Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Something wrong with my car

Options
  • 12-03-2007 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Today, When I started my car, it would not move. When I tried to pull off, it acted like the handbrake was still on or it wasnt in gear, i revved it a little to see would it go but it just conked out. After a few attempts, it did move. Anyone know what causes this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

when you say a few attempts, did you go neutral to first each time? gears might not have been engaging properly?

need more details tbh, make/year/model etc, Im sure someone else will be in to berate you in a moment ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭AsphaltRisin'

Was there any weird burning smell? Your clutch could be in trouble...
    Did the engine seem to be running ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Could be your handbrake was stuck, i.e. brake pads stuck to the drum ...happens sometimes, especially when it's damp outside and the car is parked up for a while ...the two parts basically rust together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Sounds to me like the brake shoes are stuck on. If it was me I'd give it a quick "jerk" forward and back in reverse and first to check. That's just me though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

peasant wrote:
    Could be your handbrake was stuck, i.e. brake pads stuck to the drum ...happens sometimes, especially when it's damp outside and the car is parked up for a while ...the two parts basically rust together.

Just got in there before me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

00, Daewoo lanos

Yeah, I went to neutral to first each time, trying, then tried to reverse, same thing happened.

Didnt notice any burning smell either

Car was only parked from 9.30 pm last night to 9.00 am this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

peasant wrote:

Brake pads stuck to the DRUM, ehhh, yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

peasant wrote:
    :) Ya gotta love the net!

Darragh29 wrote:
    Brake pads stuck to the DRUM, ehhh, yeah!

err, actually, yes !

It does happen ...that's why you shouldn't park your car for weeks with the handbrake engaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

peasant wrote:
    err, actually, yes !

It does happen ...that's why you shouldn't park your car for weeks with the handbrake engaged.

is it safe to leave it in gear for long periods of time as an alternative to it getting pushed onto the back of a lorry?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yep it does!
    Happened my Sis's car the other week.
    She bought it 2nd hand and left it at my house, parked on a hill for 2 1/2 weeks with handbrake on.
    When she tried to move the shoe had stuck to the drum and the jerking she did to try to remove it removed the shoe and it got stuck.
    (well it got stuck or the garage didn't fit the shoe properly:eek: )
    I had to remove the pad from the drum and bring the car back to the garage.
    Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Think what he's getting at is pads don't go with drums.
    Pads on discs and shoes on drums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Ok, So anybody any idea how much this will cost me?

Wossack wrote:
    is it safe to leave it in gear for long periods of time as an alternative to it getting pushed onto the back of a lorry?

Leaving it in gear doeas no harm and if you want to play it safe you put chocks under the wheels as well (if it's parked for longer or on a slope)

$Leon$ wrote:
    Think what he's getting at is pads don't go with drums.
    Pads on discs and shoes on drums

Ah well ...seenashow English isn't my first language ....:D

nollaig wrote:
    Ok, So anybody any idea how much this will cost me?

If it only was stuck and has freed up now (test if the handbrake is working properly) it won't cost you anything.

Advertisement