Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pointing existing domain to new site hosted elsewhere

Options
  • 12-03-2007 10:57am

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the forum for this question but I'm stuck with a problem and was hoping for some guidance.

I've created a new site, hosted by Hosting365.
    I haven't registered any domain with it, so, at the moment, I can only FTP and access the Control Panel for the account.

I'm setting up the site for a friend, who already has a site at a different location, under a domain name.

How can I get this existing domain name to point to the new site, the new one I'm hosting?
    Would I have to talk directly to his organisation and ask them to update the DNS entries? Or is there another party that would have to do this?

Sorry if it's all a bit vague, I'm still piecing together some things and the mind is a bit fuddled, any help or pointers would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

you have to get the DNS updated to point to hosting365 dns servers!

I presume that's easy enough to do, yeah?

I'd say I'll have to get permission from the owners of the existing domain name but I presume their IT guys could update their DNS to point to this new site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Two options:

DNS update

Forward the domain

The domain forwarding sounds like an idea alright, is that setup on the DNS level or is it a simple redirect off the main web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

MoonHawk wrote:
    The domain forwarding sounds like an idea alright, is that setup on the DNS level or is it a simple redirect off the main web site?

That's normally a redirect

• Advertisement

Ok, sounds good so, I'll give that a try.

Thanks for your patience and information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Hi MoonHawk, if you register the domain with hosting365 ,the nameservers will default to hosting365 and you just have to then add the domain to your control panel.

Or if you wish to register the domain somewhere else, just make sure the nameservers are set as;

ns1.hosting365.ie
    ns2.hosting365.ie

Nice one,thanks for the info.

I might go ahead and register a domain and set up the other site to redirect to that, I could be waiting a while for his organisation to update their side of things.

I'll keep a note of those name servers, thanks, getting closer to sorting this out :)

Advertisement