Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90si stopped working. Repair or replace?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

Right I have another shower issue. The water pressure is gone and to have the water hot i need to have it on 10. Normally 3 was enough.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Dirty water inlet filter if it takes cold water....it is at the very end of the cold pipe in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

THEFRIDGE wrote: »
    Right I have another shower issue. The water pressure is gone and to have the water hot i need to have it on 10. Normally 3 was enough.
    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

Reduced water pressure or water flow will make the shower get hotter. So turning the dial to 10, which reduces the water flow would not be what would fix that, that would make it even hotter again.

Turning up the temperature dial actually reduces the water flow from an instant shower, which increases the water temperature out of the shower, and this is the last thing anyone would do with a shower that has a flow problem, as this makes the water hotter anyway. Its to the cooler end that users would turn the dial if the filter was blocked or if pressure/flow rate was too low.

Is it a t90? If you have to increase the dial position to 10, it sounds like one half of the element has stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭THEFRIDGE

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Reduced water pressure or water flow will make the shower get hotter. So turning the dial to 10, which reduces the water flow would not be what would fix that, that would make it even hotter again.

Turning up the temperature dial actually reduces the water flow from an instant shower, which increases the water temperature out of the shower, and this is the last thing anyone would do with a shower that has a flow problem, as this makes the water hotter anyway. Its to the cooler end that users would turn the dial if the filter was blocked or if pressure/flow rate was too low.

Is it a t90? If you have to increase the dial position to 10, it sounds like one half of the element has stopped working.

Yes it's a triton t90si. I have no choice but to turn the temp dial up as it just isn't hot enough to have a shower. The water pressure was fine and this just happened all ofa sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I had a T90 for ten years then just got it replaced with a T90si last year.
    So thought I would add a few things here based on my experience.

I live in a really hard water (lots of lime) area. I have to clean the shower head and de-lime it at least once every 2 weeks.
    Take off the shower head and use a descaler or white vinegar as suggested by others already.

Sometimes I use a straightened paperclip to poke the yuckiness out of the shower head holes.

If you don't keep the lime from building up it can cause more and more damage over time, which I think then burns out the element = €€€€€

Try to turn the water to cold for the last minute before turning the shower off.

Turn off the switch after use - mine is the string one hanging from ceiling.

If you have bought a new Triton shower - Triton give a one year guarantee - read Terms & Conditions from them - but I've found it is easy to deal with them. There is usually a local company in your area which has the contract for them.

I bought a new boxed Triton T90si from my local plumbing wholesaler suppliers and think it was about €160 and then paid around €80 to get it installed.

tldr : Clean the lime out of the showerhead! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭dhoun

Looks like Tritons are the Ladas of the shower world ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

dhoun wrote: »
    Looks like Tritons are the Ladas of the shower world ...

Looks can be decieving. They are actually the opposite. Very dependable very reliable prob a toyota or volkswagen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

@ Joey,

If a mains feed shower (T80 Triton) doesnt have enough pressure thats recommended (8/9 litres water a min) can you put a smallish power pump onto the feed thats taken off the mains to get it up so that the shower can work.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

mad m wrote: »
    @ Joey,

If a mains feed shower (T80 Triton) doesnt have enough pressure thats recommended (8/9 litres water a min) can you put a smallish power pump onto the feed thats taken off the mains to get it up so that the shower can work.....

Yes a t450i or single impeller pump is the common pump used but its taken off the tank not the mains.. o am guessing you dont have the ability to do this. Am i right...Sorry i missed this comment.

foxinsox wrote: »
    I had a T90 for ten years then just got it replaced with a T90si last year.
    So thought I would add a few things here based on my experience.

I live in a really hard water (lots of lime) area. I have to clean the shower head and de-lime it at least once every 2 weeks.
    Take off the shower head and use a descaler or white vinegar as suggested by others already.

Sometimes I use a straightened paperclip to poke the yuckiness out of the shower head holes.

If you don't keep the lime from building up it can cause more and more damage over time, which I think then burns out the element = €€€€€

The limescale builds up on the elements anyway, and if it gets too thick, will insulate the elements from the water, causing them to overheat, trip the overheat cutout, and then it goes cold. After 10 or so seconds, with water still flowing, now after cooling it, it will reset. So cycling hot and cold would be a sign to watch out for, of scaled up elements.
    Try to turn the water to cold for the last minute before turning the shower off.
    This is a good idea, it cools the elements quickly, and can help reduce scale buildup.
    Turn off the switch after use - mine is the string one hanging from ceiling.
    This one has been discussed on the electrical forum a few times, and the general view is they are best left on. I agree with that view myself.

The switches are actually designed as isoators for maintenance of the shower. Operating them each time the shower is used shortens the switch life, particularly the pullchord ones. I think the manufacturers recommend switching them off alright. But there really is no need to.
    I bought a new boxed Triton T90si from my local plumbing wholesaler suppliers and think it was about €160 and then paid around €80 to get it installed.

That seems very cheap, i assume you supplied the cable, isolator, RCBO, pipe and fittings etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

Yes a t450i or single impeller pump is the common pump used but its taken off the tank not the mains.. o am guessing you dont have the ability to do this. Am i right...Sorry i missed this comment.

Yeah your 100% right, cant take a feed off the tank.....Pain in the arse....Would that type of pump need to be wired to fuse board or can you get a type to just plug in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

Hi all.

I have a t90si shower had it for about 2 or 3 years id say. I live in hard water area and last few times its gone relaly bad with hot and cold temp when in the shower like literally seconds apart. I switched off the power and took out the heater can assembly. Got a small mountain of limescale out from it. Put it back in seals and wires all back the way they came out (I think). I went to switch it on today and guess what. NO POWER :eek:.

The bulb for the pull cord on ceiling is gone so cant even be sure if this is coming on and its the shower or if I have messed up the power to it somehow. Any ideas?

Sorted. I missed the blue mains cable that connects to the prong at the back on the left of the heater can. I know very little about showers but this seems to have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

Hi I recently put in a t90 safeguard. It low pressure light is flashing meaning its a flow switch assembly problem... I took this out last night and put it back in and it went fine but same problem today. I haven't done much at these so wondering if its a flow switch problem and it needs replacing or if pressure is too low. Although it seems fine and was running for a week or 2. Any thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 flahertyj1

i have the t90si and all of a sudden its stopped working , there is no water comming out of the shower unit, i have checked the filter that was clean and also blead the unit . the shower is not making any funny noises so anyone got an idea, its 70 euro for a technician to call out and parts on top of that.

flahertyj1 wrote: »
    i have the t90si and all of a sudden its stopped working , there is no water comming out of the shower unit, i have checked the filter that was clean and also blead the unit . the shower is not making any funny noises so anyone got an idea, its 70 euro for a technician to call out and parts on top of that.

Is it completely silent? Is the indicator light on the shower unit lighting?

Did you check the trip switch for it at the mcb board?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RedDevil1967

Checked the pump, it's okay. Changed the brushes aswell. The pressure tends to go up and down though (slow and fast) Hot and Cold and it is also Quite Noisy. Any suggestions as to why this is happening despite what iv done for it already?

Advertisement