problem can be as it's no fun getting

cold water when you have soap in your eyes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Hi have a T90si in my house which we moved into around 14months ago
    It doesn't get overused as there is only two of us in the house but lately
    it has started to go from hot to cold then you can hear what sounds like the
    motor change noise and then it starts letting out nice hot water again.

We are in a hard water area would that make a difference??

Any ideas what the problem can be as it's no fun getting

cold water when you have soap in your eyes :)

anyone???

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

anyone???

Id say to check if there is air or dirt in it... if you take off the cover ther is a round white plastic peace about 30mm in diameter if you take that out and clean out the insde of it might work ( there is a built in valve so no need to turn off the water ) to bleed it of air when you have ths done there is another plastc peace facing to the left and shaped lke a cog... open this slightly and bleed similar to a rad until the air is gone if any...

MAKE SURE AND TURN OFF POWER TO THE SHOWER BEFORE REMOVING LID

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭MingulayJohnny

Hey everybody , I have a Triton T90 Si in the flat that I rent , it cycles from hot to cold every 10-15 secs. The landlady claims that she had a repair man around and he gave it a service , which is obviously bull****. How and ever every time I turn the shower on a Sulphur like smell comes from the shower for about thirty seconds. Does anybody know if this could be down to a blocked filter or is it connected to sewage somehow? It's been giving me a sore throat lately after taking a shower. I never had a power shower in any place I've ever lived before and I'm a bit ignorant about them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

Triton t 90 is one of the worst showers you can fit in your house not only does it use a tremdous amount of electricty as a BER rating on your house will tell you and gives a performance of a watering can but can also scald you if it starts going faulty , how about fitting a thermostatic one for the same price and giving you the shower of your life with 7 settings on it for low or full boost .
    there is a new power shower out our plumber fitted one and its a dream to be under it . medium, powerful & hard settings on it .all for 500e never use a triton again .

its not a power shower you have its a electric shower , take shower out of holster and let it hang down towards floor , turn on shower, turn it to the cold setting all the way run it for a few mins , this sometimes clears any airlocks in shower . then slowly turn it back to last hot settings.
    if it was a power shower it would not act up , that type of shower are poor quality and give the performace of a watering can .

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

.... how about fitting a thermostatic one for the same price and giving you the shower of your life with 7 settings on it for low or full boost .
    there is a new power shower out our plumber fitted one and its a dream to be under it . medium, powerful & hard settings on it .all for 500e never use a triton again .

Can you give us a pointer to the product you are talking about?

I presume this shower you are referring to pumps the water but doesn't heat it. Is that right?

if you look up a plumber called a+a in yellow pages he will fill u in on the one fitted for me .it is a power shower full thermostatic which means it mixes the water auto and uses very little hot water .
    with a triton you have to heat water twice , this system only once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

if you look up a plumber called a+a in yellow pages he will fill u in on the one fitted for me .

Rather than having us call Joe the Plumber, could you gave us the make and model ? Would be easier to just google it.

The one i have is call a Horizon B 20 .
    just got out of it 10 min ago what a shower, i pity those people that have them tritons .

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

The one i have is call a Horizon B 20 .
    just got out of it 10 min ago what a shower, i pity those people that have them tritons .

Couldn't find anything on the internet about it. If you find out more let us know.

well as far as i know that plumber brings them in himself , thats why he can fit them reasonable .

sounds and smells as if its burning out fast, melt down will be next Tritons are trash .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mfitz53

My Triton t90xr wont stop leaking ater i turn it off. Its two years old, any suggestions?

mfitz53 wrote: »
    My Triton t90xr wont stop leaking ater i turn it off. Its two years old, any suggestions?

Most likely dirt catching in the vavle. possibly a dodgy seal. Where do you live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

wonder who will bump this thread next, and when

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Demps

Didnt have to wait too long for a "bump"

Couple of questions I am replacing a 9 year ols Triton T90si with a T90xr

1. Have been told all connections are same and should be easy enough job - true?
    2. How much should it cost for electrician to install (Shower will be provided)?

Thanks for replies

hi all the conections are the same , so its a straight swap , the tank in attic may need to be drained down , about 100e it should cost . i know of a guy who could do it for you .

