Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Named driver insurance

Options
  • 12-03-2007 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

can i become a named driver for a certain period of time, say 1 week or 1 month? and then once i pass a test, i'll get a car and insure it on my own name?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I wouldnt see why not. If a parent for example has a policy already i think they just need to call and add your deatails ...then you can cancel as soon as you want to take out your own policy.

Best thing to do is get the insurance companies number and ring and ask .. that way you ll have the 100% correct answer to ur question

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Being a named driver lasts for the remaining duration of the policy. However, Im sure its possible to add you and then once you want to be removed you can ask the insurance company to remove you.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,986 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You can be taken off as named driver and get a refund from the insurance company minus an administration fee. How reasonable or extortionate the administration fee for removing you is depends on the insurance company. I was a named driver with AXA and the administration fee was something like €50. I've heard of other companies that charge an obscene administration fee though.

Advertisement