Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4 X 4 ,what to buy ?

Options
  • 12-03-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

looking to get a 4 x 4 .Got a loan of an Isuzu Trooper 3L.Loved driving it but expensive enough to run.

Is there a 4 x 4 reasonable on fuel?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Suzuki

Vitara 2.0 TD or 1.6 petrol (or 1.3 litre Jimny, if you like dinky :D )

As long as you don't want to haul mini-diggers around you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

The new Vitara is a 1.9dcci(?) Renault engine. I would not go for the 1.6 petrol, it's a 3 door and is a bit thirsty.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

texanman wrote:
    looking to get a 4 x 4 .Got a loan of an Isuzu Trooper 3L.Loved driving it but expensive enough to run.

Is there a 4 x 4 reasonable on fuel?

Thanks
    It depends what you need it for. Any 4x4 will be harder on fuel than an equivalent car. What do you need the 4x4 to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭texanman

Well I want the 4 x 4 for pulling trailers,light use.
    I also do video work.Weddings ect and a nice 4 x 4 would do both jobs instead of having to buy a car and upgrade the van.
    I hired a Jimny on holidays and loved it,bit small for my job though

It was one similar to this i had the loan of.

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=587321

Im tempted.

Tex

texanman wrote:
    Well I want the 4 x 4 for pulling trailers,light use.
    I also do video work.Weddings ect and a nice 4 x 4 would do both jobs instead of having to buy a car and upgrade the van.
    I hired a Jimny on holidays and loved it,bit small for my job though
    If you don't actually need to go off-road, then i'd recommend a diesel estate. It'll be more economical, more comfortable, better-handling & safer.

• Advertisement

I do go off road ,down fields to empty a trailer of grass.
    Suzuki Vitara seems nice, expensive 2nd hand .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Golferx

Suzuki have never used Renault engines.

4x4 like the Trooper will give only about 25mpg, a diesel Vitara, maybe 10mpg more, the petrol Vitara about 30mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I reckon the current Vitara uses a Renault engine, old one had PSA 2.0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Isnt there a 4x4 version of the Skoda Octvia estate available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

The current Vitara uses the Fiat Jtd diesel engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

When looking for an oil filter for a new Vitara, I was told it was the a Renault 1.9 engine. The customer hasn't come back with any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Anan1 wrote:
    If you don't actually need to go off-road, then i'd recommend a diesel estate. It'll be more economical, more comfortable, better-handling & safer.

Good advice but i presume he would be able to get commercial road tax on a 4 x 4 for the wedding video business - can you do the same with a diesel estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Rav4 td or Vitara td. They will give you reasonable mpg. The bigger 4x4's will get 20-30mpg at best. That said, there is lots of Landcruisers for sale. If you dont need rear seating, then a commercial would be cheaper to run.
    Steer clear of Isuzu, they are not very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

you haven't mentioned money, so what about a santa fe?

its not 4X4 is two wheel drive, would it need to be for pulling a trailer and parking in the park car of hotels for weddings?

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=598790

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Bears

i agree santa fea is awsome and the newer model looks great to. changed from tuscon to santa and really happy with it

gyppo wrote:
    Isnt there a 4x4 version of the Skoda Octvia estate available?
    Yes, but I think RHD cars only came with the 1.8T engine. Same deal with the Forester unfortunately, a diesel Forester would have done the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i was about to post a similar thread..

OP i hope you dont mind a little hijack....
    can someone recommend a 2 seater 4x4, any make/model/year.. just something i can look up on autotrader etc to get prices on

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

lazygit wrote:
    i was about to post a similar thread..

OP i hope you dont mind a little hijack....
    can someone recommend a 2 seater 4x4, any make/model/year.. just something i can look up on autotrader etc to get prices on

Toyota Rav4, Honda HR-V, Suzuki Vitara, Suzuki Jimny, Mitsubishi Pajero Junior, Nissan Qashqui (spelling?).

Note, none of the above mentioned are really designed for much off road ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

lazygit wrote:
    can someone recommend a 2 seater 4x4

I suppose you mean a commercial 4x4 and not this woeful contraption? :D

250px-X90silver.jpg

@bazz
    once again, I have to protest at your "not designed for offroad" in regards to the Suzuki Jimny.

You can't get more off-roady than two solid axles on coils and selectable 4WD with full reduction transfer box ...all of which the Jimny has got.

prospect wrote:
    The current Vitara uses the Fiat Jtd diesel engine.

AFAIK the Suzuki SX4 uses a Fiat JTD engine but the Vitara uses the Renault 1.9 dCI

• Advertisement

Rav4 td or Vitara td. They will give you reasonable mpg. The bigger 4x4's will get 20-30mpg at best. That said, there is lots of Landcruisers for sale. If you dont need rear seating, then a commercial would be cheaper to run.
    Steer clear of Isuzu, they are not very reliable.

I'll look at the landcruisers ,whats the mpg on them??

Land Cruiser approx 30mpg combined for the 6 speed and around 27 for the 5 speed.

The landcruiser seems expensine 2nd hand.Isuzu is much cheaper. why ???

cause the Isuzu is 5hite and the Toyota isn't.

Thanks Colm for the honest reply.

I'm biassed though ;) I might be lying because I can't offer an objective opinion on anything Toyota related!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I work in forestry here in Australia so Offroad capability is tested in our vehicles. I would recomendthe landcruiser if you want something large or the suzuki if you want something small,however the vehicle best suited to your needs is the Subaru Forester, dont touch the Isuzu, steamin pile of horse****, same goes for Kia's and Hyundais (i mean seriously a 2WD jeep, hah)

colm_mcm wrote:
    AFAIK the Suzuki SX4 uses a Fiat JTD engine but the Vitara uses the Renault 1.9 dCI

Oooh, hadn't thought about that. I was thinking about the SX4... my bad....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Kia Sorrento
    Nissan Quasqai 1.6litre petrol 25grand.

• Advertisement

dont touch the Isuzu, steamin pile of horse****, same goes for Kia's and Hyundais (i mean seriously a 2WD jeep, hah)

I know two farmers who have/had Kia Sorrentos and they both rate them very highly. One changed it and now regrets it. So they may not be in Landcruiser league, but I wouldn't think they deserve to be branded as a "steamin pile of horse****"

P

Advertisement