• Advertisement

Demps wrote: »
    Didnt have to wait too long for a "bump"

Couple of questions I am replacing a 9 year ols Triton T90si with a T90xr

1. Have been told all connections are same and should be easy enough job - true?
    2. How much should it cost for electrician to install (Shower will be provided)?

Thanks for replies

I do them for about 80 and supply the shower for 250 so i assume there are others as cheap or cheaper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Demps

Hogandrew/traditional can You PM me details of people - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mfitz53

hogandrew wrote: »
    Most likely dirt catching in the vavle. possibly a dodgy seal. Where do you live

Thanks for the help. Was actually dirt in the valve. most appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Hi folks, triton t90xr has stopped workingish, less than a year old.

Pull on cord and red light goes on, power to pull cord but no orange light on shower, pull on and off cord and power light on shower comes on, shower works as normal till it dies could be 2,3,4 minutes.

Stopped using shower and googled problem, there was some carbon dust inside case after I removed it (took all safety precautions) and it seems that the motor was not secured properly (to my untrained eye) the backet at the top had no screw securing it to the body of the case and motor was able to move, I presume it should be fairly rigid. I secured the backet and motor put back on front and tried shower, no good.

I cleaned the brushes (that I could see) around the motor with compressed air can for cleaning computer equipment and again tried shower, put switch to cold and thermo to 1 and it worked. Pull rip cord off and on and guess what, no go, so pull on and off and power light comes on, bit of hit and miss here.

Herself admits to pressing on off button then pulling cord so she won't get initial cold blast of water when using shower. The brother is a sparkie so will be talking to him. Is there a 'trip' switch or similar that has gone u/s or have we burned out something by using the pull cord as an on off switch.

Don't worry we won't be using the shower till I get it checked out by the brother but would like to be able to tell him that the experts on Boards think its either A or B that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

Sorry for bumping up the old thread.
    I have triton 90si and it had stopped working recenlty. It makes a usual noise but a lot quiter. The pressure is lower as well. I've opened a cover and discoverd a lot of black resedue on the cover. Filter is clean. I've started the shower with the cover open and it seems that the rotor is not rotating.
    Does that sounds like a motor failure? Should I bother with buying a new one or just get the whole unit replaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Replace it. Cheapest supplier Woodies DIY Troton T90 8.5KW

Cost for fitting between 150 and 300 depending on whats to be done. PM me if you want more advice.

ps it might be only the brushes in the motor. but it will take time to figure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Cost for fitting between 150 and 300 depending on whats to be done. PM me if you want more advice.
    As mentioned previously this is a handy diy job when replacing like with like. Screw in the cables and push fit water pipe. I've done two myself (parents and own house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭ankles

What about replacing not like with like. Have a Khlind (I think) electric shower in a house just bought. Never heats the water, have no idea how old it is (20 years?). Want to put in a Triton but among the many useful items the current set-up has is a big tap marked water volume that you have to turn on first. Guess its a plumbing electrical knock a hole in the wall sort of job. Any ideas of the cost of that?

Paul_D wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping up the old thread.
    I have triton 90si and it had stopped working recenlty. It makes a usual noise but a lot quiter. The pressure is lower as well. I've opened a cover and discoverd a lot of black resedue on the cover. Filter is clean. I've started the shower with the cover open and it seems that the rotor is not rotating.
    Does that sounds like a motor failure? Should I bother with buying a new one or just get the whole unit replaced?

if you take the cover off the motor and try spinning it yourself with a screwdriver or something it sometimes solves the problem. Most likely wont but worth a shot. no harm in ringing your local triton sales and servicing and asking for thr cost of fixing it

it would cost 300euro to have someone supply and fit a new one so you can compare the cost of replacing the motor/brushes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Paul_D

hogandrew wrote: »
    if you take the cover off the motor and try spinning it yourself with a screwdriver or something it sometimes solves the problem. Most likely wont but worth a shot. no harm in ringing your local triton sales and servicing and asking for thr cost of fixing it

it would cost 300euro to have someone supply and fit a new one so you can compare the cost of replacing the motor/brushes

I did this and it was fairly obvious that it's one of the brushes (the electric sparks constatly come out of it). Im not going to bother with ordering a new motor/brushes, just going to replace the whole unit since the landlord is paying for it.

Advertisement