Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting laptop to mini server, nas hdd

Options
  • 12-03-2007 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

Hi I bought this for the office
    I've connected my PC and netopia modem + router to it. All is working fine except I can't connect a second device (laptop) to it. The Laptop usually connects wirelessly to the network (netopia modem). When I go to
    192.168.1.1 it says web page unavailable? The laptops internet connection is working fine though. How do I connect to the Laptop to the storage gateway?

Thanks

steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Is the Laptop part of the same Workgroup as the NAS unit and the other PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Em.....:confused: I don't know how can i find out that out if it is part of the same workgroup?

Right click on My Computer, select Properties, then select the Network Identification Tab. You will see the name of the Workgroup here.
    If you need to change it there is a properties button on this which will allow you to change it.

There is a setting in the NAS appliance for the workgroup name.

ok they're on the same workgroup
    what next....how do I make the laptop see the server?
    Sorry basic question...nooby!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Can the laptop see the other computer? Did you try to ping the NAS device from the laptop? Also try connecting to the NAS device via a cabled connection to the laptop.

• Advertisement

how does one ping now?

I've seen it done from dos

do i go into dos and type ping 192.168.1.1?

what do i do then?

Open up DOS Prompt (Start - Run - CMD)
    Type PING 192.168.1.1

You will get a reply telling you if a response was received or not.

If you get a response then you can ping it, if you don't you can't.

Have you a firewall on the Laptop? If so, try disabling it and see if you can connect.

Advertisement